Is Sunday the first or last day of the week?

Ordos

11 hours ago, Whitestripe said:

Nah, Sunday is the first say of the week. However, since I run a performing arts center, weekends are pretty much non-existent in my world. 

I'm in Catering, not the performing arts as you, but the similar situation exists. What's a weekend?

Personally I think Sunday is the first day of the week, as that's what the calendars say.

However, my company uses a week of Friday to Thursday. For no good damn reason I can figure. 

12 hours ago, Ormond said:

I prefer Sunday as the first day of the week. That's the traditional way it's been and the way every calendar I see in the USA is printed. And it seems to be giving in to modern capitalism way too much to think that the first working day of the week should automatically be the first day of the week itself. Why should we privilege money making in that way?

It's not about worship of money to me. As I said earlier, it's about adding up time of work and time off instead of dividing time off. I like to say come Saturday, I have two days off work. It's NOT come Monday, I'll be earning money.

32 minutes ago, Ordos said:

It's not about worship of money to me. As I said earlier, it's about adding up time of work and time off instead of dividing time off. I like to say come Saturday, I have two days off work. It's NOT come Monday, I'll be earning money.

Ummm... you do realize that, either way, you still get the two days off in a row, don't you?

5 minutes ago, R'hllor's nasty lobster said:

Ummm... you do realize that, either way, you still get the two days off in a row, don't you?

Yes. What I'm talking about is just looking at the calendar. I smile when I see that nice long 48 hour break instead of having to redirect my eyes to the left of the calendar.

5 minutes ago, R'hllor's nasty lobster said:

or are you just asking where you can buy a calendar/planner that starts on monday? 

That. I have one on my computer, and my uncle who frequently drops by my Dad's place has one with pictures of his granddaughters. Others, like the one by my bedside and at my work desk start with Sunday. 

I tend to think of sunday as the last day of the week, mainly because of "weekend" and the way the workweek is structured but in the Western (or any (post)christian) culture there is no doubt that it has been the first day for almost two millenia. E.g. in modern Greek the days from Monday to Thursday are simply called "the second", "the third"... then Friday is the day of preparation, Saturday is Sabbath and Sunday the Lord's day.

This shows that it is a misunderstanding that the christian Sunday is the Jewish Sabbath. Sabbath is Saturday and the 7th day. Sunday is the day of the resurrection (the name for sunday in Russian is "resurrection" ).

syncretist Western Europe often took the weekdays' names (or most of them) from the pagan gods but even there it shows e.g. in Spanish sabado and domingo that the Christian sunday is not the Jewish Sabbath.

19 hours ago, Ormond said:

I prefer Sunday as the first day of the week. That's the traditional way it's been and the way every calendar I see in the USA is printed. And it seems to be giving in to modern capitalism way too much to think that the first working day of the week should automatically be the first day of the week itself. Why should we privilege money making in that way?

As a Eurocommie - Sunday is the last day of the week, because that's just how it's mostly been in Europe.

Interesting theory that Eurocommies are more capitalist than the capital of capitalism.

9 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

As a Eurocommie - Sunday is the last day of the week, because that's just how it's mostly been in Europe.

Interesting theory that Eurocommies are more capitalist than the capital of capitalism.

How fascinating to learn that calendars in Europe (including the UK) are normally printed with Sunday as the last day of the week. I had no idea that was one of the differences between the UK and the USA.

Checking a few calendars through www.timeanddate.com I see the Mexico in addition to the European countries I've checked so far has Sunday as the last day of the week. However, Canada, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa, Nigeria, Jamaica and India seem to go with Sunday as the first day of the week on printed calendars, as does the USA.

P.S. Australia and New Zealand have Sunday as the first day, as do Indonesia, Mozambique, Ghana and Tanzania -- though Senegal, Kenya, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Togo, and Zambia have Sunday as the last day. All the Spanish speaking countries in South America have Sunday as the first day EXCEPT Chile, which has Sunday as the last day.

Archived