Let's Get Kraken

Boarders Writing a Novel Part 15

47 posts in this topic

On 4.3.2017 at 7:17 PM, The Grey Wolf said:

Not really a big deal compared to what some of you are doing but I thought I'd share that as of last night I have finally finished rewriting my sixth short story. No idea about the quality though because I am a terrible judge of my own writing so I'm going to see what a few trusted friends of mine have to say. Anyway, I wish all of you the best of luck with your own writing and hope that you are all getting by well too.

I wish I would get some short story plotbunnies. That way I could finish something in a reasonable amount of time. But all I get are epic monster bunnies who bring their family and multiply into series, so it will be years until I can put 'The End' under any of those huge projects.

The one thing I get better at is not allowing any new plotbunnies into my life. ;) 

2 hours ago, Gabriele said:

I wish I would get some short story plotbunnies. That way I could finish something in a reasonable amount of time. But all I get are epic monster bunnies who bring their family and multiply into series, so it will be years until I can put 'The End' under any of those huge projects.

The one thing I get better at is not allowing any new plotbunnies into my life. ;) 

Best of luck to you.

My current goal is to write a few more short stories that I've had in my head for a while in order to build up my craft and improve my writing habits but ultimately what I want to do in the future is write a few stand-alone novels I've already begun planning out and then put to paper the ridiculously-ambitious magnum opus of my dreams.

I've been working on and off on my magnum opus Kings and Rebels since 2004 or so. It was not intended as several-books-series back then and has morphed almost beyond recognition - it changed from historical fiction to Fantasy because the history kept getting in the way of the story I wanted to tell, and at some point I got the idea to write about the Lost Realms (Kêr Ys, Lyonesse, Vineta, Cantre'r Gwaelod and their ilk) which I then combined with the no-longer-historical fiction. But some of the characters and basic conflicts still exist, plus a few scenes, albeit heavily edited. Fortunately, I don't have fans breathing down my neck like Martin, because my writing speed isn't any better. :)

The other projects are historical fiction. The Sichelstein Saga - probably a trilogy - is set in the 10th century, the other ones in the Roman Empire. And damn Jovis if they don't remain standalones. :P

I'll use the April Nano Camp to get a prequel story to one of the Roman novels down, and I hope it will stick to the planned 10K. 

Despite making it to the third round, my novel Resurrection Men was rejected by Gollancz's open submission from last year.:(

They said petty much same thing Inspired Quill did; problem wasnt the writing, rather the genre (paranornal/historical fantasy) wasnt right for them.  So I've sent samples to a couple agents.

Meanwhile I've nearly finished the first draft of my supernatural police mystery, Play Dead.

I've cracked 4000 words on my Sword and Sorcery short story, which is nice. This is my real first foray into pulpy action, and it's great fun.