Will the greyscale have any impact on the story ?

LordImp

Jon Connington is infected with greyscale , will this be any important in the upcoming books ? 

Jon Connington might infect others with greyscale and then starts a greyscale plague in Westeros , but is there time for a large greyscale epidemi? There is a lot of storylines that have been builded up and wich will be a big part of TWOW. So is a greyscale epidemi in Westeros likely to happen ? Why would GRRM give JonCon greyscale if it wil not be of any importance? 

Is a greyscale infected Aegon the Stone dragon ? 

I personally would like a greyscale epidemi , but i'm not sure if its room for it . 

20 minutes ago, LordImp said:

Jon Connington is infected with greyscale , will this be any important in the upcoming books ? 

Why would GRRM give JonCon greyscale if it wil not be of any importance? 

Is a greyscale infected Aegon the Stone dragon ? 

I personally would like a greyscale epidemi , but i'm not sure if its room for it . 

It could have two distinct importances:

1. A personal importance for Jon Connigton. When you know that your time is running out it will affect the way you act. In the case of Jon Connigton this was already the case, he supports Aegons (tyrions) plan to strike west instead of east partially because he fears that he's running out of time.

2. It could lead to an epidemic. The story grows with time so the room will be there if GRRM wants it. We don't know how fast such an epidemic could spread, it could go very fast, similar to the bloody flux in slaver's bay. Shireen has had geryscale as well and Val thinks that it isn't curable, if she's right there might be another possibility of spreading the disease, or another Stone Dragon (since Shireen is partially Targ and lived on Dragonstone).

It already has importance on a personal level IMHO.

45 minutes ago, LordImp said:

Why would GRRM give JonCon greyscale if it wil not be of any importance?

It will have importantce, but not in itself but in how JonCon will react to it.

It will act as a personal stress factor for Jon, forcing him to take risks and be much more ruthless- partly because of his "lessons" from Tywin about being more brutal and partly because of his greyscale. After all - the disease will kill him sooner or later and therefore forcing him to do things he might not normally have done.

We are talking brutal shortcuts in order to place Aegon on the throne, brutal executions of Reachlords including Mace, the death of Tommen, several warcrimes and in general act so violent that people will flock to the banners of whoever who opposes him.

50 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

I think it will cause Jon Con to become an impatient man.  I don't see an epidemic but I see his case affecting the Dorne and fAegon. 

Doran stayed so long out of the war to save his people, for them to be destroyed by Greyscale would be darkly ironic.

Yes.

Greyscale will be sexually transmitted from JC to Euron, JC -> Sand ->Arianne -> Euron. Greyscale afflicted Euron will second life Drogon, becoming the stone beast. The stone beast will breathe an infectious greyscale and infect a large amount of the realm's population, particularly through rats and by fouling the trident.

Greyscale will prove an effective weapon against the Others, and some people will make the sacrifice of purposely infecting themselves with greyscale to fight the Others. But the greyscale will have the side effect of preventing all live births, thus it is just another alternate path to human extinction on Westeros and no real saviour.

Dany will wake the dragon from stone when she second lifes the stone beast Drogon has become, and expels Euron's presence within it and restores it to a dragon, a dragon that will be in size and nature like Baelerion. As greyscale is a magical curse, Garin's curse, when Dany destroys the source, that is the stone beast and greyscale infected Euron within it, the curse will be lifted, and everyone afflicted by this greyscale strain will be cured.

It will be of particular consequence as at least one of our heroes, Arya, will be pregnant and have greyscale, and so be doomed to bring forth a dead child until Dany embraces the fire.

Bloodraven will be driving force behind the greyscale. If it's been his ruthless plan all along or just the indirect consequence of his ruthless attempts to destroy the blackfyre line I am not sure. But he will warg the rats and spread the greyscale, for the purpose of fighting the Others. He previously mass warged diseased rats during the Great Spring Sickness. And he either skinchanged rats to spread greyscale and kill Serra or saw and took notes from that event. He was responsible for the bridge of dreams, an attempt to kill Aegon, which ultimately caused JC to contract greyscale.

