Let's Get Kraken

Boarders Writing a Novel Part 15

90 posts in this topic

I got a two-star review on LUCIFER'S STAR as my first review because she and I quote, "Loved the story but the protagonist wasn't very heroic and the book was very cynical." I'm not sure what to make of that.

On the plus side, I've gotten some really good reviews for Cthulhu Armageddon.

Beauty in Ruins really liked it

The Fantasy Book Critic too

The BlogGoblin liked it three

Getting sincere reviews of your book when it comes out is one of the hardest parts of independent writing but something which has the potential to really be worth it.

Yesterday, a friend of mine asked whether it would be worth it to pay $500 for a Kirkus review. My response was, "It's a sign of prestige if they like it but it won't increase sales all that much."

Which is how I feel about most paid reviews if not all of them.

Progress on my current manuscript has stalled hard. I'm about 2/3 through and have a good plan and still am enjoying the story, but for some reason it is just super hard to get anything done. Probably a mixture of stress and other life projects that have sapped some energy.

On the querying side, I am having middling success with my last manuscript. Better than I've had before, for sure, but still not exactly hitting it out of the park. I have 2 partials and 3 fulls out right now, so fingers crossed!

Short stories continue to be a struggle. Have one I like but have been procrastinating edits after a good critique round.

Ah, writing. I love thee but you do know how to keep one humble.

Currently got a few projects on the go.

I'm almost 3/4 through another edit of my novel Resurrection Men, after RPBL very awesomely read it and provided 17(!) pages of notes.  I submitted a sample to Gollancz during their open submission window earlier in the year, and still waiting to hear back.  Their August update advised they're currently sifting through the second look pile of approx 200 novels which could take a few months, and have been sending rejection letters as they go.  Fingers crossed they ask for the full thing.

I'm polishing off what was supposed to be a short story/novelette but is borderline a novella.  It's about 70 pages now, and is a sci-fi story.  I'm planning on submitting it to Amazon Kindle Singles.  It needs another polish and then should be good to go.  If they reject it for the Singles program, I may just publish it through Amazon's regular kindle self-pub route.

I had also started a fantasy novel set in a fictional world in a region inspired by North Africa.  It's on hold due to Tor's open submission window for novella's set in non-European inspired settings, as I'm about a quarter through the first draft of a novella set in the same world as the novel.  It's my priority at the moment.

On 26/10/2016 at 0:02 PM, C.T. Phipps said:

Yesterday, a friend of mine asked whether it would be worth it to pay $500 for a Kirkus review. My response was, "It's a sign of prestige if they like it but it won't increase sales all that much."

Which is how I feel about most paid reviews if not all of them.

I think paid reviews are a bad idea on principle. People will doubt the sincerity of the review (even if it is sincere), and an author submitting their work to that sort of reviewer will look desperate.

On 26/10/2016 at 5:11 AM, Starkess said:

Progress on my current manuscript has stalled hard. I'm about 2/3 through and have a good plan and still am enjoying the story, but for some reason it is just super hard to get anything done. Probably a mixture of stress and other life projects that have sapped some energy.

On the querying side, I am having middling success with my last manuscript. Better than I've had before, for sure, but still not exactly hitting it out of the park. I have 2 partials and 3 fulls out right now, so fingers crossed!

Having requests for fulls is always a good sign.  Even if those agents refuse the manuscript you then know it's got legs, or the full wouldn't have been requested.  I hope your energy comes back...

On 17/11/2016 at 8:51 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

I had also started a fantasy novel set in a fictional world in a region inspired by North Africa.  It's on hold due to Tor's open submission window for novella's set in non-European inspired settings, as I'm about a quarter through the first draft of a novella set in the same world as the novel.  It's my priority at the moment.

Ooh, good luck.

I finished my first draft of The Next Book yesterday.  Title for The Next Book is currently under discussion due to all the possibles being the same title as something else, so we're working on selecting the best option - its working title is The Wages of Sin.  I'm currently staring at chapter 2 and wondering how I can do better with some pacing/character introduction aspects.

I've just submitted my sci-fi novella 'Boldhammer' to Amazon Kindle :)

It should hopefully be approved soon, and if so I'll post in the other thread.  

The series title is Frontier's Edge.  My only concern is, after submitting it, I googled, and  it turns out Titanfall has a DLC with the same name.  Tha name doesnt appear to be copyrighted, and its a coincidence i chose it - just hope there's no issue with it.

Titles can't be copyrighted, FYI, so you're in the clear from a legal standpoint (trademarks can still apply but that's usually a more specific instance). Only a problem if you're worried about accessibility from search engines, etc. due to the similarity.

