HBO's Westworld(v3)- The man in black fled across the desert, and we all followed. [spoilers]

Ramsay B.

5 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Elsie discovered that someone was altering the hosts' programming (through the satellite link-ups) before Felix got ahold of Maeve... I think that's what Red Snow was referring to.  It's indicated that that has something to do with them becoming self-aware... although to what extent remains to be seen.

Like Snow said, if it's just more programming making them "act" self-aware I'll be disappointed.  If it's some scripts that unlock their sentience, that'd be better for me.  Which then begs the question... what exactly is sentience? How do you know you actually experienced all the experiences you remember, and that they weren't just implanted into your mind.  Does it make a difference?  

Exactly my point (above).  Not only Elsie, but Felix and the other tech could see she'd been re-coded before they even started.  This is a divergence I was not expecting.

53 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

Elsie discovered that someone was altering the hosts' programming (through the satellite link-ups) before Felix got ahold of Maeve... I think that's what Red Snow was referring to.  It's indicated that that has something to do with them becoming self-aware... although to what extent remains to be seen.

Like Snow said, if it's just more programming making them "act" self-aware I'll be disappointed.  If it's some scripts that unlock their sentience, that'd be better for me.  Which then begs the question... what exactly is sentience? How do you know you actually experienced all the experiences you remember, and that they weren't just implanted into your mind.  Does it make a difference?  

Yeah - it was them being altered via the sat-link I was referring to.

I think if they are given a program to be sentient that's better than they are being programmed to do what the sat-link folk want under the illusion of sentience. Although maybe we are all being fooled into thinking they are sentient? That would be a mindfuck at this stage but it's not going to happen as it undoes most of the show's premise.

As for sentience, what you question is something that's a hot topic in many popular neuroscience/philosophy books. We are sentient but many of our "decisions" are made on the fly based on pre-wiring/DNA so are we actually making decisions? I think as long as said pre-wiring isn't deliberately altered by anyone other than nature it's fine. When someone is deliberately altering them (as may be the case in Westworld) it's not fine. If it's merely a sentience program the hosts are being given then that's ok. The fact Maeve has found a way to alter her personality traits seems to suggest the latter is more likely.

10 minutes ago, red snow said:

Yeah - it was them being altered via the sat-link I was referring to.

I think if they are given a program to be sentient that's better than they are being programmed to do what the sat-link folk want under the illusion of sentience. Although maybe we are all being fooled into thinking they are sentient? That would be a mindfuck at this stage but it's not going to happen as it undoes most of the show's premise.

As for sentience, what you question is something that's a hot topic in many popular neuroscience/philosophy books. We are sentient but many of our "decisions" are made on the fly based on pre-wiring/DNA so are we actually making decisions? I think as long as said pre-wiring isn't deliberately altered by anyone other than nature it's fine. When someone is deliberately altering them (as may be the case in Westworld) it's not fine. If it's merely a sentience program the hosts are being given then that's ok. The fact Maeve has found a way to alter her personality traits seems to suggest the latter is more likely.

I think that Maeve has to be programmed for greater perception, etc., is in itself quite telling - it doesn't seem to be something she can achieve for herself.

1 hour ago, Ser Quork said:

I think that Maeve has to be programmed for greater perception, etc., is in itself quite telling - it doesn't seem to be something she can achieve for herself.

That's a valid point.  Or at least she is incapable of changing her own stats, which I think is what you're saying.

Also wonder if the hosts' physical attributes are able to be manipulated the same as their mental/personality are.  Are they capable of super-human strength and such, but their programming has them only use a fraction of it?  Or do they have human-level physical limitations?

13 minutes ago, Ded As Ned said:

That's a valid point.  Or at least she is incapable of changing her own stats, which I think is what you're saying.

Also wonder if the hosts' physical attributes are able to be manipulated the same as their mental/personality are.  Are they capable of super-human strength and such, but their programming has them only use a fraction of it?  Or do they have human-level physical limitations?

There was a scene where MiB pulled out a knife and before he could flinch Teddy had his arm preventing it from moving. I take that to mean they are faster and stronger, when not limited by the controllers.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

I hadn't thought of it that way. So you're suggesting they aren't becoming self-aware on their own and are merely being altered from outside sources? I think I'd be disappointed if that's all that is happening as it takes away the host's agency - in the sense they are still just following out orders. Hopefully more is going on.

