Who is your favorite villain and why?

moonlightof1982

Tywin Lannister. He's got a Machiavellian charm to him, despite being one of the most arrogant shitlords of the whole story. He commits horrific deeds  and feels utterly justified. And I'd want such a man to face a truly thorough comeuppance and he totally does. He gets defeated by the son whom he most despised and tried to have killed, and yet who is the only one of his children to actually inherit his traits. And then his funeral turns into an embarrassing laughingstock.

I don't know if villain, but as antagonist of the main story I like Daemon Blackfyre (big surprise, huh?:P). Many people saw him as a worthy alternative for a liege, galvanizing the resentment toward the current king into the most dangerous threat to the Targaryens until Robert.

In that line of thinking, then my favorite villain would be Bloodraven. He's the reason the Blackfyre Rebellions weren't successful and he's been pulling strings of the people in Westeros for the last 100+ years, making him IMHO the central character of ASoIaF.

Shakaz mo Kandaq. Now, right now he is not a villain, but I think he might be in the next book. If he does what I think he will do, it will complicate things in Meereen. And even though Shakaz might be ruthless, I sometimes find myself slightly understanding his reasons.

There are many great villains , not sure if i can pick one.

Roose Bolton - Cold and scary

Euron - Crazy evil dude with magic 

Tywin Lannister - Political mastermind 

Littlefinger -  Master manipulator 

Cersei Lannister - Evil Queen 

But Tywin is really great , i think i choose him as my fav.

The Others. They aren't human, very mysterious and they haven't bored or annoyed me like all the villains so far. 

I find the human villains like Tywin, Roose, Cersei, Littlefinger, Jaime,etc... so irritating. They whine about past imagined grievances like a bunch of bitches, their techniques are to underhanded to be considered badass. They are very boring and get tiresome very early in the story. They just suck. 

12 hours ago, shameeka said:

Littlefinger. I like how he manipulates people with lies and arbor gold. And I find his infatuation with Cat/Sansa intriguing

Hello Shameeka! I agree with you. Littlefinger is my favorite villain, I like him so much that I don't see him as a villain. I would love a POV chapter for him in the books...just to finally get a glimpse into his thoughts and emotions, and to see into the heart of his character.   

2 hours ago, The Wolves said:

The Others. They aren't human, very mysterious and they haven't bored or annoyed me like all the villains so far. 

I find the human villains like Tywin, Roose, Cersei, Littlefinger, Jaime,etc... so irritating. They whine about past imagined grievances like a bunch of bitches, their techniques are to underhanded to be considered badass. They are very boring and get tiresome very early in the story. They just suck. 

"whine about past grievances like a bunch of bitches"

:laugh: LOL! HA!HA!HA!

14 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Tywin Lannister. He's got a Machiavellian charm to him, despite being one of the most arrogant shitlords of the whole story. He commits horrific deeds  and feels utterly justified. And I'd want such a man to face a truly thorough comeuppance and he totally does. He gets defeated by the son whom he most despised and tried to have killed, and yet who is the only one of his children to actually inherit his traits. And then his funeral turns into an embarrassing laughingstock.

Another one for Tywin here. Even though I read the books before the show, I didn't get involved with fandom until around s3, so I found his motivations easier to grasp without in depth character analysis. His arc is still my favorite of the antagonists  in the story for the same reasons you stated. The impact he had on his now adult children is just as substantial as Ned's on the Starklings, even this late in the series.

Lord Bolton. He kinda gives a Darth Vader-like vibe, and Vader is a gold standard of pop culture villains. Littlefinger is too narcissistic, with his moments alone with Sansa inevitably ending with "And now let your Uncle Littlefinger tell you, how super smart your Uncle Littlefinger is". Ramsay is yucky. Cersei's dumb. Crow's Eye, too small a part. Tywin, too dead. Essos as a whole too unimportant and annoying.

