US Elections: The Last Trump

mormont

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I know it will never happen, but I would love it if Clinton turned around and publicly released ALL of these emails to show what a fucking nothing burger they are. 

Seems pointless since the issue was mostly the classified ones and those can't be shared.

2 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I know it will never happen, but I would love it if Clinton turned around and publicly released ALL of these emails to show what a fucking nothing burger they are. 

The real scandal here isn't email gate, but the inordinate amount of time this country's media has wasted on it.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Seems pointless since the issue was mostly the classified ones and those can't be shared.

We still - STILL - don't know if there was any classified info, who the mails were even sent to or what was going on. 

And there is so much false info about it that making a public, transparent statement would be exceptionally good.

14 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

If this was Trump doing the hiding would you give him the benefit of the doubt?

13 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

If this was Trump doing the hiding would you give him the benefit of the doubt?

I'm not sure what you mean. Clinton didn't hide anything, as far as I can tell. And as it turns out, per NBC almost all the emails were either duplicates of things they had or were personal. Another note says that the number of classified emails is unchanged, too. Clinton herself asserted almost immediately to simply release the emails right away. And the state department has been releasing the emails from Clinton all this time, anyway. 

They are hers (or rather, Huma's) to release. And apparently they have nothing. So yeah, I wouldn't give Trump any benefit of any doubt because he has been absurdly opaque in everything he does, and when anything is revealed it's actually pretty horrible as it turns out.

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I'm not sure what you mean.

Not saying you are one, but there are a ton of people on the left who will overlook flaws on their own side, while pointing out those same flaws on the other side. I was just wondering how you'd approach this subject if it was a Republican who was accused of hiding things.

5 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Not saying you are one, but there are a ton of people on the left who will overlook flaws on their own side, while pointing out those same flaws on the other side. I was just wondering how you'd approach this subject if it was a Republican who was accused of hiding things.

I think it's more important to me about who it is, not what their policies are. For instance, if McCain was supposedly hiding something I'd probably think he was fine and it was a big ball of nothing. If Weiner was hiding something I would think he's fucking guilty from day one and think this is a coverup. 

Clinton's biggest flaw is that she has always been overly private. It's probably warranted, but it's true. The wall street speeches are a great example of this - they barely changed any of her main support when released. They might have had an impact with Sanders, but not likely given her demographics. But she held on to them (and continues to do so). So yeah, I never thought for a second that she was deleting emails because she was guilty of anything at all; I thought she was doing it because she was private. 

And this worldview continues to be reinforced as we go through the Podesta mails, the DNC hacks, the Abedin emails, etc.

I absolutely agree that there are likely as many Dems who will overlook their politician's flaws as their are Republicans. This election, as I've said, has taught me that for the overwhelming majority of voters the only thing that matters is what party that person aligns with, and they will excuse anything their side does and vilify anything the other side does. I would like to think I'm a bit less focused on that sort of thing, in general. 

Just now, Kalbear said:

I think it's more important to me about who it is, not what their policies are. For instance, if McCain was supposedly hiding something I'd probably think he was fine and it was a big ball of nothing. If Weiner was hiding something I would think he's fucking guilty from day one and think this is a coverup. 

Clinton's biggest flaw is that she has always been overly private. It's probably warranted, but it's true. The wall street speeches are a great example of this - they barely changed any of her main support when released. They might have had an impact with Sanders, but not likely given her demographics. But she held on to them (and continues to do so). So yeah, I never thought for a second that she was deleting emails because she was guilty of anything at all; I thought she was doing it because she was private. 

And this worldview continues to be reinforced as we go through the Podesta mails, the DNC hacks, the Abedin emails, etc.

I absolutely agree that there are likely as many Dems who will overlook their politician's flaws as their are Republicans. This election, as I've said, has taught me that for the overwhelming majority of voters the only thing that matters is what party that person aligns with, and they will excuse anything their side does and vilify anything the other side does. I would like to think I'm a bit less focused on that sort of thing, in general. 

I agree with all of this. I still cant believe how firm Trump's base remains even after all the shit that's been revealed about him. At the same time, I often feel like the dems really dont want anybody to say anything bad about Hillary or even question if there is a possibility she was hiding something. I understand being against outright slander, but we as the people should at least be able to question and discuss possibilities.

2 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

I agree with all of this. I still cant believe how firm Trump's base remains even after all the shit that's been revealed about him. At the same time, I often feel like the dems really dont want anybody to say anything bad about Hillary or even question if there is a possibility she was hiding something. I understand being against outright slander, but we as the people should at least be able to question and discuss possibilities.

Oh sure. And I get that - though I think a lot of the times that's because they've seen what the BernieBros were like, and how skittish so many people are in supporting Clinton. But there are definitely some that are all 'NO NOTHING COULD EVER BE BAD EVER!'

My suspicion on this all along as I've stated was that the emails would be copies from the server or personal emails, because as Matt Yglesias said anyone with a rudimentary knowledge of how email works understands that having a copy locally and on the email server means...well, you have the server's copy and the local copy. Especially for a laptop that likely wasn't used that often and was likely used only for quickie emailing now and then. Based on that assumption I felt it was extraordinarily irresponsible by Comey to announce anything public, as the emails were almost certainly going to end up being nothing.

If, instead, it was some other source or some other potential set - like, say, the NSA got some taps or a foreign government hacked them - that'd be another matter.

2 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

So Trump will be the new Fox news, that's not that bad.

There is a signican't difference, depending on how Trump plays it.  if he loses, refuses to acknowledge the legitimacy of the election result, and creates a national platform to promulgate this idea, he could well become a significant threat to the stability of the nation.  

2 minutes ago, davos said:

There is a signican't difference, depending on how Trump plays it.  if he loses, refuses to acknowledge the legitimacy of the election result, and creates a national platform to promulgate this idea, he could well become a significant threat to the stability of the nation.  

He's already deeply disrupted the stablility of the nation and the election process.  Yet he's the symptom not the cause.  So both he and the conditions are going to intensify no matter the outcome.  He won't go away at all.  He's been urging his supporters to protest the lost rigged election for weeks.

8 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Based on that assumption I felt it was extraordinarily irresponsible by Comey to announce anything public, as the emails were almost certainly going to end up being nothing.

What I dont get is, why doesnt he just reveal what was in them?

I mean, if he's gonna make a panic about emails, doesnt he have a responsibility to back up his claim that the content was a serious national matter?

24 minutes ago, Impmk2 said:

Otoh yeah if I'm a trump aide I'm running to take away his Internet access right now.

Are you kidding me? Aside from a few hours a day to actually address rallies, they've probably got him bound in duct tape like a dwarf in Mirkwood, and locked in the head of his plane

Archived