Thus BR is the true meaning behind the Rat King story, he can not let go his grudge and broke guest's rights when he murdered Aenys, the consequence of his actions will be the death of innocent children. Some other foreshadowing includes Asshai and it's lack of children for Westeros come the greyscale epidemic that will end the birthing of children of Westeros. The ratmen devouring the Westeros women in Dany's HOTU vision are symbolic of greyscaled rats destroying Westeros. The third head being responsible for rebirth and Benerro declaring all who fight and die in Dany's name will be reborn refers to Dany curing greyscale. Because the greyscale the stone dragon spreads will help fight against the Others it is a false saviour like Aegon and Stannis, a false lightbringer, and a lie Dany must slay.

12 hours ago, Protagoras said:

It will have importantce, but not in itself but in how JonCon will react to it.

It will act as a personal stress factor for Jon, forcing him to take risks and be much more ruthless- partly because of his "lessons" from Tywin about being more brutal and partly because of his greyscale. After all - the disease will kill him sooner or later and therefore forcing him to do things he might not normally have done.

We are talking brutal shortcuts in order to place Aegon on the throne, brutal executions of Reachlords including Mace, the death of Tommen, several warcrimes and in general act so violent that people will flock to the banners of whoever who opposes him.

@Protagoras I couldn't have said it better myself.

Yes, Jon Connington is a man with limited time and his past mercy haunting him, so this time, he will be far more ruthless and brutal, possibly desregarding some of the most valued rules of chivarly and general condact, like executing hostage fellow lords and knights, massacres of defenceless innocents and , almost certainly, disregarding Guest Right.

@Bironic,as for the greyscale epidemic, I don't think Connington would be foolish enough to start touching people around willy nilly and jeopardize his last chance of redemption, particularly with (f)Aefon. 

Also, greyscale is not foreign to Westeros at all, in fact we know of multiple patients. I will grant you, since it appears to occur in cold and wet climates, the Stormlands sound like the ideal breeding ground for a pandemic. However, since we have no such record of such an epidemic happening in the past, I think it is rather unlikely. 

Things would be different if it turns to grey plague though. Or if Danny's army lands and brings the Plae Mare with it. Then yes, unless snow falls everywhere and slows the sickness from spreading, you will get a Black Death in no time.

22 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Of course, the fact that Greyscale was...

Reveal hidden contents

retained in the Show, despite neither Connington nor Aegon even existing,

...strongly implies that Greyscale will have an impact quite apart from how it affects Connington and Aegon's motivations.

Exactly. 

But I don't think Connington will start an epidemic, but I do think he will be reckless and use spreading greyscale to someone as a secret weapon. Maybe Cersei or someone like that. 

21 minutes ago, Lord Vance II said:

Exactly. 

But I don't think Connington will start an epidemic, but I do think he will be reckless and use spreading greyscale to someone as a secret weapon. Maybe Cersei or someone like that. 

Ohh , thats a great idea. JonCon using greyscale as a weapon , i love that ! 

3 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Hide contents

...strongly implies that Greyscale will have an impact quite apart from how it affects Connington and Aegon's motivations.

You assume that the showrunners aren't hell clownin'

3 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Reveal hidden contents

Noooo, pleeease, I love your posts and hate to see you bring that garbage into the discussions:bawl:

I think in the north, yes, it could very well be an issue. Greyscale loves cold and damp. The north is cold and if that wall falls/melts/whatever, bring on the damp with it! Shireen, while immune now herself, could still be a carrier of that or Grey Plague. Val warned Jon, but Jon hasn't quite listened yet.

Just ask a woods witch if you want to know the truth ;)

Tyrion I think will be a false flag, that seems pretty clear :cool4:.

Jon Con could be an issue. He is a little disgruntled about how some things in the past worked out, being exiled and fake drunk-deathed and all :dunno:  I kinda like the idea mentioned that he could use it as biological warfare (in a stressful way). I just hope if it is done, then it makes sense and is not rushed because of the story being in the third act by the time it starts up.

