Victarion's burned Hand and his purpose

House Beaudreau

I think people like to write off Victarion's role in the final third of the the series because he was written out of the Show. Victarion is set to be a big player in the tales to come. He has made his way to Slaver's Bay in an attempt to recuse Dany or at least secure a dragon. He has a large fleet which is perfect for transporting a massive army to somewhere in the world. He controls the dragon horn which seems likely to either be a real let down or a huge powerful weapon. And what I think could lead to be most important is his Burned Hand and the backing of two religious sects. My main question here is how will Victarion's burned hand play out in his story. 

Here are some of my guess or "Theories" 

Victarion's hand will help him steal a dragon by protecting him from a burn or something. 

His hand will allow him to blow the horn himself without repercussions and cause real problems with slaves and dragons

His hand will allow him to wield Light Bringer the hero Azor Ahai's flaming and burning sword. Surely Stannis blade is a fake and if the sword does exist it would probably be really hot and hard to hold. Jon Snow also has a burned hand tho...    

George himself described Victarion as dumb as a rock, so I think thats a big reason most people write him off.  There is also the fact that Moqorro worships Dany as his savior, he is only using Victarion as a means to get to and serve her, and since he has stated he intends to basically kidknap her and steal her dragons I have a hard time believing moqorro will let him do that.  There is also the dusky woman and her definite connection to Euron who had the horn bound to himself before he gave it to Victarion.  Whatever happens when he blows the horn I just don't think it will work out for him.

The Vic sample chapter is interesting, you should check it out if you haven't already.

So, I always just assumed Victarion was basically Charon here, generally devoid of personality, whose only role is to ferry Dany from point A to point B.  I mostly get this from the prophecy, which states:

"A corpse stood at the prow of a ship, eyes bright in his dead face, grey lips smiling sadly."

"Charon" means "keen gaze," literally eyes that are bright, flashing, or fierce.  It can also refer to blue-grey eyes, weirdly enough.  It might have also been a euphemism for death.  Virgil and Dante described him as having eyes of fire.  

To me, the prophecy is just a word salad translation of "Charon," and connects directly to Victarion.  As such, that hand would be a connection to the dead somehow, although god help me I have no friggin idea how.

I am inclined to believe Victarion will not play a role. He is the least interesting of the Greyjoys. We probably don't have anything important to learn from him anymore. And there is the sword of Damocles hanging above him in the shape of the dusky woman, the dragon horn and Euron himself - in my opinion one of the three will do for him.

As a side note - what his burned hand has reminded me of first of all was Dumbledore's blackened hand in Harry Potter. It was just an association however one implying that Victarion is already dying from the inside. If not him physically, then his importance as a character is fading away.

13 minutes ago, shmewdog said:

the burned hand makes it harder for him to jerk off to thoughts of fucking his niece Ahsa

Actually, he's pretty responsible when you consider how prevented many characters act in ASOIAF...

"Share the rule? How could that be?" The woman was not making sense. Does she want to be my queen? Victarion found himself looking at Asha in a way he had never looked at her before. He could feel his manhood beginning to stiffen. She is Balon's daughter, he reminded himself. He remembered her as a little girl, throwing axes at a door. He crossed his arms against his chest. "The Seastone Chair seats but one."

The Iron Captain, Feast

5 hours ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Vic is dumb, but steady as a beast of burden. If guided correctly I think he can do a lot.

I kind of like that analogy, but hesitate to go along with the d-word.  It's based off a comment GRRM made years ago.   I agree that Vic isn't worldly or clever, but he can captain a ship, navigate and execute a plan.

Victarion is dead but doesn't know it yet - note how halfway through the chapter when Moqorro changes him the POV shifts from Victarion to the third person and how afterwards he doesn't seem to notice his arm is flesh made fire

The things he does will have impact but Vicky himself... no. He's the definition of a pawn, as he's being played by Euron and by the Red Priests. What we have to find out is which of these factions he's fooled by the most. The dragon horn will be important though. The Iron Fleet as well. Even his burned hand might be more than just a show of what the Red Priests can do.

I just hope he lives long enough to sail the Dothraki Sea :rofl: 

5 hours ago, PrinceHenryris said:

I kind of like that analogy, but hesitate to go along with the d-word.  It's based off a comment GRRM made years ago.   I agree that Vic isn't worldly or clever, but he can captain a ship, navigate and execute a plan.

As a rule general officers are not stupid. 

I always thought that when the red priest 'healed' him that some sort of transformation took place. I like this alot.

10 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Victarion is dead but doesn't know it yet - note how halfway through the chapter when Moqorro changes him the POV shifts from Victarion to the third person and how afterwards he doesn't seem to notice his arm is flesh made fire

47 minutes ago, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

There are three characters with burned hands: Vic, Jon, and Sandor. Interestingly enough, both Vic and Sandor received their burns from R'hllor, while Jon received his in service to R'hllor. Marked for greatness I say.

I don't think Sandor has a burnt hand, just his face and neck!

When Jaime had his hand chopped off, it was replaced with a gold hand. Somehow, I associate his right hand and Victarion's left hand as being two sides of a coin! Honestly I have no idea for why I associate them.

4 hours ago, Victarion Chainbreaker said:

There are three characters with burned hands: Vic, Jon, and Sandor. Interestingly enough, both Vic and Sandor received their burns from R'hllor, while Jon received his in service to R'hllor. Marked for greatness I say.

How was Jon in service to R'hllor when his hand was burned? 

Archived