reading Rhllor's fire

Clegane'sPup

Interpreting the visions seem to be equally important as deciphering the visions themselves. Melisandre is so self-righteous that it's no surprise that after convincing herself that Stannis is AA, nothing could change her mind, even if it burns right in front of her; there's no other valid interpretation for her, even when she thinks to herself that "I pray for a glimpse of Azor Ahai, and R’hllor shows me only Snow." (Notice that "Snow" is capitalized, so is a reference to Jon, whom she had just glimpsed in the fire)

There was no one, even in her order, who had her skill at seeing the secrets half-revealed and half-concealed within the sacred flames.

ADwD Chapter 31, Melisandre

Melisandre mentions "her order", which to me implies that there's a special branch of Red Priests dedicated to seeing fires and learning to interpret them. This might be relevant, in the sense that there could be different schools of reading and interpreting prophecy from the fires. I have mentioned before that Moqorro seems better at reading the fire than Melisandre, and this could be because of the different schools, although by the way she mentions "her order," it appears to be a prestigious one.

On 10/31/2016 at 1:35 AM, ThePrinceThatKnewNothing said:

Mel doesn't seem to be able to Interpret her flames as well as Benerro or Moqorro. But her misreading is leading her to Jon. Everything with Stannis was to take her to Jon, she just didn't know it. Plus I don't think either of the red priests are wrong. I don't see why both Jon and Dany can't be Azor Ahai reborn. 

Exactly, maybe there's method to her madness.

Everyone is laughing at how incompetent Melisandre is, yet she is the one at the Wall with (who I believe is AAR) Jon. Those going to Dany are going because she has fulfilled literally what is essentially a figurative prescription (a prophesy). Are they reading flames telling them that Dany is AAR or are they hearing about Dragons and going straight to her?

17 hours ago, Snowmelter said:

Dany was born  among smoke and salt and hatched her dragons out of petrified eggs.  She is the best fit in my opinion.  Then again, GRRM takes childlike delight in unreliable narrators and devious misdirections.  I think Mel is a fanatic who can't stand the thought of not being  the tool of the Red God in this  prophecy.  It makes me wonder if she is being willfully ignorant (twisting events around her to shoehorn into the prophecy), being misled by the Red God, being misled by someone/something else, or if she is actually right.

I think this is what's going on. GRRM is so masterful at convincing readers that certain characters are lovable dimwits and that we know better than some of the characters, and then he pulls a fast one with some unexpected plot twist that has been foreshadowed in three or four different ways, if we had only read the hints correctly.

18 hours ago, Moving Watch said:

Why does that surprise you? Ask three astrologers the same question, and you will probably get four different answers. :P

The image is one thing, the interpretation something completely different. Never forget the individual mindset behind the prophecy. The imagery is always true, while the subjective intellect is always prone to errors and misinterpretations, just because it's subjective. It's got nothing to do with malevolence, to begin with.

As an example take the return of the supposed Arya. Mel saw in the flames a grey clad girl on a dying horse (or something like that). She saw the truth. Now, she heard from Jon that his sister was married to the monster Ramsay Bolton in Winterfell, and she knew how Jon was afraid for her and how wretched Arya must have been. She didn't want to mislead him, she wanted to predict him as accurately as possible, and surely she wanted to perplex him, so she mixed all information together in a stew named: "Your sister Arya is on her way to you!" It's a quite common mistake to leap to false conclusions, because the data seem to match so perfectly (Melisandre: "I had to be Arya, who else could it be?"), and this holds true not only for psychics and the like, but also for scientists.

What Mel said was the Jon Snow's sister was coming to him, not that it was Arya, right? And then Alys Karstark turns up. The immediate thought for the reader is, "Melisandre, you knucklehead! Can't you get anything right?" But what if Alys really is, somehow, Jon's sister? After some thought, I remembered the line from Tyrion to Jon: "You have more of the north in you than your brothers." What if Ned never lied to us, and he really is Jon's father? Or what if Brandon Stark had an incestuous affair with his sister Lyanna, and he is Jon's father? What if Alys was given to the Karstarks to raise with the condition that her origin be kept secret, but she came from a family with a closer connection to one of Jon's parents?

