Do you think Daenerys and Jon Snow

Feologild

1 hour ago, Le Cygne said:

Aunt/nephew and uncle/niece incest is a parent's sibling having sex with his child. Lots of bad things in Westeros are not against the law. If aunt and nephew have sex, they will have them do it then find out they are related. That's how stories go. And stories like this don't end well.

See: Oedipus. However, the baby was found by shepherds and raised by King Polybus and Queen Merope as their own. Oedipus learned from the oracle at Delphi of the prophecy that he would end up killing his father and marrying his mother but, unaware of his true parentage...

The story didn't end well.

Yes, it's like uncle Scrooge wanted to marry Donald. 

1 hour ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

Huge difference between firs cousins and siblings, aunt/ uncle and especially generation after generation.

It would be worse if Rhaegar had Jon with another Targ female. This way it's relatively fine.

Even uncle/niece marriage is in Stark tree, isn't it? Cousin/cousin or aunt/nephew is far more acceptable and not an incest according to laws.

Even the Wildlings say marry outside the family group:

“He’s of my village. You know nothing, Jon Snow. A true man steals a woman from afar, t’ strengthen the clan. Women who bed brothers or fathers or clan kin offend the gods, and are cursed with weak and sickly children. Even monsters.”

3 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Going by the books, I'd be inclined to say he lives and rules.

Brother/sister and parent/child is considering incest, rest not. Because look Ned's parents were cousins and how their kids turned out. Not exactly mad. Making stupid decisions Lyanna, Brandon? Yes, but that is not exactly being mad, insane or unhealthy. Plenty of people within the story made those.

It seems a lot of people including Northerners started to slowly overlook Night's Watch and White Walkers threat as the years went by. i'd say  all the powerful families and house contributed to current situation. Targs on the top are seen as the main one. If Iam not mistaken, George's favourite House is Targaryen and he wrote quite a lot stuff on them.

Actually, George does define in the books that incest includes more than just brother and sister. Aside from every religion being against it, (George says the Targs think of themselves as above all gods), it is actually defined in both the main books and the World book to include things like aunts and more  and general "clan kin". George is using the idea of incest as a downfall of a dynasty, Lannisters included, and this has been shown throughout real history. 

I'm on my phone or I'd share the quotes. 

The show does incest for shock and ratings... just like the never ending twincest <_<

26 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Some half-brother thing. In a prehistory book.

Yes, and in the past.  This one is the family tree 

they are a minority, and I suppose there is a reason behind that. It's not normal, not something they like, 'cause they know it's not right.

Even Lyarra and Rickard were first cousins once removed, not first cousins or direct aunt-nephew.

But anyway, one can count how many of the total of marriages are related in some way or another and they are a clear minority.

3 minutes ago, Evarei said:

Jonnel Stark and Sansa Stark, uncle and niece

Edric Stark and Serena Stark, half-uncle and niece

Lyarra Stark and Rickard Stark, cousin and cousin

The first two were for treacherous reasons like usurping the female inheritance. 

Lyarra and Richard were closer related but they were cou sons once removed, as in another third bloodline was added. 

On my phone still or is give you the quotes, but it's all in the books ;)

4 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

First two were half uncles. Again, not for a good reason.

Third was cousin once removed.

Beat me to it! :lol:

Also, with the first two, this did not ever happen in northern Stark history until Not so Good Queen Alysanne flew with Jaehaerys to intimidate and steal from the north and then Alysanne went further north and cut off all northern ties to their native culture, including magic, direwolves, the final CotF in the area and whatever else so that she could appease the sorhern maesters. 

14 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

That could explain why they exist and why they are only a minority

Yes, very much so. In the books it happens for TERRIBLE reasons anywhere it happens. The Targs have been doing it for "blood purity" which George thinks is an insulting joke in real life. He is making an example out of them by giving them a long, slow burn. 

Incest in the books is a lesson in darkness. Incest on the show is a lesson in ratings because there is no rhyme or reason to it. 

By the way, love the avatar:wub: 

5 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Yes, very much so. In the books it happens for TERRIBLE reasons anywhere it happens. The Targs have been doing it for "blood purity" which George thinks is an insulting joke in real life. He is making an example out of them by giving them a long, slow burn. 

Incest in the books is a lesson in darkness. Incest on the show is a lesson in ratings because there is no rhyme or reason to it.

Yes, all of this. It's done for terrible reasons. He's not adding these treacherous examples where women are pawns in a dynastic game of usurping lines for hoots and giggles. All sorts of hell happens in the books, but that doesn't make it a good thing.

1 minute ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Also, George gave us the history of Stark incest to usurp the female inheritance to show what is currently happening to Alys Karstark. 

It was not for love but for money. 

Yeah, same thing is happening to her. This is not a good thing for the women at all.

Archived