Do you think Daenerys and Jon Snow

Feologild

Am I the only one not bothered at all about the incest angle? I just find it hard to take this issue seriously given that Martin has not had the slightest inclination to portray the physical effects of incest the least bit realistically.  By all rights, both Daenerys and Jon should be growing third chins out of their foreheads on account of their family trees but that cannot be farther from the case. Apparently one is the most beautiful woman in the world in the world while the other looks like a prototypical Stark when genetically he is far more Targaryen than anything else. None of it even makes any sense. 

I'm not talking about any kind of curse, I mean the sheer physical manifestations of so much incest, which exist in real life but are wholly absent from the story. 

To use a famous example, I am pretty certain that both Daeneyrs and Jon are more inbred than Charles II of Spain: see here. Yet, neither of the two has any physical deformities. 

This is why I am puzzled about the gripe about their sexual relationship being incestuous.

If there are no physical consequences to incest in Martin's story, then the only remaining reason to be squeamish about incest -- as it exists in Martin's books -- is the social taboo of mating with a close family member with who you have a previous familial relationship. However, as it applies to Daenerys and Jon, this is not even an issue since they have no previous relationship, they have never met and they certainly have never developed a relationship as an aunt and nephew. This would be completely different if it was Jon and Arya or Sana, or Daenerys and Viserys. 

So out of all the concerns to have about the relationship between the two, why care about something that as presented in the story is absolutely meaningless? 

2 minutes ago, Faint said:

I'm not talking about any kind of curse, I mean the sheer physical manifestations of so much incest, which exist in real life but are wholly absent from the story. 

To use a famous example, I am pretty certain that both Daeneyrs and Jon are more inbred than Charles II of Spain: see here. Yet, neither of the two has any physical deformities. 

This is why I am puzzled about the gripe about their sexual relationship being incestuous.

If there are no physical consequences to incest in Martin's story, then the only remaining reason to be squeamish about incest -- as it exists in Martin's books -- is the social taboo of mating with a close family member with who you have a previous familial relationship. However, as it applies to Daenerys and Jon, this is not even an issue since they have no previous relationship, they have never met and they certainly have never developed a relationship as an aunt and nephew. This would be completely different if it was Jon and Arya or Sana, or Daenerys and Viserys. 

So out of all the concerns to have about the relationship between the two, why care about something that as presented in the story is absolutely meaningless? 

Jon is bound to have issues with it, whether they were or not in previous familial relationship. It would be weird for him to say at least and who knows where it leads. You need one night to make a childen, which is widely accepted that will happen. He will freak out about it, just like with Ned not being his father, Jon not being his original birthname. I wouldn't downplay effect on him as a character, Dany might be cool about it.

7 hours ago, Faint said:

If there are no physical consequences to incest in Martin's story, then the only remaining reason to be squeamish about incest -- as it exists in Martin's books -- is the social taboo of mating with a close family member with who you have a previous familial relationship.

[snip]

George does include physical deformities. He includes and mentions several deformed stillborn babies and miscarriages with the Targs, especially those that have been severely inbred. There definitely are physical consequences in the books. They are so deformed they never een have a chance at life at all, or not for long, and certainly not in a world that has no access to modern medicine. Just because those physically deformed don't get live beyond at most a week in the books relating Targ history means you can now suddenly claim there are no physical consequences in the books to incest. Infertility, deformed monstrous babies and mental illness are all included in Martin's story.

You are ignoring evidence to claim there is no evidence, and to create this false argument that incest is meaningless in Martin's story.

. However, as it applies to Daenerys and Jon, this is not even an issue since they have no previous relationship, they have never met and they certainly have never developed a relationship as an aunt and nephew. This would be completely different if it was Jon and Arya or Sana, or Daenerys and Viserys. 

