[Book Spoilers, Season 7 Rumours] - Lightbringer v2?

Emtreid

Ok, so it's long been known that the forging of valyrian steel requires magic, as confirmed by GRRM: "

"Valyrian steel is a fantasy metal. Which means it has magical characteristics, and magic plays a role in its forging"

A common theory states that, like most Valyrian spells, this involved blood magic, more specifically human sacrifice. This would explain why valyrian steel was so valuable even when it was in production, with only a few such weapons reaching Westeros before the Doom. If this is true it seems highly likely that the legend of Azor Ahai and the forging of Lightbringer (tempered by plunging it through the heart of his queen, Nissa Nissa) refers to the creation of VS, possibly the first instance in history. We have seen in the show that VS kills white walkers, a property that nicely fits the legend as Azor Ahai used Lightbringer (or more likely a whole arsenal of VS weapons) to defeat the Others and save mankind. However, Lightbringer wasn't just any VS sword: it was a burning sword of living fire! This has led some to suggest that while "normal" VS swords were forged in the blood of slaves, Lightbringer was special because it was a Queen's blood that made it. We know that royal blood is very powerful: could sacrificing a queen have created a sword powerful enough to defeat the Others?

All this has been discussed before, but here is where Gendry comes in, who, according to recent rumours, will be returning in Season 7. When Gendry was a blacksmith's apprentice he worked under Tobho Mott: one of the few people in the world (possibly the only one in Westeros) who can reforge Valyrian steel. To do this he must understand the need for a blood sacrifice: relatively easy to achieve in King's Landing, where half the soup kitchens are disposing of bodies in their cauldrons. So, Gendry gets back to KL, but Cersei is now Queen, and he's understandably concerned for his safety. So, he goes to one of the few people he knows in the city - his former master - and explains his situation. Mott realises that he's sitting on a gold mine of magical power, and murders Gendry, using the power of his King's blood to forge the greatest sword in existence: Lightbringer v2! (Personally I think this could make a great prologue to the season, though they've already done on on reforging VS so I don't know whether they'd do another)

Then Dany arrives, takes the city, finds the sword and either wields it herself or eventually gives it to Jon towards the end of the season, depending on who you think is AAR.

That's my theory, what do you think?

It's actually a fun theory, but there are pictures of Gendry whipping Gold Cloak butt with a big war hammer.  I'm not sure GOT is going to stick with ASOIAF story lines now.   Of course, without TWOW who knows what's canon and what's not.   The trend in S6 was to offer up as much fan service as possible and it's smart in the all ingratiating world of television.  There have been times I've thought the Valyrian Steel swords would actually become important in the show, but it appears that Oathkeeper, Widow's Wail, Heartsbane and Longclaw are the only VS we're going to get.   That's a pity because the whole magic sword theme is a lot of fun.   

Dany coming to Westeros may make those magic swords less important in the awesome destructive power of the dragons.   It wouldn't be difficult to blur the lines and make magic creatures capable of killing magic creatures.   Still I do hold out a bit of hope because they did make a fairly big deal out of Sam taking his family ancestral sword in S6.  If we only get 4 heroes for 4 swords that would make a great story line in S7 or S8 even.   Hey, it's the show and we could even have some fun with which woman would be a worthy sacrifice to make a new Lightbringer.  I nominate Melisandre.  

Archived