On 11/17/2016 at 8:07 PM, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I think paid reviews are a bad idea on principle. People will doubt the sincerity of the review (even if it is sincere), and an author submitting their work to that sort of reviewer will look desperate.

I think this is true for most paid reviews, but not for Kirkus. They're well known and you can find their reviews in the front matter of nearly every book on the shelves, even those by authors as big as Rushdie or Roth. I don't know what a good Kirkus review might do for sales, but I doubt any potential buyer would ever see it as a sign of desperation on the author's part.

Generally, Kirkus reviews give a lot of prestige but don't give a lot of sales. If you're going to show a book to magazines or publishers, it's worthwhile but not the average consumer.

Ok, here we go.

I've finally started to write something. I hesitate to call it a novel, short story or whatever cause I am not really sure where it is going to end up, I'm just going to see what happens. I started writing it using Microsoft Word as i have for any other writing assignment I have had to do for school over the years. Before I got too far in I wanted to ask if Word was the best program for writing long creative works on. Are there other applications ya'll would recommend that you have found helpful? Any other tips that you think would be helpful for a new writer would be greatly appreciated!

Word is fine.

With my current (sequel) project, I am writing the first draft out by pen in an exercise book. Hopefully that will minimise temptations to go back and edit.

The only advice I can give is the importance of actually sitting down and writing. Don't worry about a bad first draft (everyone has bad first drafts), just keep going and finish the thing.

15 hours ago, Ghjhero said:

Ok, here we go.

I've finally started to write something. I hesitate to call it a novel, short story or whatever cause I am not really sure where it is going to end up, I'm just going to see what happens. I started writing it using Microsoft Word as i have for any other writing assignment I have had to do for school over the years. Before I got too far in I wanted to ask if Word was the best program for writing long creative works on. Are there other applications ya'll would recommend that you have found helpful? Any other tips that you think would be helpful for a new writer would be greatly appreciated!

Really can't go wrong with Word. If you want to try something geared more specifically toward long form writing you can check out Scrivener. Pretty cool software, and it only costs $40. You can download a trial version for free and play around with it for I think 30 days before deciding whether or not to buy it.

13 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Word is fine.

With my current (sequel) project, I am writing the first draft out by pen in an exercise book. Hopefully that will minimise temptations to go back and edit.

The only advice I can give is the importance of actually sitting down and writing. Don't worry about a bad first draft (everyone has bad first drafts), just keep going and finish the thing.

Thanks guys! This absolutely my biggest challenge at the moment. Between classes, parties, papers etc... It is really hard to find a quiet moment to zone in and really get to work. Last night was only the second chance I had to write since I started it in October. I hope I get some more time over Christmas break, but we will see.

30 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Really can't go wrong with Word. If you want to try something geared more specifically toward long form writing you can check out Scrivener. Pretty cool software, and it only costs $40. You can download a trial version for free and play around with it for I think 30 days before deciding whether or not to buy it.

I think I'll stick to Word for now, if it aint broke don't fix it!

Congratulations to everyone who has been getting good news.

Anyone here ever try to get a poem (or collection of them) published? And do people generally use agents for those?

11 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Congratulations to everyone who has been getting good news.

Anyone here ever try to get a poem (or collection of them) published? And do people generally use agents for those?

I've had two poems published this year. And no, you don't use agents - agents won't consider it, for the reason that there is no market for poetry collections.

What you do instead is submit individual poems to a magazine of your appropriate genre. You obviously need to check if they accept poetry, but if they do, it's pretty much like submitting short stories*.

*In my experience, it's easier than short stories. I've had luck with the poems, but never with the stories.

Hey folks....

I've challenged myself to finish a novelette I'd been toying with for years before the end of this year. Between firing my agent and this election, I've been completely jammed up. I've started and stopped four separate projects since June. So I've dedicated myself to doing two things in the remaining 15 days of 2016:

1. Finish the PENSIONER'S BROOCH, the novelette I just mentioned, in 15 days. 
  2. Research and start planning a Roaring 20s wizard novel I'm describing as Harry Potter meets The Great Gatsby. 

Natch, I looked back at my BROOCH notes and rewrote the outline I had for it and now it's more of a novella and I'm giving myself until the end of 2016 to finish it. 

So, wish me luck!

On 16/12/2016 at 4:47 AM, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I've had two poems published this year. And no, you don't use agents - agents won't consider it, for the reason that there is no market for poetry collections.

What you do instead is submit individual poems to a magazine of your appropriate genre. You obviously need to check if they accept poetry, but if they do, it's pretty much like submitting short stories*.

*In my experience, it's easier than short stories. I've had luck with the poems, but never with the stories.

Thanks, and congratulations on your poems. Were they published online or was it print?