Do we get to see Hardhome?

Winter prince

One my favorite mysteries is Hardhome, both the original settlement that was destroyed and the new Wildling refuge camp.  Do you think we'll get a POV there?  Maybe a Cotter Pyke prologue?  Or do you think it will be left a mystery and we'll only get a small account from Tormund?

32 minutes ago, Lord Lannister said:

Part of me happens to like mysteries like this. Usually when they get spelled out they end up being disappointing compared to what's in one's imagination.

I can't disagree with that.  The mysteries behind the Doom and Hardhome are awesome but there is that voice deep down that wants to know

2 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

Part of me happens to like mysteries like this. Usually when they get spelled out they end up being disappointing compared to what's in one's imagination.

Yes! That's why I hope we don't ever find out what happened to Tysha. And I also don't want to know about the truth behind Bran the Builder, at least nothing which isn't relevant to the plot.

44 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Yes! That's why I hope we don't ever find out what happened to Tysha. And I also don't want to know about the truth behind Bran the Builder, at least nothing which isn't relevant to the plot.

I really hope we never find out about Tysha or where whores go

The cool thing about Hardhome, for me, is what is said about it by several characters. It's like a proxy build. If I were a writer, I'd leave it like that, and I suspect George is a writer that likes to create an 'aura' around a place but never get to write about it directly. It's cool by me, if I was forced to make a stance, I'd say nope, no Hardhome POV's please. George's not obliged to give detailed descriptions of every place he might just intends to paint as mysterious. 

I think we see it from Davos's POV.   He left White Harbor at about the half-way point of ADWD, so would have arrived in the area at about the right time.  No way is his story a simple out and back to pick up Rickon.  George doesnt play that way.   Either he gets Rickon and then joins the evacuation, or his ship is one of the ones impressed by Cotter Pyke at Eastwatch   Either way, I think Davos is there.

6 hours ago, Winter prince said:

One my favorite mysteries is Hardhome, both the original settlement that was destroyed and the new Wildling refuge camp.  Do you think we'll get a POV there?  Maybe a Cotter Pyke prologue?  Or do you think it will be left a mystery and we'll only get a small account from Tormund?

5 hours ago, Lord Lyman said:

We might get a prologue. If anything it would show the advancement of the white walkers towards the wall. Although, given that the last prologue was set in the north, the one for TWOW might be in another region.

I thought GRRM mentioned Jeyne Westerling would show up in the Prologue, so that would mean no Hardhome.

50 minutes ago, Nevets said:

I think we see it from Davos's POV.   He left White Harbor at about the half-way point of ADWD, so would have arrived in the area at about the right time.  No way is his story a simple out and back to pick up Rickon.  George doesnt play that way.   Either he gets Rickon and then joins the evacuation, or his ship is one of the ones impressed by Cotter Pyke at Eastwatch   Either way, I think Davos is there.

That would be really cool. There's definitely something going on with the Davos storyline we're not supposed to know yet. He should either already be back with Rickon or he is doing something completely different, and my money is on the latter option.

EDIT: Just realized this:

That is my price, Lord Davos. Smuggle me back my liege lord, and I will take Stannis Baratheon as my king.

Since the Manderlys know Rickon is alive, they must know Bran is as well. That means, in order to get Manderly's liege lord, Davos would have to find Bran, not Rickon. Therefore, he'd have to go north of the Wall...

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

This would be awesome.  I didn't think of that as an option and I would really enjoy it 

34 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

I loved the show version but was going to leave the idea out of the book forum.

sorry. the scene was so iconic in the show, and its one of rare times that the show knows something the books don't, so i thought it was worth bringing up. 

13 hours ago, Ser Scott Malkinson said:

Since the Manderlys know Rickon is alive, they must know Bran is as well. That means, in order to get Manderly's liege lord, Davos would have to find Bran, not Rickon. Therefore, he'd have to go north of the Wall...

I don't think so. Wex followed them until they split, and he chose to follow Rickon. So they probably know Bran survived Winterfell but they have no way of knowing where he is of that he's still alive. 

14 hours ago, Nevets said:

George doesnt play that way.   Either he gets Rickon and then joins the evacuation, or his ship is one of the ones impressed by Cotter Pyke at Eastwatch   Either way, I think Davos is there.

This is pretty much the only way I would want to actually see Hardhome. Hopefully he could get Rickon off the ship before going north. 

1 minute ago, Lord Vance II said:

I don't think so. Wex followed them until they split, and he chose to follow Rickon. So they probably know Bran survived Winterfell but they have no way of knowing where he is of that he's still alive.

I'm not saying the Manderlys (or anyone else) know where Bran is, but in order to find Manderly's liege lord, Davos would either have to find Bran or find Rickon and prove Bran is dead. Maybe Davos first found Rickon and Osha and then Osha could tell Davos Bran was going beyond the Wall, prompting Davos to go to Hardhome to look for him.

While this would be awesome, I don't think it is what will happen. Manderly could have worded it the way he did so Davos would bring him Rickon and Manderly could get out of his promise to support Stannis because Rickon isn't his liege lord.

8 hours ago, Maester of Valyria said:

I think we might see Hardhome in terms of flashbacks or through the weirnet, but I doubt that we'll get a POV there.

As for the whole 'mystery' of Hardhome: that one's easy, it was destroyed by a volcano.

I really like your write up on this one.  Very thorough, thanks. :)

Archived