Alys (born 284 or 285) is younger than Jon Snow (born 283) but maybe a year or two older than Sansa (born 286), according to the wiki. Arya was born 289.

I realize this is speculation unless there are some hidden clues that we haven't picked up on. And there would have to be other twists, such as Lyanna did not die at the Tower of Joy or something like that. One of my favorite throw-away lines about possible baby-swapping in the Stark family comes from a Sansa POV:

Sansa could never understand how two sisters, born only two years apart, could be so different. It would have been easier if Arya had been a bastard, like their half brother Jon. She even looked like Jon, with the long face and brown hair of the Starks, and nothing of their lady mother in her face or her coloring. And Jon's mother had been common, or so people whispered. Once, when she was littler, Sansa had even asked Mother if perhaps there hadn't been some mistake. Perhaps the grumkins had stolen her real sister. But Mother had only laughed and said no, Arya was her daughter and Sansa's trueborn sister, blood of their blood. Sansa could not think why Mother would want to lie about it, so she supposed it had to be true.

(AGoT, Sansa I)

Doesn't that sound like a GRRM hint, when he says a character "could not think why Mother would want to lie"? Shouldn't we immediately wonder why Catelyn might have wanted to lie about the paternity of (some of) her children? The Sansa line doesn't necessarily shed light on a potential connection between Alys and Jon, but maybe there is more to the loving circle of the Stark family than we know at this point.

On 10/30/2016 at 8:35 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

Unless something miraculous happens to Melisandre going forward, she should just put in an application to the nearest Renaissance Festival to work as a palmist in a dingy, fake gypsy wagon reading hands for cash.

She just doesn't get it, just like when she asks to see a glimpse of AA and all she sees is Snow, she also sees this about Stannis and doesn't get the hint:

Melisandre's face darkened. "That creature is dangerous. Many a time I have glimpsed him in my flames. Sometimes there are skulls about him, and his lips are red with blood."
[Jon] A wonder you haven't had the poor man burned. All it would take was a word in the queen's ear, and Patchface would feed her fires. "You see fools in your fire, but no hint of Stannis?"

Keep in mind that we have had extensive contact with two characters with the Snow surname. People always assume Melisandre is missing the hints about Jon, but what if she is missing the hints that are about Ramsay? What a twist that would be.

I like the possibility that the Patchface visions might represent Stannis. I had interpreted Patchface as a symbolic representation of Robert, but maybe Stannis would fit, too.

I also agree with the speculation in this thread that Azor Ahai might be embodied by two people.

On 10/30/2016 at 8:35 PM, Curled Finger said:

Then again, I also wonder if Mel isn't a rogue operator, really removed from the main faith

17 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

17 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Why did Melisandre seek out Stannis? Did she see him in her flames and decided to seek him out on her own, or is she on a mission on behalf of the red priests? It doesn't seem at any point as if the latter is the case, when you compare to Moqorro who has been sent out by the priesthood.

You're right. Melisandre has gone to Stannis entirely on her own, and has her own agenda

Thanks LM. Hummmmmmmmm, seems like Curled Finger is on to something.

I'm being serious and also jovial; let me get my antennae adjusted. Mel is not who she appears to be. That ruby necklace around her neck binds her to someone or something just as that ruby bracelet around Mance's wrist bound him to her?

56 minutes ago, Seams said:

I think this is what's going on. GRRM is so masterful at convincing readers that certain characters are lovable dimwits and that we know better than some of the characters, and then he pulls a fast one with some unexpected plot twist that has been foreshadowed in three or four different ways, if we had only read the hints correctly.

What Mel said was the Jon Snow's sister was coming to him, not that it was Arya, right? And then Alys Karstark turns up. The immediate thought for the reader is, "Melisandre, you knucklehead! Can't you get anything right?" But what if Alys really is, somehow, Jon's sister? After some thought, I remembered the line from Tyrion to Jon: "You have more of the north in you than your brothers." What if Ned never lied to us, and he really is Jon's father? Or what if Brandon Stark had an incestuous affair with his sister Lyanna, and he is Jon's father? What if Alys was given to the Karstarks to raise with the condition that her origin be kept secret, but she came from a family with a closer connection to one of Jon's parents?