Regarding the social taboo: there is a philosophical thought exercise of the case where two adults of consenting age who are both single as well as siblings decide to have a sexual relationship while using contraceptives or make sure that at least one of them is sterile, and then discuss whether that is morally wrong or not. Whether you have issues with such a case or not depends on whether you value individual liberties above social morals that grew out of biological physical risks. Just because you decide that it's not a moral issue in such a case, does not dictate that Dany and Jon will not have issues with it, nor that George would write it as unproblematic. The point of the whole exercise is to show how the social taboo of incest is not based on rational outcome of an individual case, but so strong within us that it goes deeper than that.

It is not entirely impossible that George intends to set up such a moral dilemma since Dany believes herself to be sterile, with that difference - Jon has been exposed to wildling social beliefs where even someone of the same village is regarded as incestuous. At least one of them would have serious moral issues with it, and Dany may learn she is not sterile after all, and I doubt it will have a positive ending for the both of them.

And I think you know very well that if George pairs Jon and Dany sexually, he does intend to make it problematic, otherwise I see no reason to argue so strongly and erronously to ignore infertility, madness and deformed (stillborn) babies as Martin's consequences within the story. 

6 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Jon is bound to have issues with it, whether they were or not in previous familial relationship. It would be weird for him to say at least and who knows where it leads. You need one night to make a childen, which is widely accepted that will happen. He will freak out about it, just like with Ned not being his father, Jon not being his original birthname. I wouldn't downplay effect on him as a character, Dany might be cool about it.

Errr:blink: Are you saying that being hit with a tidal wave of information that his life as he knew it was a lie, maybe his name- his basic identity he clings to- is also a lie, and then accidentally tripping and falling penis first into his aunt won't effect Jon as a character??? It absolutely should. Not only has he never had sexual feelings for his family, he has also been told you don't even take from your own village. That is turning his whole world of knowledge upside down with one kick after another.

...on a sidenote and something I meant to mention earlier in the thread, don't worry about sometimes forgetting book info, it happens to me often. With so many damned words and plots, sometimes things slip through :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

George does include physical deformities. He includes and mentions several deformed stillborn babies and miscarriages with the Targs, especially those that have been severely inbred. There definitely are physical consequences in the books. They are so deformed they never een have a chance at life at all, or not for long, and certainly not in a world that has no access to modern medicine. Just because those physically deformed don't get live beyond at most a week in the books relating Targ history means you can now suddenly claim there are no physical consequences in the books to incest. Infertility, deformed monstrous babies and mental illness are all included in Martin's story.

This is the same point I was trying to make upthread as well, so thank you for reiterating this fact. The deformities are there. Both mental and physical. Maybe Dany was somewhat saved from the physical side because she is half Blackwood???... but still inbred with that by a generation. Or, because she is the heroine that George says is most inspired by his own childhood, he chose to make Dany pretty no matter what :dunno:

If anyone is not sure if George included the deformities, aside from the main books, the World book is filled with them. A few examples:

• What was drawn from her womb was twisted and deformed, however, and died shortly after birth. Laena, too, soon expired.
  • She, too, became pregnant, and like Alys before her, she gave birth to a stillborn abomination said to have been born eyeless and with small wings.
  • In 47 AC she was with child, but three moons before the child was due, her labor began, and from her womb came another stillborn monster
  • When the babe at last came forth, she proved indeed a monster: a stillborn girl, twisted and malformed, with a hole in her chest where her heart should have been, and a stubby, scaled tail.
13 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

And I think you know very well that if George pairs Jon and Dany sexually, he does intend to make it problematic, otherwise I see no reason to argue so strongly and erronously to ignore infertility, madness and deformed (stillborn) babies as Martin's consequences within the story. 

If Dany and Jon do "hook up", and especially if a new baby Targling is the result, then there should be some major problems with the revelation and relationship. This is what George has been showing us all along. This is what he set up in the story and I'd hope if the show is brazen enough to show more incest, then they would at least (FINALLY!) show the consequences. To not show any would just be plain and simple show-fan service.

30 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

If Dany and Jon do "hook up", and especially if a new baby Targling is the result, then there should be some major problems with the revelation and relationship. This is what George has been showing us all along. This is what he set up in the story and I'd hope if the show is brazen enough to show more incest, then they would at least (FINALLY!) show the consequences. To not show any would just be plain and simple show-fan service.

