NFL 2016 Week 9: Once You Go Dak, You Never Go Back

Manhole Eunuchsbane

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Are y'all leaving Newton out as oversight or in deliberation?

I left off Cam off because I wasn't sure how to rank him. Last year he was definitely a top 3 QB. This year, for whatever reason whether bad O-line or injuries or whatever, he's been like league average. So is last year the fluke or this one? Can make a case either way. Where do you rate him?  

I watched every attempt of Scot Tolzein's NFL career and assigned him a grade of competency. I then watched entire games of Tom Brady, Andrew Luck, Brock Osweiler, and Andy Dalton in an attempt to assign a scale.

My results: Tolzein might get the job done against the Stealers if VD can use his gifts on Antonio Brown, but I will not be starting him in place of Sammy Bradford in Experts.

Also, it is really fucking hard to come up with a good scale for QB's. At first I simply gave a + for not fucking up the play, a - for fucking it up, a squiggle for inconclusive, an abysmal for doing something ruinous, and a great for an outstanding effort. My data was... confused.

I think a better method would be grading every play as -5 to +5, but I do not want to go back and review all of that film again.

Last second Lions do it again.  I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, but so far it hasn't.  Enjoying 1st place in the North for as long as they have it.

Also, Dak and Zeke together are scary good.  Especially behind that offensive line.  I am not looking forward to the Lions being run over by them in a few weeks.

Skins looked good today, although we have some serious secondary issues (on an already bad pass defense)....but it felt good to see the sweep happen. 10 in a row with 2 rookies doing it all. Incredible. 

Probably won't go far in the playoffs with that defense, but damn i'm excited for the Cowboys future. Go all out defense in FA and draft, maybe get another receiver because i don't think we re-sign Williams, and damn next year is looking good. 

7 hours ago, TickleMyToes said:

Skins looked good today, although we have some serious secondary issues (on an already bad pass defense)....but it felt good to see the sweep happen. 10 in a row with 2 rookies doing it all. Incredible. 

Probably won't go far in the playoffs with that defense, but damn i'm excited for the Cowboys future. Go all out defense in FA and draft, maybe get another receiver because i don't think we re-sign Williams, and damn next year is looking good. 

My guess is that Brice Butler is the odds on favorite to replace Williams as the #2 receiver. He's got the size (6'3) and the speed (4.3) to be a perfect fit opposite Bryant. He's been getting more and more playing time and has made some big catches this year. The only thing Williams has over him is that incredible sideline footwork. Williams did the same things 2 years ago against the Seahawks that probably won the game for Dallas.Though you may be right about drafting a receiver though unless one drops that they have high on their board, they probably wait to the mid-rounds. As you said, they have defensive needs and the lack of one dominant pass rusher might be what keeps them from winning a Super Bowl THIS year. 

And yeah, Washington is VERY dangerous team. They have a QB and a receiver corp that is clicking on all cylinders. Both Dallas and Washington are better teams now than they were when they met in week 2 The entire division has improved dramatically from last year. No more of this "NFC Least" stuff.

10 hours ago, TickleMyToes said:

Kinda same feeling as you. I see them doing better in playoffs next year but who knows? Definitely need to go all in on Def in the next draft.

I just caught up with the Dallas-Washington game. Both teams looked decent but I have to say I was most impressed by Reed playing a significant proportion of the game with a sprained AC joint, that hurts like a bastard. Either he's a very tough guy or they've got some high quality pain killers on the Redskins sideline.

2 hours ago, Trebla said:

My guess is that Brice Butler is the odds on favorite to replace Williams as the #2 receiver. He's got the size (6'3) and the speed (4.3) to be a perfect fit opposite Bryant. He's been getting more and more playing time and has made some big catches this year. The only thing Williams has over him is that incredible sideline footwork. Williams did the same things 2 years ago against the Seahawks that probably won the game for Dallas.Though you may be right about drafting a receiver though unless one drops that they have high on their board, they probably wait to the mid-rounds. As you said, they have defensive needs and the lack of one dominant pass rusher might be what keeps them from winning a Super Bowl THIS year. 

And yeah, Washington is VERY dangerous team. They have a QB and a receiver corp that is clicking on all cylinders. Both Dallas and Washington are better teams now than they were when they met in week 2 The entire division has improved dramatically from last year. No more of this "NFC Least" stuff.

Yeah, some times Butler shows promise...other times he drops easy catches. He has the size and speed though, if we can get it all together....But yeah, when i mentioned WR, i meant more cheap FA pick up or middle rounds in the draft (4-5-6). The rest? All defense. I want an entire defensive draft, basically. 

14 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Kinda same feeling as you. I see them doing better in playoffs next year but who knows? Definitely need to go all in on Def in the next draft.

Yeah, never know for real. If Claiborne and Church can come back, or at least Claiborne, before playoffs....could be much better. 

But, i won't hold out too much hope, next year though? I except a superbowl appearance if we improve defense.

20 hours ago, TickleMyToes said:

"Jerry Jones on Dak running: "When he puts that stiff-arm [out] you quit worrying about him a little bit. He’s the daddy when he does that." "

Another classic Jerry quote. Right up there with glory hole and bubble butt. 

I just puked a little in my mouth. 

20 hours ago, TickleMyToes said:

"Jerry Jones on Dak running: "When he puts that stiff-arm [out] you quit worrying about him a little bit. He’s the daddy when he does that." "

Another classic Jerry quote. Right up there with glory hole and bubble butt. 

No one Fists like Dak Prescott.

LA was down 14 @ New Orleans and had a 4th and 1 from around midfield and 7 minutes to go in the game, and Goff had actually been doing stuff.  Fischer elected to punt.  

Archived