Some thoughts and a question on Wylla, and a specific choice of wording by Edric.

Macgregor of the North

We need someone with a ton Westerosi clout for R+L=J to be believed. Howland Reed by himself isn't going to convince many folks. They have such a poor assumption of crannogmen there that he won't be taken seriously. Bran won't be much better...he's a kid and a cripple. The only person who would be believed by the noble families, would be another respected noble family like the Daynes. (although, I do have a theory that the readers will learn the truth, but most of the characters 'in story' won't.) Jon may learn the truth, but choose not to reveal it.

We'll need more than Wylla confirming it as well. (...she may know that Jon isn't Ned's or Ashara's, but not who the real parents are.)

Arthur Dayne himself would have the credibility, but I'm not going down that rabbit hole, since I do think he perished at the TOJ.

20 minutes ago, Balerion's Whiskers said:

(although, I do have a theory that the readers will learn the truth, but most of the characters 'in story' won't.) Jon may learn the truth, but choose not to reveal it.

That is the path that I have been leaning toward.

2 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

That is the path that I have been leaning toward.

Here's a quote that would fit with this assumption. GRRM wrote it with one scenario in mind, but it does double duty.

For the rest of his life—however long that might be—he would be condemned to be an outsider, the silent man standing in the shadows who dares not speak his true name. Wherever he might go throughout the Seven Kingdoms, he would need to live a lie, lest every man's hand be raised against him.

@Macgregor of the North in case your interested, there was a long debate on this subject in the R+L=J threads last year. Here and here are some of my thoughts on the idea. Let me just say, I don't think the wet nurse in Winterfell is Wylla. It would make no sense for Ned to bring her there or to King's Landing when he tells Robert of Lyanna's death and likely tells him Wylla's name for the first time. I won't go over all the debate here, but if your interested, I think you might like some of the discussion.

5 minutes ago, SFDanny said:

@Macgregor of the North in case your interested, there was a long debate on this subject in the R+L=J threads last year. Here and here are some of my thoughts on the idea. Let me just say, I don't think the wet nurse in Winterfell is Wylla. It would make no sense for Ned to bring her there or to King's Landing when he tells Robert of Lyanna's death and likely tells him Wylla's name for the first time. I won't go over all the debate here, but if your interested, I think you might like some of the discussion.

Cheers, I had a scan. We are on the same page man ;).

I believe Wylla sits in Starfall at current time and will possibly appear in the story. Edric says she still serves the Daynes(as of his convo with Arya in 299AC).

12 hours ago, Balerion's Whiskers said:

We need someone with a ton Westerosi clout for R+L=J to be believed. Howland Reed by himself isn't going to convince many folks. They have such a poor assumption of crannogmen there that he won't be taken seriously. Bran won't be much better...he's a kid and a cripple. The only person who would be believed by the noble families, would be another respected noble family like the Daynes. (although, I do have a theory that the readers will learn the truth, but most of the characters 'in story' won't.) Jon may learn the truth, but choose not to reveal it.

We'll need more than Wylla confirming it as well. (...she may know that Jon isn't Ned's or Ashara's, but not who the real parents are.)

Arthur Dayne himself would have the credibility, but I'm not going down that rabbit hole, since I do think he perished at the TOJ.

To reply to this post as a whole, I think what your saying only applies if we assume that we want the whole realm to believe that Jon is Rhaegars son so he can sit the Iron throne as a true heir, or something to that effect. 

That may not even be GRRMS plan, I'm not convinced it is if I'm honest.

What we really need is confirmation for ourselves and people like Howland, Bran and possibly a Wylla/Edric convo or something can do that.

You touched on it yourself, it may not even be a whole realm known fact in the end. Jon having ice and fire blood may even have some other meaning entirely for the story, and Jon being a legitimate candidate for the Iron throne never comes into it so mass amounts of people believing it may not even matter.

3 hours ago, Macgregor of the North said:

You touched on it yourself, it may not even be a whole realm known fact in the end. Jon having ice and fire blood may even have some other meaning entirely for the story, and Jon being a legitimate candidate for the Iron throne never comes into it so mass amounts of people believing it may not even matter.

This is a very good point. his paretage would be important for those who support him in his mission and not neccesarily the whole realm.