I see it as the reprogramming being a catalyst. Which in a way makes sense, in the very beginning Maeve was "triggered" by Delores' "violent delights." That is presumably something Arnold built in, some voice activation or something. That was clearly what started her on the path to self-awareness, and now she is taking steps of her own accord to know more about herself and all of this. So I don't find the programming disappointing, on the contrary I think it's quite a good move. Gives a reason for all of this happening now rather than just "because it's been some time"

This episode really had some great plot reveals. I love how it blended those reveals with a deepening mystery. Maeve's control over the butchers is a bit of a stretch, but Thandie Newton nude is a win no matter what. I'm now pretty sure Ford will end up dead by season's end. I'm curious to see if there's a "host" Ford out there that somehow has Arnold's intelligence and will take over as a doppelganger for Ford if/when he's killed. 

Also, I just found out there was a brief TV series called Beyond Westworld that aired only three episodes in 1980. According to Wikipedia it was about a scientist named Quinn trying to use hosts to take over the world. Apparently hosts were integrated into society and the show involved a WW security guard finding them and capturing them. I wonder if this is in HBO show cannon or if it will come up in future episodes. I feel like this could be something Arnold is either trying to stop or secretly set in motion.

Oh, and did anyone notice an extremely WW film Yule Brenner looking figure in the shadows of the Gen 1 basement where Bernard went to retrieve the data about the rogue host? Is the film somehow in the HBO show's canon!?!?

3 minutes ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Oh, and did anyone notice an extremely WW film Yule Brenner looking figure in the shadows of the Gen 1 basement where Bernard went to retrieve the data about the rogue host? Is the film somehow in the HBO show's canon!?!?

No. They just stuck it in as a nod.

@polishgeniusWell done with that link! I have to remember to check back at EW each week. That website was a must read for me after pretty much every episode of LOST back in the day.

That interview also answered my questions about the connection to he previous Westworld incarnations and the one about Maeve having control over the butcher boys. Apparently next episode will shed light on that. 

6 hours ago, Ser Quork said:

I guess we as sentient beings can't make ourselves cleverer or change our personality just because we are aware of it either. Unless you take on a mindfulness course/therapy. I'm sure a lot of people would like to get the same results as easily as Maeve just did!

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

No. They just stuck it in as a nod.

Plus, he was pretty badly damaged by the end of the film. You'd think they'd decomission the model after that. It's a nice easter egg though.

12 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I kinda love the idea of the film being HBO Canon and the critical failure from thirty years ago in the show being the events of the movie. But I doubt it :(

My main issue with the film being canon is I do not understand how the park will survive.  

On a quick side though I think I am wrong since no one appear to mention it I thought Dolores pose after she shot down the Confederati was similar to Yul Brynner.

I don't know actually...she doesn't have a hugely iconic look. If you have watched the show you'll likely know or guess but as of yet she hasn't had a proper ideal costume for cosplay. I mean the blue dress is lovely but to get it right would be kinda expensive I guess. I would love to see Westworld costumes/cosplays though. Hector and Snake Lady are ideal candidates for that. 

1 minute ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I don't know actually...she doesn't have a hugely iconic look. If you have watched the show you'll likely know or guess but as of yet she hasn't had a proper ideal costume for cosplay. I mean the blue dress is lovely but to get it right would be kinda expensive I guess. I would love to see Westworld costumes/cosplays though. Hector and Snake Lady are ideal candidates for that. 

I prefer bandit Delores .  You're going to see a lot of douchey bros/lads and their girlfriends dressed up like that. 

Yeah but it's not hugely iconic. That's what I meant. It's a cowboy hat, a white shirt and trousers. People who are aware of the show and have watched it might get it but I don't think it's the best costume in the show in terms of instant recognition. Snake Lady and Hector would be a lot better. But you might be right! People might try it! I don't know to popular Westworld actually is though? I've met loads of people who, surprisingly to me at the time, didn't actually know what it was at all, had never heard of it. 

Archived