I can see George have Jon be involved with Dany unknowingly, but I cannot see Jon sing Kumbaya when he discovers she's a close blood relative. There's Craster's and his wives being his daughters. Ygritte being so instructive about not even having any sexual relationships with someone of the same village and him alone being the one who helps Alys from not being forced to marry her first cousin and instead is married to the Magnar of Thenns (which is pretty much the farthest wildling tribe you can find) sets Jon up to be morally against a sexual or marital relationship with a blood relative. 

In the case of Val - I do think that George has Jon paired with Val openly at some point. She's the one who'll instruct him on how certain children are just conceptually monstrous. She named Gilly's son "monster" (an incest child) and thinks ill of Shyreen as well beause she is "deformed". Meanwhile she's very beautiful, blonde, blue eyed and "wild", and I can see the argument how Dany might remind Jon of Val, espeically if Val does not survive a certain conflict or disastrous event.

So that would be a situation of Jon mourning Val, falling in part for Dany because she reminds him of Val, and him believing it's a relationship in accordance with his personal accumulated morals since she comes from as far as she can possibly be and there is no "known" prior relation between a Targ and a Stark. And then he finds out that Dany's a close blood relative (the next worst thing apart from ending up in bed with your own mother)? That's the end of that relationship right there and then. If she then also turns out to be preggers he'd be completely mortified.

Other incest issues in the books, pointing to again "madness": the Lothstons of HH. Lothston's wife was Falena Stokeworth, Aegon IV's former mistress. Aegon later takes her daughter Jeyne Lothston as mistress as well, and it's implied in the World book that it was heavily suspected that it was his own daughter. He gave her the pox and the Lothston's were sent away from court. Eventually House Lothston went extinct went Mad Danelle became the terror of the Riverlands and Crownlands, with stories of her bathing in the blood of children. The last probably are exaggerated stories but with some grain of truth - Mad Danelle must have been pretty ruthless and blood thirsty and probably did kill children.

And let's not forget the Lannisters: 1st cousin marriage, with a mad Cersei for a daughter and a dwarf for a son. While there's speculation and hints of Tyrion possibly having been fathered by Aerys, it might also be a red herring, and then we have an incestuous couple (albeit one that is socially accepted from the North to the South) where of the three resulting children only one fully healthy child. While there are many causes (about 300) for dwarfism many of those have to do with allelles or genetic faults that mess with growth hormone. Incest increases the chances of pairing the genetic faults and thus physical issues: such as hemophilia, but also dwarfism.

9 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

I can see George have Jon be involved with Dany unknowingly, but I cannot see Jon sing Kumbaya when he discovers she's a close blood relative. There's Craster's and his wives being his daughters. Ygritte being so instructive about not even having any sexual relationships with someone of the same village and him alone being the one who helps Alys from not being forced to marry her first cousin and instead is married to the Magnar of Thenns (which is pretty much the farthest wildling tribe you can find) sets Jon up to be morally against a sexual or marital relationship with a blood relative. 

Yup. Jon is putting forth his thoughts on the matter on so many levels. The show skipped over every-single-bit of this storyline so far, so I am assuming (hoping?) this would be the time to "adapt" it in to the story now? (holding my breathe!) 

In the case of Val - I do think that George has Jon paired with Val openly at some point. She's the one who'll instruct him on how certain children are just conceptually monstrous. She named Gilly's son "monster" (an incest child) and thinks ill of Shyreen as well beause she is "deformed". Meanwhile she's very beautiful, blonde, blue eyed and "wild", and I can see the argument how Dany might remind Jon of Val, espeically if Val does not survive a certain conflict or disastrous event.

That  is terrifying to think of, but I trust George to make it right... and not for a cheap thrill.