I'm not convinced that Jon is destined for the Iron Throne either. That may be his destiny, but something seems 'off' about it. Yes, the only way that the realm will need convincing of R+L=J, is if that's his path. In the end, the only folks who might care could be the readers.

I believe that the fan fiction currently playing out on HBO is taking a very different path. (yes, I watch it and yes, I enjoy it, but don't take it seriously)

Jon is so 'Ice' and of the North. He has absolutely no southern inclinations. When we get Winds and his resurrection that may change, but I'm not anticipating it.

Circling back to the original question. I believe Wylla stayed in Dorne and another wetnurse brought Jon to Winterfell. As others have stated, things could get uncomfortable if Wylla was there and the story came out that she was Jon's mother. Having her safely tucked away in Dorne, assured Ned that he could use that story if he needed to.

@Macgregor of the North Thanks for the tag! Sorry for the late reply!

On 30-10-2016 at 2:28 AM, Tini said:

It's quite fortunate that she died, isn't it?

Her death is shrouded in mystery - no one knows why she commited suicide, her body was never found.
Was it really suicide? Was it an accident? Or was she murdered? If she didn't die, where did she go?
Was it part of the plan to keep Jon safe?

Crackpot theory ( I am sorry for coming up with one, @Balerion's Whiskers)  :
Edric didn't hear those family tales from Wylla at all. He had them directly from the source - from his mother, Ashara Dayne. That's why GRRM did not tell us so far how Edric Dayne fits into the Dayne family tree.

What do you mean? According to Edric, his father was the older brother of Arthur. That would make it rather clear where in the family tree Edric comes from, wouldn't it?

On 30-10-2016 at 0:32 PM, Lady Fishbiscuit said:

@Beautiful Bloody Sword @Tini

I've had the discussion around concealing Asharya's beauty on another thread. Another poster pointed out that we are told of Asharya's great beauty and her haunting violet eyes as a Barristan memory and he is clearly a bit obsessed with her.  I'm not saying that she wasn't beautiful, but she may have been less 'otherworldly' looking than Barristan believes.  As Tini says, there is very little mention of what servants look like at all or if they are attractive and it's quite easy to make a person look ordinary and unnoticeable with servants garb and dull unwashed hair or headscarf.    Again, not saying this did happen, just saying I think it's possible.

For what it is worth, Catelyn, who appears to have never personally met Ashara Dayne, recalls this

And they told how afterward Ned had carried Ser Arthur’s sword back to the beautiful young sister who awaited him in a castle called Starfall on the shores of the Summer Sea. The Lady Ashara Dayne, tall and fair, with haunting violet eyes.

So it seems that it is not purely Barristan's opinion, as these are the tales that came from the servants at Winterfell, who in turn heard it from Ned's soldiers.

1 hour ago, Rhaenys_Targaryen said:

@Macgregor of the North Thanks for the tag! Sorry for the late reply!

What do you mean? According to Edric, his father was the older brother of Arthur. That would make it rather clear where in the family tree Edric comes from, wouldn't it?

For what it is worth, Catelyn, who appears to have never personally met Ashara Dayne, recalls this

And they told how afterward Ned had carried Ser Arthur’s sword back to the beautiful young sister who awaited him in a castle called Starfall on the shores of the Summer Sea. The Lady Ashara Dayne, tall and fair, with haunting violet eyes.

So it seems that it is not purely Barristan's opinion, as these are the tales that came from the servants at Winterfell, who in turn heard it from Ned's soldiers.

Most people described the Lady as tall, fair, with haunting violet eyes - without ever having met her. The servants at Winterfell didn't, they repeated what they were told. Most of Ned's soldiers never met Ashara, either. They might have agreed if they met her - or they might have been disappointed. But that is beside the point.

The question is if Lady Ashara would've been able to hide her beauty if she so desired. I think she could have. Just choosing gowns in a color that doesn't suit her would have dulled her complexion and eye color. And Catelyn herself travelled incognito for long stretches.

As for Edric being Ashara's son, I wrote that it's a crackpot idea. Just like Ashara being Allyria's mother is, even though that would be possible, too. I just notice that we don't learn his father's name. Or that of his mother. Maybe they are just not important. Maybe we'll meet them later.

Archived