Let's Get Kraken

Boarders Writing a Novel Part 15

109 posts in this topic

Alright, I don't know if this is the right spot for this, but I've submitted my novel, WINTER'S DISCORD, to Swoon Reads. It's basically a try out for my book and I need people to read and review. I'm including the link in the hopes that some of you will head over, register (it literally takes five minutes) and give WINTER a gander. I think it's a damn fine book. It's YA but I think it's got cross over potential. Think WESTEROS 90210, GAME OF THRONES by way of Degrassi, The Gilmore Girls In Krynn. If I get good reviews, there is a chance I could get a contract, so your help in this would be greatly appreciated. 

https://www.swoonreads.com/m/winters-discord/

(I'm posting this in the promo topic as well, mods, if I've committed a faux pas, please delete which one is the most inappropriate. Thanks!)

Goddamn drafting is hard sometimes. Whenever I fall out of the habit of writing for a while it's such a push for me to get through that initial phase of knowing that I'm producing shit writing. And of course shit writing doesn't turn into good writing unless you keep forcing the shit out (that sentence may have gotten away from me a little bit).

It's just so frustrating when you're stuck on the internal loop of:

Writes a sentence.

This sentence is shit.

This story is shit.

My writing is shit.

I am shit.

Writes another sentence.

Edited by Let's Get Kraken

21 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Goddamn drafting is hard sometimes. Whenever I fall out of the habit of writing for a while it's such a push for me to get through that initial phase of knowing that I'm producing shit writing. And of course shit writing doesn't turn into good writing unless you keep forcing the shit out (that sentence may have gotten away from me a little bit).

Writes a sentence.

This sentence is shit.

This story is shit.

My writing is shit.

I am shit.

Writes another sentence.

I can so identify with that. Then you go back and tinker with the stuff you have already written, because it's less shit, while the stuff that actually needs the work sits there.

In a good bit of news, my "Green" Antarctica story, Après moi, le déluge, has finally found a home. It will feature in the next quarterly issue of Into the Ruins, a post-industrial science-fiction magazine.

21 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Writes a sentence.

This sentence is shit.

This story is shit.

My writing is shit.

I am shit.

Writes another sentence.

Shit, not to derail too much, but thats why I tend to get mad when people say Why Hasn't author X written the book yet, omg. I can barely write a fucking 3 page essay for class in like a month.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Shit, not to derail too much, but thats why I tend to get mad when people say Why Hasn't author X written the book yet, omg. I can barely write a fucking 3 page essay for class in like a month.

Oh I completely agree. It really bugs me in particular with Martin and Rothfuss, just because there's so much good fantasy out there being written and published right now. It's not like there's only a handful of authors propping up the genre...

It doesn't even matter who, its just the idea you can just write a book like you make a cake, drives me nuts.

I have two pieces of advice regarding this:

1. It's best to just write and not sweat the details until you're done.

2. Despite A, I've thrown out like six or seven half-completed manuscripts. My latest Supervillainy Book was almost done.

The best thing for me when the "you suck" dude sits on my shoulder and whispers, is to just keep writing. Stuff I think sucks the moment I spew it out, or even a day later, often makes me smile months later when I go back to edit.

Time gives perspective beyond the moment with your muse. Don't let it bog you down.