Maybe not necessarily a villain but at least an anti-hero: Lady Stoneheart

I am just the most curious going forward as to what she will do and who she will interact with.  Along with Euron, the two non-protagonists I'm most interested in their story in TWOW.  

I like how Euron is unique. There's nobody like him and although he is inherently evil, he's charming, ruthless and extremely capable.

Bloodraven for the same reasons (if you count him as a villain).

Daemon Targaryen purely because he is probably the biggest badass in the series and everyone either hates him or loves him.

5 hours ago, The Wolves said:

Man, it's gonna be tough when we meet the Others and they start whining about grievances 8000 years past...

There are so many:

Tywin - I think what really makes him a great villain is that he orders terrible things to be done but still sees himself always in the right. Also I'm a huge fan of Tyrion and Tywin is probably the biggest influence on his whole arc.

Littlefinger - I love how he stands over almost all characters in things of intellect but still has this one little flaw in his obsession with Sansa / Catlelyn.

Euron - Basically seems to be the pure evil and is very cruel which makes him similar to Ramsay or Joffrey. However, what makes him really interesting to me is that he's still kind of a myterious character with his use of magic, his uncertain back storyand so on. He also seems to be way more heavily involved in the bigger game than we thought when we first met him.

Those are just my top three. Joffrey, Roose and Cersei follow close after.

The best villain in my eyes is Bowen Marsh. The best villains in my eyes think they are heroes. Littlefinger and Varys are scheming, menacing. Tywin is human evil in it's purest form. But they all rationalize their actions and decisions. They do what is 'better'. Marsh thinks what he does is 'right'. 

Marsh is a valued Brother, who killed the Weeper and served as Lord Commander. He hates the Wildlings with a passion. His decisions aren't evil, they're wrong. 

He supports Slynt, clearly a man not fit to lead the Night's Watch. He is also very vocal about closing the gate in the Wall. Not only would this add thousands of Wildlings to the army of the dead, it would also require the Others to use the Horn of Joramund, meaning the destruction of the Wall and the end of the Night's Watch. 

After this he obviously kills Jon Snow, a mistake again. But we understand why he does it. He fears the Watch is getting weaker, he fears and hates the Wildlings. He disagrees with Satin's position. All the decisions Jon makes are wrong in his eyes. And a 'hero' acts when these wrongs occur. But again we know/suspect this is an horrible mistake. If Jon really was making mistakes, Marsh' actions were honourable, courages and for the greater good. I love that. 

'For the Watch'- it shows his motivation perfectly

I think one of the best scenes of the show sums it up well. (Allister Thorne obviously being 'show-Bowen'

'I fought, I lost. Now I rest'

I'm sure mine is pretty obvious lol

On my first read she was my favourite because because hers and Jaime's chapters are the only ones who entertained me reading AFFC, and Dorne as well, but there were too few dornish chapters. I only started to enjoy the book in later reads.

I love the Lannister sarcasm and I also love Cersei's strength, even if she is incompetent and paranoid. She also has a certain amount of cunning, despite being short sighted. I have always loved femme fatales, and even if the evil queen is a lot dumber and illusional than she realizes, she is still a femme fatale.

Tywin also gets an honourable mention. He has a very powerful presence so to speak, and he's very clever despite being cruel. One of my favourite quotes about him is Jaime's: 'even from the grave, Lord Tywin's hand moves us all'. Really shows how much of a bad ass the guy is.

Roose is creepy, spooky creepy.   I have imagined everything people dream up about him could be true from Other to vampire to undead---oh man just all of it.    Tywin is a BAMF in the worst sense, hard, brutal, decisive--what is there not to love there?   I enjoy my complete distaste for Joffrey and Ramsay because they need others to help them carry out their evil, but Roose and Tywin are bosses in the bad department in my book.  I'm actually uncomfortable with Euron and that's a wicked cool thing to feel from a single chapter that I can't wait to read and analyze and become even more uncomfortable with.   Euron is so bad and so random I imagine he will be a lot of people's favorite after we get a real good look at him.   

Archived