Alys (born 284 or 285) is younger than Jon Snow (born 283) but maybe a year or two older than Sansa (born 286), according to the wiki. Arya was born 289.

I realize this is speculation unless there are some hidden clues that we haven't picked up on. And there would have to be other twists, such as Lyanna did not die at the Tower of Joy or something like that. One of my favorite throw-away lines about possible baby-swapping in the Stark family comes from a Sansa POV:

Sansa could never understand how two sisters, born only two years apart, could be so different. It would have been easier if Arya had been a bastard, like their half brother Jon. She even looked like Jon, with the long face and brown hair of the Starks, and nothing of their lady mother in her face or her coloring. And Jon's mother had been common, or so people whispered. Once, when she was littler, Sansa had even asked Mother if perhaps there hadn't been some mistake. Perhaps the grumkins had stolen her real sister. But Mother had only laughed and said no, Arya was her daughter and Sansa's trueborn sister, blood of their blood. Sansa could not think why Mother would want to lie about it, so she supposed it had to be true.

(AGoT, Sansa I)

Doesn't that sound like a GRRM hint, when he says a character "could not think why Mother would want to lie"? Shouldn't we immediately wonder why Catelyn might have wanted to lie about the paternity of (some of) her children? The Sansa line doesn't necessarily shed light on a potential connection between Alys and Jon, but maybe there is more to the loving circle of the Stark family than we know at this point.

Keep in mind that we have had extensive contact with two characters with the Snow surname. People always assume Melisandre is missing the hints about Jon, but what if she is missing the hints that are about Ramsay? What a twist that would be.

I like the possibility that the Patchface visions might represent Stannis. I had interpreted Patchface as a symbolic representation of Robert, but maybe Stannis would fit, too.

I also agree with the speculation in this thread that Azor Ahai might be embodied by two people.

Also remember the PF "riding seahorses and mermaids blowing shells" prophecy.  PF, the fool, says that he will lead it.  

Jon mocks Melisandre for only seeing FOOLS in her fire, not Stannis.  Then, she admits to him that she doesn't see Stannis when searching for him, only SNOW. 

9 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Also remember the PF "riding seahorses and mermaids blowing shells" prophecy.  PF, the fool, says that he will lead it.  

Jon mocks Melisandre for only seeing FOOLS in her fire, not Stannis.  Then, she admits to him that she doesn't see Stannis when searching for him, only SNOW. 

I am curious as to what your and Seams word play provides. Are you suggesting Patchface is this Azor Ahai? As I mentioned up thread I am not real knowledgeable about the legends.

As the original post suggested there does seem to be a discrepancy between what Mel believes and what Benerro believes. They are both supposed to be believers of Rhllor.

What's Mel up to?

Rhllor showed stannis to her, as a way to get her to jon, she prayed for a glimpse of AA back then, and Rhllor showed stannis, she thought he was AA, but he was just a means to get to Azor Ahai, i believe of all the red priests, mel is the most devout and a true believer, thus she is the only one with jon a the moment, and will play a big role on his ressurrection.

2 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I am curious as to what your and Seams word play provides. Are you suggesting Patchface is this Azor Ahai? As I mentioned up thread I am not real knowledgeable about the legends.

As the original post suggested there does seem to be a discrepancy between what Mel believes and what Benerro believes. They are both supposed to be believers of Rhllor.

What's Mel up to?

"I will lead it! We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh."  

House Velaryon and Manderly may side together with Jon, not Stannis.  That is,  The Fool leading an army might Jon as the King of the North, with Northern troops and Stannis's former allies.  

27 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

"I will lead it! We will march into the sea and out again. Under the waves we will ride seahorses, and mermaids will blow seashells to announce our coming, oh, oh, oh."  

House Velaryon and Manderly may side together with Jon, not Stannis.  That is,  The Fool leading an army might Jon as the King of the North, with Northern troops and Stannis's former allies.  