So that would be a situation of Jon mourning Val, falling in part for Dany because she reminds him of Val, and him believing it's a relationship in accordance with his personal accumulated morals since she comes from as far as she can possibly be and there is no "known" prior relation between a Targ and a Stark. And then he finds out that Dany's a blood relative? That's the end of that relationship right there and then. If she then also turns out to be preggers he'd be completely mortified.

I totally agree. I also tend to think Jon would not abandon his incest Targ-baby if this did happen. His father taught him better than that.

Also, I just happened to be listening to ASOS a few minutes ago, and it was the part in a Sam chapter where Gilly is nursing "Monster" and Sam notices Jon watching and Jon has tears in his eyes:crying:Jon hit puberty! (just kidding :lol:)

Ok, off to sleep. I have a ton of work to catch up on tomorrow ;)

On 11/29/2016 at 11:58 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

True. And even apart from incest, there are lots of hints of corruption in the Targ line, just in general. There's something doomed about these people, that he's conveying in literary terms, with all of these hints. So the hope would be the characters we have come to care about in the story (Jon, Dany) take a different path.

1x10:

Dany: Tell me.

Jorah: What is there to tell?

Dany: How did my son die?

Jorah: He never lived, my princess. The women say -

Dany: What do the women say?

Jorah: They say the child was -

Maegi: Monstrous, twisted. l pulled him out myself. He was scaled like a lizard, blind, with leather wings like the wings of a bat. When l touched him the skin fell from his bones. lnside he was full of graveworms.

16 hours ago, Faint said:

I have no problem with this relationship. It's been setup since book one, season 1, episode 1. These two characters are connected to each other in almost a cosmic sense, they seem almost predestined to be with one another. The angst will be there but there is a reason they are being introduced and will fall in love with each other before they find out they are related. The knowledge of their connection will not stop them from wanting to be together, it'll pause it but won't stop it. 

The physical consequences of at least two of the birth have had magical aspects to them. Rhaego should technically not have been deformed, given his father had probably zero Valyrian blood but we know there was strong black magic associated with the birth. For Rhaenyra there was an incredible amount of stress on her and I don't trust the Hightowers, there is some dark magic juju going on with them. 

Well, to get on the topic of the OP, it does seem as though there will be a "hook up" between Dany and Jon this year. Whether Jon knows about it before hand is doubtful. I actually think that Bran will be the one to tell him but it may come in the finale when maybe they are all together, possibly in Winterfell or something like that or some other way. Dramatic end of season happening or something like that. Like LeCygne has mentioned, like some Greek Tragedy. However, where it goes, if it goes from there (Jon and Dany) remains to be seen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's nothing wrong with marrying your aunt/cousin. Has been done on numerous occasions both in ASOIAF and history (Joanna and Tywin come to mind here). In fact, I grew up in a part of the world where people marrying their first cousins was actually pretty commonly accepted particularly in rural/isolated communities. 

I think there is a pretty high chance of them getting married mainly because there it is by far the most feasible political alliance Dany could have mainly because D&D have way oversimplified the politics of Westerosi families and cut so many characters there's only 3 suitors when they should be dozens.

I don't have a problem with it though as long as its done well. And it does sound like something that George would have had in his original outline that they're simply following. That being said, his original original outline had a love triangle between Tyrion, Jon and Arya which sounded awful at the time so a Dany and Jon love story wouldn't surprise me at all.   

9 hours ago, RUSSELL BELL said:

There's nothing wrong with marrying your aunt/cousin. Has been done on numerous occasions both in ASOIAF and history (Joanna and Tywin come to mind here). In fact, I grew up in a part of the world where people marrying their first cousins was actually pretty commonly accepted particularly in rural/isolated communities. 

I think there is a pretty high chance of them getting married mainly because there it is by far the most feasible political alliance Dany could have mainly because D&D have way oversimplified the politics of Westerosi families and cut so many characters there's only 3 suitors when they should be dozens.

I don't have a problem with it though as long as its done well. And it does sound like something that George would have had in his original outline that they're simply following. That being said, his original original outline had a love triangle between Tyrion, Jon and Arya which sounded awful at the time so a Dany and Jon love story wouldn't surprise me at all.   

