Question For Sewing Machine Experts

Robin Of House Hill

My better half's sewing machine is getting to the end of its days, after a long happy life, and she is looking into replacing it.  She is looking for a machine that has all the useful stitches, rather than a million that never get used.  She does  general sewing, creation of  clothes, costumes, and quilting.  Reliability and serviceability are a must.  Let's try to keep the cost below a grand.

All suggestions are welcome.

I am not an expert.  I have a Brother LX3125 specifically because a friend of mine recommended it by name and model number.  He is a fashion designer and uses his machine much more than I ought to and he said, "get one of these.  When it wears out, get another one."

If your price ceiling is $1000 I'm betting that you will want something higher quality than $100 so take my advice for what it is worth.  An appropriate question to ask oneself would be, "how long might it take me to wreck 10 cheap machines?"

OK -- going to copy/paste the responses I've gotten so far:

I have a Brother Project Runway Edition (don't judge! It was on sale!) and I love it. It was under $200 on Amazon, does everything I need it to and more, and Brother has good customer service, unlike Singer nowadays. But if she wants to test drive some machines, and she is in the city, City Quilter has a selection of machines at a range of prices, and they offer repair services too, I think.

I also seriously rate a Brother with a warranty.

I was gonna say that I got a really nice Brother machine from Walmart that was like $150

I got mine at Costco. Check for floor models at JoAnn's.

Janome machines are great work horses. You can find a good general model for $500 or less. (according to mom). Mom makes quilts. Lots of them. Constantly... She has an upper end Janome machine but started smaller. She swears by them and suggested CL to find a gently used one.

I have and love this one:
http://www.sewingmachinesplus.com/babylock-anna.php
It has the feel of an old Singer, not a lot of fancy stitches, but a workhorse. Im a professional costume designer and use mine for hours daily on a variety of crazy costume fabrics. It's only around $150 too, so even if you replace it every few years, you are way ahead of the game I like it more than my expensive Janome. It's available at the sewing store on Jefferson highway where they also do repairs.

Baby lock is a great brand.

"I'd go with a Bernina..starters have just the basic stitched needed, but it's a high quality machine. It will give her another long happy life :) If she wants more bang for her buck then pick a BabyLock."

The Sweethome has separate reviews of beginner and intermediate machines. I was vaguely thinking of getting one and then just today a friend said she would give me her old one for free!http://thesweethome.com/.../best-intermediate-sewing.../

The long version?

http://sewing.bovil.com/articles/sewing-machine-guide

The short version? A Viking Colormatic, Bernina Record or Pfaff from the mid to late 70's.

An Elna Supermatic or SU from the same period would be excellent too. But the "Air Electronic" models are a smidge fussy, I would avoid them.

I absolutely love my Janome HD3000. Very burley for gear repairs but gentle enough for delicate fabrics.

I have one that is lovely, but it might be too basic as I've only just started. My mother-in-law has been persuaded to get one though and she's being sewing for years. http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US/Machines/H-CLASS-E20

Many years ago I worked in the garment industry and Brother sewing machines seemed to dominate the market then. With the demise of the industry I imagine you could pick up a decent used one for a relatively cheap  price. These machines were designed  to work day in, day out, all day. Hope this helps. 

Archived