Nice connection!

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

What's Mel up to?

Mel and Benerro believe two different people to be Azor Ahai.  Keep in mind that Mel was in Westeros when the comet appeared in the sky and was at the Wall when news of Daenerys' dragons began to hit Westeros.  That is, Benerro can make a connection of these two events to Daenerys while Mel cannot. 

As someone posted up-thread,  the visions of Stannis were probably meant to send her eventually to Jon, although she is still unaware of this.

6 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Mel and Benerro believe two different people to be Azor Ahai.  Keep in mind that Mel was in Westeros when the comet appeared in the sky and was at the Wall when news of Daenerys' dragons began to hit Westeros.  That is, Benerro can make a connection of these two events to Daenerys while Mel cannot. 

As someone posted up-thread,  the visions of Stannis were probably meant to send her eventually to Jon, although she is still unaware of this.

You mean the visions of Stannis were meant to bring Daenerys to Jon. Also which Mel are you referring to. i mean i remember Benerro but not Mel.

Also should be mentioned that we don't know whether Mel is confusing Azor Ahai with the Prince that was Promised. She has used both and seemingly believes Stanis is both of these, but they could be completely different for all we know. Daenerys seems to fit what we know of Azor Ahai more, whereas Jon is a better fit for the prince that was promised.

@Clegane'sPup, what's with this lack of love for Moqorro?  We only get a snippet of Benerro, but lots of Moqorro.    He's scary like Mel's scary--face tatted down with flames, skin so dark it appears to be burnt.   Perhaps Moqorro has known death a time or 2?    And he knows so much.   I can't figure out his angle with Vic outside of a quicker way to get to Dany, but why heal his hand, if that's what he actually did...I'm not sure black and smoking is actually healed, but it's something!  And that crazy laughter in the cabin...oh yeah, all kinds of creepy.   One thing is sure, while Euron is having a grand time killing all the holy men the Red Priests are definitely placing themselves in extraordinary circumstances.  

To your Azor Ahai, Stallion That Mounts The World and The Prince That Was Promised, there are many names for the hero who beat The Long Night back in the day that spawned the Age of Heroes.  I'm going to count them up to see if I can come up with 13 names to make the tale of The Last Hero the end all beat all.   Then the party starts.   

To the Red Priests' agenda, Thoros of Myr, party boy of kings, has found himself in something he could never have seen in the flames, yet here he is in strange company, miserable and unlikely.    He still looks to his night fires for answers.  He's had quite a conversion and converts many to R'hllor without all the human sacrifice.    Mel burns people on such a grand scale but the other Red Priests don't seem to perform these ritual sacrifices at all and I can't help but wonder what the significance of this is, particularly when Mel insists on destroying icons, relics and totems of all other religions.   She's quite a character.

Fun conversation, Pup.  2 thumbs up! 

2 hours ago, Wrl6199 said:

You mean the visions of Stannis were meant to bring Daenerys to Jon. Also which Mel are you referring to. i mean i remember Benerro but not Mel.

No.  I was preposing that perhaps the fires brought Melisandre (Mel for short) to Stannis so that he could introduce her to Jon.  

16 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

what's with this lack of love for Moqorro?  We only get a snippet of Benerro, but lots of Moqorro.    He's scary like Mel's scary--face tatted down with flames, skin so dark it appears to be burnt.   Perhaps Moqorro has known death a time or 2?    And he knows so much.   I can't figure out his angle with Vic outside of a quicker way to get to Dany, but why heal his hand, if that's what he actually did...I'm not sure black and smoking is actually healed, but it's something!  And that crazy laughter in the cabin...oh yeah, all kinds of creepy.   One thing is sure, while Euron is having a grand time killing all the holy men the Red Priests are definitely placing themselves in extraordinary circumstances.  

Okay sum love for Moqorro coming your way. He has tattoo’s, he floated around in the ocean for 10 days and he char broiled Vic’s arm. Yuk, makes me wanta lay of grilled meat for a while. Moqorro is a better flame seer than Mel. He also mentions Benerro has sent him to seek out Dany. The reason I think Moqorro is not being completely truthful with Vic is because Vic and Euron don’t actually have Dany’s best interest in mind.

