Let's Get Kraken

Boarders Writing a Novel Part 15

119 posts in this topic

Alright, I don't know if this is the right spot for this, but I've submitted my novel, WINTER'S DISCORD, to Swoon Reads. It's basically a try out for my book and I need people to read and review. I'm including the link in the hopes that some of you will head over, register (it literally takes five minutes) and give WINTER a gander. I think it's a damn fine book. It's YA but I think it's got cross over potential. Think WESTEROS 90210, GAME OF THRONES by way of Degrassi, The Gilmore Girls In Krynn. If I get good reviews, there is a chance I could get a contract, so your help in this would be greatly appreciated. 

https://www.swoonreads.com/m/winters-discord/

(I'm posting this in the promo topic as well, mods, if I've committed a faux pas, please delete which one is the most inappropriate. Thanks!)

Goddamn drafting is hard sometimes. Whenever I fall out of the habit of writing for a while it's such a push for me to get through that initial phase of knowing that I'm producing shit writing. And of course shit writing doesn't turn into good writing unless you keep forcing the shit out (that sentence may have gotten away from me a little bit).

It's just so frustrating when you're stuck on the internal loop of:

Writes a sentence.

This sentence is shit.

This story is shit.

My writing is shit.

I am shit.

Writes another sentence.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

21 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Goddamn drafting is hard sometimes. Whenever I fall out of the habit of writing for a while it's such a push for me to get through that initial phase of knowing that I'm producing shit writing. And of course shit writing doesn't turn into good writing unless you keep forcing the shit out (that sentence may have gotten away from me a little bit).

Writes a sentence.

This sentence is shit.

This story is shit.

My writing is shit.

I am shit.

Writes another sentence.

I can so identify with that. Then you go back and tinker with the stuff you have already written, because it's less shit, while the stuff that actually needs the work sits there.

In a good bit of news, my "Green" Antarctica story, Après moi, le déluge, has finally found a home. It will feature in the next quarterly issue of Into the Ruins, a post-industrial science-fiction magazine.

21 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Writes a sentence.

This sentence is shit.

This story is shit.

My writing is shit.

I am shit.

Writes another sentence.

Shit, not to derail too much, but thats why I tend to get mad when people say Why Hasn't author X written the book yet, omg. I can barely write a fucking 3 page essay for class in like a month.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Shit, not to derail too much, but thats why I tend to get mad when people say Why Hasn't author X written the book yet, omg. I can barely write a fucking 3 page essay for class in like a month.

Oh I completely agree. It really bugs me in particular with Martin and Rothfuss, just because there's so much good fantasy out there being written and published right now. It's not like there's only a handful of authors propping up the genre...

It doesn't even matter who, its just the idea you can just write a book like you make a cake, drives me nuts.

I have two pieces of advice regarding this:

1. It's best to just write and not sweat the details until you're done.

2. Despite A, I've thrown out like six or seven half-completed manuscripts. My latest Supervillainy Book was almost done.

The best thing for me when the "you suck" dude sits on my shoulder and whispers, is to just keep writing. Stuff I think sucks the moment I spew it out, or even a day later, often makes me smile months later when I go back to edit.

Time gives perspective beyond the moment with your muse. Don't let it bog you down.

The 200th anniversary of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is next year.  There's an anthology being put together with an open call for submissions, pays 3 cents / word for fiction, from 2000 to 7500 words.  Also a kickstarter to raise the payment rates and produce additional formats (audiobook, hardcover, etc)

Just finished the sequel to my Lucifer's Star novel. Lucifer's Nebula is a work which I think is probably my best yet.

On 9/26/2017 at 1:42 PM, Let's Get Kraken said:

Writes a sentence.

This sentence is shit.

This story is shit.

My writing is shit.

I am shit.

Writes another sentence.

I think I moved past 'good' writing, whatever that is subjectively, onto just writing that amuses me. Not that that comes out somehow like sausages out of a sausage machine, but you tend to think about what amuses you and then think again and then after awhile you've built up something and you're starting to forget it and so you have to write it down just to avoid forgetting it. Forget good and find a vein of things that appeal to you. The idea of good writing is itself garbage. Audiences just clasp onto things and then in retrospect they call it good - it's just a crap shoot, don't make it an unfun crap shoot.

Guys! I finished my first draft! It took SIX YEARS. 2141 days (+ unknown number of days from before my hard drive died and I had to start over).

I attribute the insane curve in my productiveness (if I could make a fancy chart I would) to the fact I kept track of how much I wrote in a day. Well, first I started with "in a week", but then when that didn't work so I decided to keep track in an excel file, and simultaneously keep track of how much was left and what I averaged - making my average my daily goal instead of having a static number.