But how can Jon have two different views for the aunt/uncle figure?

I mean, he thinks of Benjen of what we would call an uncle in our world, the sibling of your father. Moreover, his real other uncle has been his father, so his notion of "sibling of your parent" seems very un-incestuous.

Then he gets to know he has had sex with his aunt. It should be very weird for him.

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully they do and nothing happen between them.

Jon/Daenerys is the worst ship in ASOIAF after all and I never understood why so many people want them to be together when they've never met and barely heard of each other.

Also he'd hate her based on his reaction to Axell Florent's actions

3 minutes ago, PirateVergo said:

Jon/Daenerys is the worst ship in ASOIAF after all and I never understood why so many people want them to be together when they've never met and barely heard of each other.

There will be romance. In the show and the books. Quite a bit of foreshadowing on this.

Maybe wrost ship for you but plenty of people love it. Besides hate for this ships steams from your hate for Dany. They'll spend quality time together.

He wouldn't hate her for this. It's an old argument by haters but as we know she burns Tarlys on the show and he still likes her. Viserys tried to kill her and her baby in Vaes Dothrak, Jon would understand that.  

4 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

There will be romance. In the show and the books. Quite a bit of foreshadowing on this.

There's absolutely no foreshadowing of it in the books.Daenerys' taste in man so far has been very uh how to put it in words, exotic? Daario and Drogo looks absolutely nothing like Jon who's described as solemn and is pretty boring personality wise at least compared to Daario.

The only reason Daenerys would have to be romantically involved with Jon is that he's a Targaryen Jon is also never described as good looking in the books

7 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Maybe wrost ship for you but plenty of people love it

Care to explain why? They literally have never interacted. Jon/Dany make very little sense really, they're opposites.

8 minutes ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Besides hate for this ships steams from your hate for Dany. They'll spend quality time together.

No my hate for the ship is that they've got no reason to end up together other than the fact that they're both targs.

Now I sadly think the show will go this way because they'll rush the ending and lack characters anyway but as far as the books is concerned I doubt Martin will go this way.

The only female character I could see Jon ending up with in the books is Val, Dany has Aegon,Daario and plenty of others.

4 minutes ago, PirateVergo said:

There's absolutely no foreshadowing of it in the books.Daenerys' taste in man so far has been very uh how to put it in words, exotic? Daario and Drogo looks absolutely nothing like Jon who's described as solemn and is pretty boring personality wise at least compared to Daario.

There is Bride of Fire part in HOTU visions, Val's hair turnoig silver in the moolight, Dany dreaming of younger more comely lover. Amount of parallels, hints, similar words. Come on dude. You understand that she's only a girl who's taste in man can change? Besides, if my theory is true George will show us a bit of darker Jon, more alpha. More like Drogo and Daario. Show went their own way, fair play to them.

The only reason Daenerys would have to be romantically involved with Jon is that he's a Targaryen Jon is also never described as good looking in the books

Jon is a certainly a good looking in both show or books. Show to certain degree hyping Jon's beauty due to Kit Harington. He's prettier than half of my daughters or as Tormund said both my daughters. Well, wildlings agree on this.

Care to explain why? They literally have never interacted. Jon/Dany make very little sense really, they're opposites.

They're very similar on many way burt also different. But you know opposites attract each other. It will start as a political alliance growing into love as we know from the books third mount will be for love. Dany will love third guy.

No my hate for the ship is that they've got no reason to end up together other than the fact that they're both targs.

They got plenty of reasons such as political, both last people of their family.

Now I sadly think the show will go this way because they'll rush the ending and lack characters anyway but as far as the books is concerned I doubt Martin will go this way.

D&D are following George's footsteps. If they're doing it, you can bet George will too.

The only female character I could see Jon ending up with in the books is Val, Dany has Aegon,Daario and plenty of others.

Val is Jon's Daario and since she's not even on the show, D&D are trimming unimportant characters from their perspective. Aegon will be dead, so will Daario in the books or show.