Well, Jon Connington is infected and currently winter has come to Westeros. The entire Westeros would be cold and damp, not limited to just the North. I think greyscale will become such a huge pandemic that a lot of Aegon's camp as well as people in KL will be infected, just to add more misery while they're already starved, before Daenerys arrive to burn them. Those survivings will just become stonemen to terrorize more people, and when the Wall falls those who died will become stone wights, even more troublesome to deal with than ordinary wights.

On 11/4/2016 at 3:41 PM, The Fattest Leech said:

I think in the north, yes, it could very well be an issue. Greyscale loves cold and damp. The north is cold and if that wall falls/melts/whatever, bring on the damp with it! Shireen, while immune now herself, could still be a carrier of that or Grey Plague. Val warned Jon, but Jon hasn't quite listened yet.

If the North is afflicted by greyscale I don't see Shireen being responsible - in this scenario I think it more likely that she would be burned needlessly under the mistaken belief that she is the source of the epidemic

22 minutes ago, Jaehaerys Tyrell said:

If the North is afflicted by greyscale I don't see Shireen being responsible - in this scenario I think it more likely that she would be burned needlessly under the mistaken belief that she is the source of the epidemic

Ok. I'm open to other reasonable options. What did you have in mind? 

I'm thinking Euron is a prime suspect. He might have sailed the smoking sea, and seen Valyria, collected his warlocks and warlock wine, but the plunder he gave freely to his ironborn comes from places far from it  -  from Ib, and the far north of Westros, from Dothraki who have never seen the sea, via either great fresh-water lakes accessible from the far North of Essos, and known to no mariner before him, or from the eastern side of the Rhoyne.

Above all, he has plundered Chroyane of the Sorrows (and also, the pirates of Dagger Lake are very probably in his thrall). He got his Valyrian sphinxes either there or higher up the Rhoyne. Tyrion might have been the last person to see the white sphinxes of Ghoyan Drohe, while they were in the process of being plundered into his ships. From there, Euron has gone North,  as far north as we know (I'm thinking shivering sea and the screaming caves and extremely creepy fogs of Hardhome, although I'm not exactly sure how he got from the little Rhoyne to there - unless he somehow persuaded a passing khalasar of Dothraki to drag his boats overland in the hills somewhere between Norvos and Qohor.), But he took plunder there, and knew his time to claim the seastone chair. (how he knew, I don't know, nor the route he took to it, but he did know, and the Ironborn looked, but didn't see him. Perhaps because they were looking to the Jade seas.)

As Victarion noted, his gifts are poisoned, on so many levels. The greyscale is already working its way from Hardhome, to Braavos, Lys, and Eastwatch, and Tormund, with Ser Narbert and Ser Benethon, is riding up from Castle Black to meet it, assuming it has not already been introduced to Castle Black among the treasures yielded to  Bowen Marsh (who would be a likely vector for grey scale precisely because he is auditing all the treasures - can he resist trying on shirt of silver scales, will he leave the sapphires in the hilt of their broken sword?).

ETA: Also, in real life, plague used to come in the thaw, die out in the winter, so I expect the big greyscale epidemic to come in a spring, or a false spring ... in a Dream of Spring.

15 hours ago, Walda said:

ETA: Also, in real life, plague used to come in the thaw, die out in the winter, so I expect the big greyscale epidemic to come in a spring, or a false spring ... in a Dream of Spring.

That would be a very interesting thing to happen. We all think we know how the story's going to play out - it's going to get darkest before the (war for the) dawn, then bittersweet hints of spring and a return to normality, etc. But what if he surprises us? That'd be tits

I was under the impression that the greyscale made JonCon less cautious. It seemed as though he wouldn't have entertained the idea of attacking westeros without Dany if it wasn't for his greyscale. 

Its interesting that two characters, Shireen and JonCon, have greyscale but I don't think the disease in and of itself will have any significant role to play. Just having JonCon act less conservatively is its point I believe. 

Archived