Another difference between Mel & Moq is Moq does’t seem to be carrying around a chest of supplies:

Her sleeves were full of hidden pockets, and she checked them carefully as she did every morning to make certain all her powders were in place. Powders to turn fire green or blue or silver, powders to make a flame roar and hiss and leap up higher than a man is tall, powders to make smoke. A smoke for truth, a smoke for lust, a smoke for fear, and the thick black smoke that could kill a man outright. The red priestess armed herself with a pinch of each of them.

The carved chest that she had brought across the narrow sea was more than three-quarters empty now. And while Melisandre had the knowledge to make more powders, she lacked many rare ingredients. My spells should suffice. She was stronger at the Wall, stronger even than in Asshai. Her every word and gesture was more potent, and she could do things that she had never done before. Such shadows as I bring forth here will be terrible, and no creature of the dark will stand before them. With such sorceries at her command, she should soon have no more need of the feeble tricks of alchemists and pyromancers.

She shut the chest, turned the lock, and hid the key inside her skirts in another secret pocket.

I’m just making conversation about the things that are transpiring in the books. I don’t have a theory. Sometimes when other people share their thoughts and ideas it helps me figure out wtf is going on.

1 hour ago, Greywater-Watch said:

Melisandre is proud, ambitious and vain. She wants to impress all those around her, she wants to lead, not to serve. And she is knowingly overstretching the interpretation of what blurred pictures she sees in the the fires.

That SSM link provided by LM on the first page states Mel is acting on her own.

"Why did Melisandre seek out Stannis? Did she see him in her flames and decided to seek him out on her own, or is she on a mission on behalf of the red priests? It doesn't seem at any point as if the latter is the case, when you compare to Moqorro who has been sent out by the priesthood."

"You're right. Melisandre has gone to Stannis entirely on her own, and has her own agenda."

I’m thinking that ruby chocker around her neck tethers her to someone or something just like that ruby bracelet around Mance’s wrist tethered him to her.

15 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

No.  I was preposing that perhaps the fires brought Melisandre (Mel for short) to Stannis so that he could introduce her to Jon.  

Mel keeps mentioning R’hllor vs the Great Other. On the https://asearchoficeandfire.com/ if a person were to type Rhllor they would get nada. If the apostrophe is included I can read Mel’s & other characters musings about R’hllor.

"The war," she affirmed. "There are two, Onion Knight. Not seven, not one, not a hundred or a thousand. Two! Do you think I crossed half the world to put yet another vain king on yet another empty throne? The war has been waged since time began, and before it is done, all men must choose where they will stand. On one side is R'hllor, the Lord of Light, the Heart of Fire, the God of Flame and Shadow. Against him stands the Great Other whose name may not be spoken, the Lord of Darkness, the Soul of Ice, the God of Night and Terror. Ours is not a choice between Baratheon and Lannister, between Greyjoy and Stark. It is death we choose, or life. Darkness, or light." She clasped the bars of his cell with her slender white hands. The great ruby at her throat seemed to pulse with its own radiance.

3 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Okay sum love for Moqorro coming your way. He has tattoo’s, he floated around in the ocean for 10 days and he char broiled Vic’s arm. Yuk, makes me wanta lay of grilled meat for a while. Moqorro is a better flame seer than Mel. He also mentions Benerro has sent him to seek out Dany. The reason I think Moqorro is not being completely truthful with Vic is because Vic and Euron don’t actually have Dany’s best interest in mind.

3 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

"You're right. Melisandre has gone to Stannis entirely on her own, and has her own agenda.

I suspect that Moqorro has his own agenda, too. He is really good at discerning details in the flames - telling Victarion tomorrow's weather and what kind of ships he will encounter for purposes of plundering. He may have seen things Benerro didn't see, but took the mission to go to Dany because he knew he would encounter the guy he sees as the real up-and-coming hero: Tyrion.

