HBO's Westworld(v3)- The man in black fled across the desert, and we all followed. [spoilers]

Ramsay B.

2 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

so MiB is obviously the enemy of Ford and Ford is looking to be shaping up as a sinister villain right? so what does that make MiB ....??? and NOT william 

They're all assholes.

Though, I admit, I'm a bit thrown by the way ford is definitely hurtling towards villaindom, given his status as "genius being bothered by corporate soul-suckers" :P

2 hours ago, Ariadne23 said:

If we take him at his word, MiB wants to set the hosts free and is willing to get his hands dirty to do it. He's an antihero. Westerns arguably invented the type, so I guess it's appropriate.

I think he only wants to do that so he can have a "Real"(tm) game and feel the chance of death. Not sure that makes him good.

I doubt it will be explored in the first season, but I feel like the reaction of...can't even remember her name, the corporate boss...in that conversation with Ford suggests that neural interface with the hosts is not common technology. I suspect that it will play a role in the overarching plot in subsequent seasons, along with whatever other tech developments corporate is trying to get out of the park (eg immortality tech perhaps).

2 hours ago, Castel said:

I think he only wants to do that so he can have a "Real"(tm) game and feel the chance of death. Not sure that makes him good.

Yeah. It's almost like he's just bored with what the park can offer and needs to feel some real danger so he's coming up with this wild plan.

I think MiB is another "villain" with the hosts caught in the middle as our protagonists.

I do wonder whether MiB is simply wanting a real game or if he has plans beyond that. It seems like he works in the medical field so I do wonder if he's curious about putting human consciousness into hosts as a cure for everything? But that doesn't seem to fit with the idea of setting the hosts free - unless his logic is the hosts have to be truly "alive" for him to find ways to put genuine human conscious in there.

I don't get a military vibe off him but I'd be amazed if there wasn't anyone wanting to use hosts as weapons. Although maybe this society is beyond traditional war now?

I don't think there's room for it this season but I'd certainly like to see more of the world beyond westworld in a future season. I guess host out in the real world is always a potential future storyline.

5 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Ok, sorry for being so dense, but what makes bringing the bird back to life so special, then? Wouldn't they do the same with animals as the do with the AI's? Or, is it because he was messing around with the coding? And I guess that's what Maueve wants him to do to her to?

Yeah, he is just a "butcher" and isn't supposed to have that control unit he is using, plus he isn't a coder so he is just tinkering with it. The dangerous part is that with the control unit he can load abilities to a host or disable certain restrictions, like I don't know, don't kill guests!

8 hours ago, Castel said:

For some reason I feel like MiB lost someone in the 30 years ago "issue". Maybe he was Arnolds best friend or lover or something and he believes that Arnold is still there, at the center of the maze and he is trying to get back to him? Unless the world has changed drastically in this future, there would be plenty of ways to live dangerously and cheat death other than at this park. Of course he could just be an obsessed gamer who has to find all the clues and easter eggs.

I'm sure Arnold is dead and put some level of his consciousness/code/goal into Delores at least if not more.  Him being actually alive and in the park or somewhere else would be totally lame.  There is obviously some level of misdirection going on, the question is, what is it?  Is it Bernard and his wife convo?  Is it the timeline?  Neither or both?  

I would lean toward MiB is an obsessed gamer since he said he wants a worthy adversary, I don't see his quest to be some selfless plan to liberate the hosts, but there are clearly more layers to his thinking about them and why he has committed at least some of his most savage acts.

It didnt really make sense to me why flesh robots would be cheaper than purely mechanical ones but tech is not my area.  Would 3d printing with human tissue with massive teams of robot surgeons be cheaper than replacing metal parts?

7 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Ok, sorry for being so dense, but what makes bringing the bird back to life so special, then? Wouldn't they do the same with animals as the do with the AI's? Or, is it because he was messing around with the coding? And I guess that's what Maueve wants him to do to her to?

It hasn't been shown yet why it was significant, so hopefully we find out next week.  But I think you're on the right path.  The guy was messing with the code, and obviously hit on something since the bird went straight to Maeve and she tells him "it's time we had a chat".  I think he freed the bird from it's loop, and that caught Maeve's attention.  Except I think that was Arnold who was talking through Maeve's body there and he can either move his consciousness from host to host, or kind of exists in at least some of them simultaneously, but the host has to be set free before he can come to the surface.

Archived