I did the math when I finished, and during these three different approaches to writing this is how it ended up:

• Period one = 74.78% of those 2141 days. I wrote 35.66% of the draft.
  • Period two = 17.75% of those 2141 days. I wrote 23.71% of the draft.
  • Period three = 7.61% of those 2141 days. I wrote 40.49% of the draft.

HOWEVER! 7.6% of 2141 is 163 days. I did not write for 163 days straight. I only wrote 58 of those days. That means I actually wrote 40.49% of the book in 2.71% of the total time I've been working on it. I have no idea how many days I actually worked on the WIP during the other periods, since I wasn't keeping track then, so I can't really say how much time I spent not writing. I know that I did not touch the manuscript for 6 months at one point though. 

Anyway, I'm definitely going to keep track of my progress on any future novel-sized projects I take on, at least once I know what I want to accomplish in them. Right now I'm taking a step back as I've seen so many other writers recommend that before editing. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me still, but this is the first first draft I've ever completed, so yay! I the meantime I'm going to try to work on other, much smaller, projects that have popped up during the creation of this one, as well as try to make myself more uh... visible? online as a writer.

Congrats!! Finishing a first draft is a great accomplishment. :cheers:

On 02/12/2017 at 9:15 AM, Aniel said:

Anyway, I'm definitely going to keep track of my progress on any future novel-sized projects I take on, at least once I know what I want to accomplish in them. Right now I'm taking a step back as I've seen so many other writers recommend that before editing. I know I have a lot of work ahead of me still, but this is the first first draft I've ever completed, so yay! I the meantime I'm going to try to work on other, much smaller, projects that have popped up during the creation of this one, as well as try to make myself more uh... visible? online as a writer.

Congrats! Most people don't actually finish their first draft, so you've beaten the biggest of the hurdles.

I agree with the advice to let it sit there for a while. It allows you to approach the thing with fresh eyes.

I'm still trying to find an agent to represent my novel Resurrection Men.  But I've just updated and improved my query letter and submitted it to another agent.  So fingers crossed. 

Inspired Quill didn't have space on their lists for my fantasy novel Thorns of a Black Rose, unfortunately, though they did say good things about it.  I'm extending it from 59k words to approx 75k words, and then I'll start trying to find an agent for it.

Once Thorns is finished I'll return to the 2nd draft of Play Dead, my contemporary supernatural police mystery novel set in the same universe as Resurrection Men.  Having some doubts about the ending.  I'm also about a third through the fantasy novel 'sequel' to Thorns, called The Blood Hour.

I want to release a series of short stories on Amazon set in the future of the same universe as Thorns and Blood Hour.  I'm about half through the intro story which I plan to release for free as a 'hook' and then release the follow up stories.  They're set in an underworld tavern in the equivalent of revolutionary Paris.

I'm also about 8 pages through the follow-up to Boldhammer, my sci-fi novelette/novella currently on Amazon.

So busy times!

6 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Inspired Quill didn't have space on their lists for my fantasy novel Thorns of a Black Rose, unfortunately, though they did say good things about it. 

You seem to have the worst luck with IQ. Isn't that the third consecutive year?

9 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I'm still trying to find an agent to represent my novel Resurrection Men.  But I've just updated and improved my query letter and submitted it to another agent.  So fingers crossed. 

Inspired Quill didn't have space on their lists for my fantasy novel Thorns of a Black Rose, unfortunately, though they did say good things about it.  I'm extending it from 59k words to approx 75k words, and then I'll start trying to find an agent for it.

Once Thorns is finished I'll return to the 2nd draft of Play Dead, my contemporary supernatural police mystery novel set in the same universe as Resurrection Men.  Having some doubts about the ending.  I'm also about a third through the fantasy novel 'sequel' to Thorns, called The Blood Hour.

I want to release a series of short stories on Amazon set in the future of the same universe as Thorns and Blood Hour.  I'm about half through the intro story which I plan to release for free as a 'hook' and then release the follow up stories.  They're set in an underworld tavern in the equivalent of revolutionary Paris.

I'm also about 8 pages through the follow-up to Boldhammer, my sci-fi novelette/novella currently on Amazon.

So busy times!

If you get an agent or whatever for Thorns, what implications (if any) would this have On shorts you release on Amazon, since they share a universe? Just curious

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:03 PM, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

You seem to have the worst luck with IQ. Isn't that the third consecutive year?

Yeah, tell me about it! 

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:17 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

If you get an agent or whatever for Thorns, what implications (if any) would this have On shorts you release on Amazon, since they share a universe? Just curious

Good question.  I assume there shouldn't be any issue.  Can anyone offer any advice on this?