"...What do you see in those flames?"
"Dragons," Moqorro said in the Common Tongue of Westeros. He spoke it very well, with hardly a trace of accent. No doubt that was one reason the high priest Benerro had chosen him to bring the faith of R'hllor to Daenerys Targaryen. "Dragons old and young, true and false, bright and dark. And you. A small man with a big shadow, snarling in the midst of all."
"Snarling? An amiable fellow like me?" Tyrion was almost flattered. And no doubt that is just what he intends. Every fool loves to hear that he's important.

(ADwD, Tyrion VIII)

Aside from seeing Tyrion in his flames, there are some details that, I believe, indicate Moqorro will be loyal to Tyrion:

...The red priest stood on the forecastle facing the storm, his staff raised above his head as he boomed a prayer. Amidships, a dozen sailors and two of the fiery fingers were struggling with tangled lines and sodden canvas, but whether they were trying to raise the sail again or pull it down he never knew. Whatever they were doing, it seemed to him a very bad idea. And so it was.

The wind returned as a whispered threat, cold and damp, brushing over his cheek, flapping the wet sail, swirling and tugging at Moqorro's scarlet robes. Some instinct made Tyrion grab hold of the nearest rail, just in time. In the space of three heartbeats the little breeze became a howling gale. Moqorro shouted something, and green flames leapt from the dragon's maw atop his staff to vanish in the night. Then the rains came, black and blinding, and forecastle and sterncastle both vanished behind a wall of water. Something huge flapped overhead, and Tyrion glanced up in time to see the sail taking wing, with two men still dangling from the lines. Then he heard a crack. Oh, bloody hell, he had time to think, that had to be the mast.
By the time the storm abated and the surviving passengers and crew came crawling back on deck, like pale pink worms wriggling to the surface after a rain, the Selaesori Qhoran was a broken thing, floating low in the water and listing ten degrees to port, her hull sprung in half a hundred places, her hold awash in seawater, her mast a splintered ruin no taller than a dwarf. Even her figurehead had not escaped; one of his arms had broken off, the one with all his scrolls. Nine men had been lost, including a mate, two of the fiery fingers, and Moqorro himself.
Did Benerro see this in his fires? Tyrion wondered, when he realized the huge red priest was gone. Did Moqorro?

(ADwD, Tyrion IX)

When a character loses fingers, the result is that they become loyal to the king who took the fingers (Great Jon Umber losing fingers in the mouth of Grey Wind is a good example of this). While Tyrion didn't literally kill the two men (of five) that he nicknamed Moqorro's "fingers," they were carried off by what looks like a dragon - a loose sail caught up in the storm. In fact, the imagery here makes Moqorro seem very dragon-like, with the green flames coming from the dragon's mouth on his staff. And he is described as having very, very black skin. Could Moqorro be Tyrion's Drogon?

Another detail concerns Moqorro's clothing when he is picked up by Victarion's people:

His voice was so deep it seemed to come from the bottom of the sea. "I am but a humble slave of R'hllor, the Lord of Light."
R'hllor. A red priest, then. Victarion had seen such men in foreign cities, tending their sacred fires. Those had worn rich red robes of silk and velvet and lambswool. This one was dressed in faded, salt-stained rags that clung to his thick legs and hung about his torso in tatters … but when the captain peered at the rags more closely, it did appear as if they might once have been red. "A pink priest," Victarion announced.

Victarion was uncertain. He came out of the sea. Why would the Drowned God cast him up unless he meant for us to find him? His brother Euron had his pet wizards. Perhaps the Drowned God meant for Victarion to have one too. "Why do you say this man is a wizard?" he asked the Vole. "I see only a ragged red priest."

(ADwD, The Iron Suitor - Victarion POV)

I have noticed a pattern of deserters and turncloaks being associated with ragged clothing. So Moqorro may have secretly abandoned the mission to go help Dany. I don't believe he is working on Victarion's behalf, except to the extent that Victarion can help Tyrion. Or maybe the ragged clothing represents his fake support for Victarion: he is given a new outfit with Greyjoy colors and sigil, sort of like Jon wore sheepskins when he was undercover with the wildlings. Moqorro may still be planning to help Dany, if he sees her interests and Tyrion's coinciding.

Archived