NFL 2016 Week 9: Once You Go Dak, You Never Go Back

Manhole Eunuchsbane

2 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

While true, I'd have to ask a simple question: Why the fuck does it matter? These people are not personally

It sucks to contribute to their bottom line? I don't buy merch anymore, don't do fantasy football, and barely watch games, but it still rankles my conscience to support awful people.

Then again, I pay taxes, which go to horrible things sometimes, so... 

1 minute ago, DanteGabriel said:

It sucks to contribute to their bottom line? I don't buy merch anymore, don't do fantasy football, and barely watch games, but it still rankles my conscience to support awful people.

Then again, I pay taxes, which go to horrible things sometimes, so... 

Sorry, I fat fingered my keyboard and it posted before I could finish. Essentially, I was going towards the same point as you. Most of the places where we spend our money are probably owned, operated or staffed at some level by a complete shitwad(s). There's really no escaping it, so I try not to let it bother me. As for the voting, Brady and Darth Hoodie are free to vote/support whoever they want, same as anyone else in America. People may not like their decisions, but really, why the fuck does anyone care who NFL players vote for?

8 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

Sorry, I fat fingered my keyboard and it posted before I could finish. Essentially, I was going towards the same point as you. Most of the places where we spend our money are probably owned, operated or staffed at some level by a complete shitwad(s). There's really no escaping it, so I try not to let it bother me. As for the voting, Brady and Darth Hoodie are free to vote/support whoever they want, same as anyone else in America. People may not like their decisions, but really, why the fuck does anyone care who NFL players vote for?

It's true, I can't step sideways without somehow contributing to the bottom line of some fucking conspiracy of greedheads like Nestle or Citibank. But sports fandom is a place where I do have some control over my behavior and purchasing decisions.

I don't care who they vote for, but I hate that Trumplestiltskin was able to claim their support, apparently with some credibility. Just keep that shit private and make my ignorance a little easier to maintain.

Also, if they were voting for and sending nice notes to Kasich or Rubio or possibly even Ted Cruz, I don't think I'd care much, because again, I know well that NFL players, coaches, and owners are frequently right wing assholes, but Trump is a different kind of creature.

3 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I don't care who they vote for, but I hate that Trumplestiltskin was able to claim their support, apparently with some credibility. Just keep that shit private and make my ignorance a little easier to maintain.

Man, I'd love to be able to have a just a little ignorance in this day and age. :cheers:

48 minutes ago, Joe Pesci said:

As for the voting, Brady and Darth Hoodie are free to vote/support whoever they want, same as anyone else in America. People may not like their decisions, but really, why the fuck does anyone care who NFL players vote for?

Normally I would completely agree with you. It really is nobody's business but the person casting the vote, and I try to hold myself to that whenever possible. Thing is with this election, it's gotten really hard for me to police myself in that regard. In my mind Trump is (by a huge degree) the worst, most dangerous candidate I've seen in my lifetime. It's not even close. And his act is so painfully transparent I can't for the life of me understand how a reasonably intelligent person could possibly fall for it. It's impossible for me not to judge a Trump supporter. 

10 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Normally I would completely agree with you. It really is nobody's business but the person casting the vote, and I try to hold myself to that whenever possible. Thing is with this election, it's gotten really hard for me to police myself in that regard. In my mind Trump is (by a huge degree) the worst, most dangerous candidate I've seen in my lifetime. It's not even close. And his act is so painfully transparent I can't for the life of me understand how a reasonably intelligent person could possibly fall for it. It's impossible for me not to judge a Trump supporter. 

Kind of in the same boat. His bigotry had been expressed so often and so openly that any Trump supporter must consciously be deciding that they're at least ok with bigotry if it aligns with their interests. There's just no getting around that.

44 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It's impossible for me not to judge a Trump supporter. 