1 hour ago, Lord Friendzone said:

They got plenty of reasons such as political, both last people of their family.

Political? Not knowing who they are to eachother, I can buy it, but the moment they know they are related, they wouldn't and shouldn't marry because they are the last people of their Targ family. Dany? Maybe, although I don't think she is a classic Targaryen to follow these steps, so nope.. And Jon? Impossible!He wouldn't marry her to follow the Targ family traditions or because they are the last ones of the Targ family. He is a STARK:

1 hour ago, PirateVergo said:

I don't like them as a couple, either. Ifind difficulties for them together (of course as they not knowing they are related, once they know this is MUCH worse) but it's the fact they are very different. Political marriage as an option not knowing they are related is the only sceneario I can buy. But the fact we know they are related, and that they will know sooner or later, after all the incest in this series, is just another reason not to like this ship. Incest is bad. And We've had plenty of it. No need for more. 

3 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Political? Not knowing who they are to eachother, I can buy it, but the moment they know they are related, they wouldn't and shouldn't marry because they are the last people of their Targ family. Dany? Maybe, although I don't think she is a classic Targaryen to follow these steps, so nope.. And Jon? Impossible!He wouldn't marry her to follow the Targ family traditions or because they are the last ones of the Targ family. He is a STARK:

Politically it's good for both parties if they know doesn't know about their relations. She can gain the North, the Vale and possibly the Riverlands. If she knows about their relation to establish Targ dynasty, make Jon legitimate if he's not already a legitimate kid of Rhaegar.

Dany would follow as she said herself she would marry Rhaegar's son Aegon. If she knows that Jon is her family, she would marry him. s for Jon. If she gets pregnant and there is a chance. Then he's gonna marry her as fathering a bastard is not a good thing in his eyes. If she's not pregnant then too, political advantages.

Jon is half Stark and Targ. Why people are putting away his Targ side which is as important as Stark one. Starks actually married in their family. Not to the extent of Targs but also heart is another thing, he might be in love with her. Marriage makes all the sense but that doesn't mean it will be happy marriage and it will be all awesome.

3 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Politically it's good for both parties if they know doesn't know about their relations. She can gain the North, the Vale and possibly the Riverlands. If she knows about their relation to establish Targ dynasty, make Jon legitimate if he's not already a legitimate kid of Rhaegar.

Dany would follow as she said herself she would marry Rhaegar's son Aegon. If she knows that Jon is her family, she would marry him. s for Jon. If she gets pregnant and there is a chance. Then he's gonna marry her as fathering a bastard is not a good thing in his eyes. If she's not pregnant then too, political advantages.

Jon is half Stark and Targ. Why people are putting away his Targ side which is as important as Stark one. Starks actually married in their family. Not to the extent of Targs but also heart is another thing, he might be in love with her. Marriage makes all the sense but that doesn't mean it will be happy marriage and it will be all awesome.

Jon would never marry Dany as a result of embracing his Targ side, following their traditions. That would be the last thing he would do. First of all, even if he is a targ, he has not been raised as one, so he' will not be like an ordinary Targ. Never. Ever. He is Stark in heart. And if he married Dany it would not be for this reason. Just imagine Jon saying: "Ok, now I'm a Targ, I have to behave the way targs do". Can you? I just can't. And among the Targ traditions, this one is just the worst he would choose. He'd not do that to "be a Targ". And I highly doubt marrying between relatives is something that he has in his blood and now will appear out of a sudden, LOL. Not even all Targs did that...

Of course Starks have never married in their family to the extent of Targs; they have never married between siblings during centuries and one can count with the fingers of a hand how many "cousin-type" or marriages alike have been during generations, and as many people have pointed out when talking about this topic, it has not even always been between cousins (more like cousins once removed) and/or with forced situations. Not only that, but these marriages are a minority. So Jon could not apply the traditions of the Stark family to "be a Targ".

Targ family tree

Stark family tree

being the last ones alive from the Targ family is not a reason to arry between eachothe On the contrary, they could continue the Targ lineage separately.

Archived