HBO's Westworld(v3)- The man in black fled across the desert, and we all followed. [spoilers]

Ramsay B.

I'm thinking over Teddy's monologue on the Maze:

“The Maze is an old Native myth. The Maze itself is the sum of a man’s life. The choices he makes, the dreams he hangs onto. And there at the center there’s a legendary man who had been killed over and over again countless times. But always clawed his way back to life. The man returned for a last time to vanquish all his oppressors in a tireless fury. Built a house and around that house he built a maze so complicated only he could navigate through it. I reckon he’s seen enough fighting.”

Ideas?  I can't come up with much that isn't tinfoil at this point, but I'm still stewing on it.

Too obvious that Arnold is the man at the center?

16 minutes ago, Astromech said:

What if Arnold was always an android, never actually human? The first of Ford's creations and favorite.

I like it.

What if all the hosts, at their core programming, are just dumbed down versions of Arnold, with their stats tweaked, and different narratives laid over top of that?  

Also saw an interesting theory that Wyatt is the Minotaur guarding the center of the Maze. 

7 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I like it.

What if all the hosts, at their core programming, are just dumbed down versions of Arnold, with their stats tweaked, and different narratives laid over top of that?  

Also saw an interesting theory that Wyatt is the Minotaur guarding the center of the Maze. 

Ooo, I like that one. Or maybe Teddy is the Minotaur.

I just did some refreshing on Theseus and the Minotaur and the Labyrinth... so (to summarize), the maze was designed as a prison, where the king would put the prisoners at the center and the maze so complicated that none of them could ever hope to escape.  I think Teddy fits as Theseus and Delores as Ariadne... Wyatt as the Minotaur.  MiB playing out the narrative to rescue Arnold at the center?  A bit crackpot maybe... 

9 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

I just did some refreshing on Theseus and the Minotaur and the Labyrinth... so (to summarize), the maze was designed as a prison, where the king would put the prisoners at the center and the maze so complicated that none of them could ever hope to escape.  I think Teddy fits as Theseus and Delores as Ariadne... Wyatt as the Minotaur.  MiB playing out the narrative to rescue Arnold at the center?  A bit crackpot maybe... 

And the prisoner is Arnold?  Someone Ford set there for whatever reason...he does seem disturbed by the maze and the hosts reaction to it. When he saw it carved into the one table this week, he did not seem pleased.. 

Westworld itself..interesting that there appears to be a hotel at the top of it...we've seen glimpses of the top, but that there is the pool and bar there...the revelation of the Board Member was odd there...

So there are more than 80 sub basements...it seems the people working at the park have been moving up and up as things progress...that one sub level that seems to have been flooded in the pilot epiaode, yet looked like an office building...so strange...

1 hour ago, Ded As Ned said:

I'm thinking over Teddy's monologue on the Maze:

Ideas?  I can't come up with much that isn't tinfoil at this point, but I'm still stewing on it.

Too obvious that Arnold is the man at the center?

As long as there isn't a hatch at the centre of the maze and we have to wait until season 2 to discover what's inside it.

I loved spotting the Gunslinger from the original film (as well as his motif in the music) which I thought was a great touch.  Is it significant that the Gunslinger isn't

Spoiler

a burnt-out shell, as he was by the end of the film? Probably not, and it's just an Easter egg, but it did strike me.

I'm still not convinced by the William=MiB theories, but I'm enjoying the ride so far!

19 hours ago, Astromech said:

What if Arnold was always an android, never actually human? The first of Ford's creations and favorite.

I think something happened to Ford's family on that trip to Cornwall that is so creepily preserved.  Perhaps an accident that resulted from his father's drinking.

Maybe Arnold was a wealthy benefactor who adopted and trained Ford.  Or maybe Arnold is Ford's imaginary friend, the voice in his head.

What if Arnold is nothing but a piece of "old" code?

Totally called Young Robert as that little kid. I'm so seldom correct that it warrants my smug feeling.

:lol: at Sizemore.

Maeve was wonderful,she continues to be my favourite part of the show. Her tour of Westworld, seeing her "dream" of a daughter on the screen, turning and threatening the tech. Gave me shivers. Hope Thandie gets the Golden Globe nomination HBO have submitted her for. And her second scene was fantastic too.

Teddy shooting up the camp was awesome.

Theresa being the one smuggling data was surprising.

Elsie got snatched?!

I'm so confused by this whole Arnold thing (apart from the obvious Ford - Greyhound analogy). But I'm so excited to keep watching, the show gets better each week for me. 

I did miss Delores though

3 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

:lol: at Sizemore.

Maeve was wonderful,she continues to be my favourite part of the show. Her tour of Westworld, seeing her "dream" of a daughter on the screen, turning and threatening the tech. Gave me shivers. Hope Thandie gets the Golden Globe nomination HBO have submitted her for. And her second scene was fantastic too.

Loved Sizemore being drunk and just pissing all over!

As to Maeve, I still chuckle at that troll poster who bitched about her character, about how she was useless and just a whore.

I was slightly disappointed at the discovery of the changes to programming - I'd hoped the hosts were becoming self-aware, but it seems to all be down to interventions in their programming rather than actual awareness through learning. (Or did I misunderstand those reveals by Elsie and the other techs?)

4 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

I was slightly disappointed at the discovery of the changes to programming - I'd hoped the hosts were becoming self-aware, but it seems to all be down to interventions in their programming rather than actual awareness through learning. (Or did I misunderstand those reveals by Elsie and the other techs?)

I think that's correct. I don't mind it though, because the programming change is really only a catalyst for the change, and explains why it doesn't affect all hosts. It also leaves the hosts with their own part to play - after all, the re-programming didn't make Maeve take control of the situation with the techs.

30 minutes ago, Ser Quork said:

I think the programming changes were to broadcast a signal (voices?) to the hosts.  Also perhaps changes to their personality matrix to increase paranoia as Felix mentioned.  All the better to build a religion around.

found this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2016/10/20/george-rr-martin-wants-to-see-a-westworld-game-of-thrones-mash-u/

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Totally called Young Robert as that little kid. I'm so seldom correct that it warrants my smug feeling.

You did.  I remember reading your post and thinking... "Nah no way".  :cheers:

ETA: (Or maybe it was Theda.  Or both.  I didn't go back to check)

1 hour ago, Ser Quork said:

I hadn't thought of it that way. So you're suggesting they aren't becoming self-aware on their own and are merely being altered from outside sources? I think I'd be disappointed if that's all that is happening as it takes away the host's agency - in the sense they are still just following out orders. Hopefully more is going on.

36 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Maeve was already becoming self-aware before Felix adjusted her programming .  

Elsie discovered that someone was altering the hosts' programming (through the satellite link-ups) before Felix got ahold of Maeve... I think that's what Red Snow was referring to.  It's indicated that that has something to do with them becoming self-aware... although to what extent remains to be seen.

Like Snow said, if it's just more programming making them "act" self-aware I'll be disappointed.  If it's some scripts that unlock their sentience, that'd be better for me.  Which then begs the question... what exactly is sentience? How do you know you actually experienced all the experiences you remember, and that they weren't just implanted into your mind.  Does it make a difference?  

Archived