Seriously. Most elections I wouldn't even care but I just can't help but lose some respect for people who come out of the Trump closet, especially if it's someone who I thought was an intelligent, competent person. Probably why I was weirdly disappointed upon hearing that Belichick supports Trump, if that's to be believed. 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

So, while I agree, one of the reasons I hate this race is that it has moralized the election.  If you vote for HRC, you endorse lying, fraud and dishonesty; if you vote for Trump you endorse racism and misogyny.  And while I agree more with the latter than the former, its this "othering" of the election that really aggravates me.  And its making moral judgments that say "If you vote for X you are 'bad' and if you support Y you are 'good' and HEAVEN FORBID you say you want to vote for alt-X or alt-Y! 

Don't get me wrong- I think that more bad people will vote for Trump than will vote for HRC (at least pro-rated), but I don't think that if you vote for Trump you are, defacto, a bad person.  

And I don't like what this all implies.  If I discover tomorrow that my dad voted for Trump... do I not allow him in my home? If I find out a client of mine voted Trump should I cut them off?  Should I not accept referrals from Trump supporters?  I find all of that a little too "One-Party-State-ish" for me.  It sounds like something you would discover happened in "Elections" from 1952 Poland or something.  

Just now, Rockroi said:

Don't get me wrong- I think that more bad people will vote for Trump than will vote for HRC (at least pro-rated), but I don't think that if you vote for Trump you are, defacto, a bad person.  

And I don't like what this all implies.  If I discover tomorrow that my dad voted for Trump... do I not allow him in my home? If I find out a client of mine voted Trump should I cut them off?  Should I not accept referrals from Trump supporters?  I find all of that a little too "One-Party-State-ish" for me.  It sounds like something you would discover happened in "Elections" from 1952 Poland or something.  

I agree. Not a bad person necessarily, but I have trouble classifying that person as being intelligent in any sort of meaningful way. I hate thinking that way. Who am I to judge? But here I am.

And no, I wouldn't judge that person in any significant way (not allow them in my home, or not do business with them, etc) but I would have trouble respecting them. 

Just now, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I agree. Not a bad person necessarily, but I have trouble classifying that person as being intelligent in any sort of meaningful way. I hate thinking that way. Who am I to judge? But here I am.

And no, I wouldn't judge that person in any significant way (not allow them in my home, or not do business with them, etc) but I would have trouble respecting them. 

... yup... 

I'm still convinced Trump is a Clinton plant and one of the reasons we haven't seen his tax returns is because no one wants to see how much he gave to the Clinton Foundation...

Other than that, I have no way to reconcile the fact that every time the polls got close he somehow manages to make himself look even worse by attacking a new woman/minority/grieving family.

:leaving: 

6 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I'm still convinced Trump is a Clinton plant and one of the reasons we haven't seen his tax returns is because no one wants to see how much he gave to the Clinton Foundation...

Other than that, I have no way to reconcile the fact that every time the polls got close he somehow manages to make himself look even worse by attacking a new woman/minority/grieving family.

:leaving: 

Wasn't Trump a life long democrat? And he was great friends with the Clinton's, went to their wedding and stuff. So i really wouldn't be surprised. 

Also, fuck him. 

And Trump wins. Since this is a NFL thread let's put it back to the thread topic.

Should the NFL be scared? Trump wanted to beat the NFL badly so much so that he helped create a rival. Trump seems to me like someone who holds a grudge!

BTW, I say most of that in jest, just wanted to get back the NFL.

Belichick explains Trump letter. Not political, he says. Says "he's just a friend". Biz Markee not available for comment.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/09/belichick-trump-letter-was-about-friendship-not-politics/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

37 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Belichick explains Trump letter. Not political, he says. Says "he's just a friend". Biz Markee not available for comment.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/11/09/belichick-trump-letter-was-about-friendship-not-politics/?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Everytime that I called him it seemed somethin' was brewin'
I called his room a Trump picked up, and then I called again
I said, "Yo, who was that?" "Oh, he's just a friend"
Don't gimme that, don't ever gimme that

3 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Everytime that I called him it seemed somethin' was brewin'
I called his room a Trump picked up, and then I called again
I said, "Yo, who was that?" "Oh, he's just a friend"
Don't gimme that, don't ever gimme that

Oh Trumpy, YOOOOOOUUUU

You gots what I needs

To make america great again