Is Sunday the first or last day of the week?

Ordos

If anyone here still uses a non-digital calendar, do you like your Sundays on your left or right of the week? I actually prefer my Sundays on the right because I like to total up how much time off work I have. The problem is most calendars where I live have Sundays on the left, so when I see a calendar with Sundays on the right, it takes a moment of mental adjustment even though I'd prefer it to be there.

Anyway, among the religious folk it's a hotly debated issue. Most Christians don't work and go to Church on Sunday and some work on Saturdays. But there are those who believe Saturday is the seventh day that is the Seventh Day Adventists. I have no idea where the disagreement comes from. Most people I talk to say the seventh day is Saturday. So do Christians want to worship on the day God began his work or took time off?

But if you do like your weeks to start with Sunday, why is that? You want to start your week with taking time off? Or is it just about displaying the work days neatly in the middle of red columns? 

I depends on what country you live in. In Europe, Monday is officially the first day of the week but Christian tradition has Sunday as the first day. Not sure about the reason but could be inherited from Judaism. Makes Saturday (Sabbath) the seventh day.

19 minutes ago, Future Null Infinity said:

I'm not a Christian to tell but I like my weeks to start with Tuesday because I hate Monday

Why end the week on a low note? Better begin on a low point and strive to make it better.

Now I remember. Christians and Jews take time off on the seventh day which is the Sabbath. It's more about not working and less about worship even though they worship on the Sabbath also. It's the day God took time off. But it still raises the question of why Sunday if most agree it is supposed to be Saturday.

Last. I remember in pre-school they tried to teach us the days of the week through a song which put Sunday first, and my four year old self (who already knew the days of the week and was, thus, an expert on such matters) felt strongly that this was A Mistake.

The consensus so far is that Monday is the first day of the week because it is the first work day but Christian tradition has it at Sunday but ironically they take the day off and go to Church on Sunday when they should have it on Saturday.

Most calendars I get have Sunday as the first day. Again, can anyone tell me their calendar preference weather they want Sunday on the left or right of the work week?

I prefer Sunday as the first day of the week. That's the traditional way it's been and the way every calendar I see in the USA is printed. And it seems to be giving in to modern capitalism way too much to think that the first working day of the week should automatically be the first day of the week itself. Why should we privilege money making in that way?

The last day, of course. Today is Thursday so if someone were to say to me that they would do something next week, they would clearly mean Monday at the earliest.

I've not met a single person who considers Sunday to be the first day of the week, at least not publicly. Maybe some of my friends keep this opinion a secret lest they be (deservedly) ridiculed.

It is called weekend for a reason. Sunday is the last day. Almost all the calendars I have seen are printed with Sunday last; once I saw one with Sundays first and it counfused me and seemed wrong to me.

I never knew that Christian traditian said Sunday was the first day either? I think I was told/assumed that it is the last day because that is the day God took a rest, so Christians follow his example by not woring on the seventh day, not the first one.

I like to keep a proper paper notebook with a calendar, incidentally.

Archived