US Election 2016: the fall of the American republic

Kalbear

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I just saw that!  Has that ever happened ever? That one of the candidates was booed at their own polling place?  We hate this guy, just the way New Jersey hates Chris Christie, the orange's transition team manage.

Oh man do we fucking despise chris christie here. I know some people that were contemplating voting Trump until Christie endorsed him. Then they were pretty much like nope fuck Trump. Then all the shit about Trump came out the last few months and they were like well he is a shit as a Christie endorsement suggested.

Clinton takes Florida, Trump NC, Clinton hangs on to the rest of her firewall (including Maine-2) plus Nevada.  Washington state faithless elector votes for someone else.

Clinton 307, Trump 230, Random other 1

I've got it a tie - 269 to 269. This results in complete chaos and drama for the next three months similar to Bush-Gore. Not sure how many of you were on this board during the 2000 election (probably not many) but I remember it very clearly. It was something else. Blew up the GenChat section like a nuclear bomb! 

All joking aside, it's actually not that unrealistic to see if come out like this. Trump needs to win NH, NC, OH, IA and FL. Everything would need to go right for him if that were to happen but stranger things have happened in politics. 

2 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I thought that if you were in line when polls close, they have to let you vote? Or is that only on election day?

Yep, they let you vote. Trump is just being a vexatious/frivolous litigant, the sort that Republican politicians claim they hate but are now backing for president.

1 minute ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I thought that if you were in line when polls close, they have to let you vote? Or is that only on election day?

They do; at least in most states, including Nevada. Its a completely frivolous lawsuit and will be tossed the moment its actually in a court. 

Could be that Trump is hoping to intimidate Registrars into breaking the law today and not keeping polls open (though most won't even hear this news until tomorrow at the earliest), or its just Trump having a hissy fit and ordering his lawyers to do stuff against their own advice.

2 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

Yes, they do. Trumpites in Nevada have claimed that buses full of voters arrived at the end of the line AFTER the closing time. Personally I doubt this is true and it's their paranoia coming out, but they would have to prove that for a lawsuit to succeed. 

6 minutes ago, Mexal said:

And so it beings... god forbid Americans actually vote!

Just a guess but do they understand about the world being round and thus having time zones? When the polls close in New York,  Nevada has them open still.

Just now, maarsen said:

Just a guess but do they understand about the world being round and thus having time zones? When the polls close in New York,  Nevada has them open still.

This has to do with a Nevada Hispanic grocery store that stayed open a few hours longer because there were a lot of people in line trying to vote. Has nothing to do with time zones.

Voted around 10:30. I live walking distance from my polling place for the first time, which is nice (especially since when I got home I called AAA for a replacement car battery). Maryland doesn't do computerized ballots anymore, just paper with scantron; no wait at all to fill out my ballot, but maybe 5-10 minutes wait to scan my ballot. Which doesn't sound like much, but I've never had to wait at all before, and this is well into regular working hours.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

This has to do with a Nevada Hispanic grocery store that stayed open a few hours longer because there were a lot of people in line trying to vote. Has nothing to do with time zones.

Reminder to self. No more satire.

7 minutes ago, Inigima said:

Voted around 10:30. I live walking distance from my polling place for the first time, which is nice (especially since when I got home I called AAA for a replacement car battery). Maryland doesn't do computerized ballots anymore, just paper with scantron; no wait at all to fill out my ballot, but maybe 5-10 minutes wait to scan my ballot. Which doesn't sound like much, but I've never had to wait at all before, and this is well into regular working hours.

I'm a bit confused by this. Why must you wait to have your ballot scanned? In Nebraska after we fill out our "fill in the little oval with the number 2 pencil" ballots we just turn them in to the poll worker who puts them in a box, where they will be later transported to a central location to be run through the scanning system to count. We don't have to wait around to have them immediately scanned. 

6 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I'm a bit confused by this. Why must you wait to have your ballot scanned? In Nebraska after we fill out our "fill in the little oval with the number 2 pencil" ballots we just turn them in to the poll worker who puts them in a box, where they will be later transported to a central location to be run through the scanning system to count. We don't have to wait around to have them immediately scanned. 

Its the same in Virginia. After filling out the ballot we put it into the scantron ourselves. I guess its to assuage voters who might be concerned about the ballot getting lost before its counted.

7 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I'm in California, voted at 7 am this morning and my polling place does the same as Inigima.  You fill out your paper ballot filling in your ovals, and then hand it to a volunteer who immediately runs it through a scanner and then puts the scanned ballot into a box.  Just the way it's set up.

4 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

If Clinton wins, and I think she will, I’m wondering what lame ass excuses we’ll hear from the Republican Party at the end of the week for Chump’s loss.

1. Voter Fraud?

2. Wasn’t conservative enough?

Whatever the excuse, I’m sure it will be eye rolling hilarious.

3 hours ago, Nasty LongRider said:

3.  This is what happens, America, when you let the nasty women vote! 

4. Trump lost because, at the very end, he stopped doing the thing that had gotten him this far: using his direct line to the people (i.e. twitter) to keep their fear/anger/misogyny/racism/homophobia/xenophobia ginned up. 

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

Is he watching to make sure Melania fills in what he thinks she should?  Or...is he cribbing off her?  Could this be a bit more support for Samantha Bee's joking (but maybe not) contention that he actually can't read?  

1 minute ago, Prince of the North said:

Is he watching to make sure Melania fills in what he thinks she should?  Or...is he cribbing off her?  Could this be a bit more support for Samantha Bee's joking (but maybe not) contention that he actually can't read?  

Like father, like son.

1 hour ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Silver is overcompensating very hard after failing to call Trump winning the primary. He's basically pushing his model to always predict the best case for Trump/worst case for Clinton.

I gave my numbers prediction on a prior page, here's my 270 to win map, with my expectation of (roughly) the results I'm expecting.

Basically the map I am expecting. I'd expect any deviations to be in favour of Clinton.

Archived