US Election 2016: the fall of the American republic

Kalbear

21 minutes ago, Fez said:

Like father, like son.

Are not votes meant to be secret?   over on this side of the Atlantic you can't see what boxes the person next you is putting their X in.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/4/23/1429790488435/Voters-in-polling-booth-011.jpg

I would think it's illegal to sneak a peek at someone's ballot. It's basically intimidating someone into voting how they want. I imagine they would have to make the complaint though.

Hilarious that multiple Trumps did it.

1 hour ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Yep, they let you vote. Trump is just being a vexatious/frivolous litigant, the sort that Republican politicians claim they hate but are now backing for president.

He's a fucking piss baby man child fuckhead. We know the republicans that back him are hypocrites, the majority of republicans are actually even the ones that told Trump to fuck off.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Yes, they do. Trumpites in Nevada have claimed that buses full of voters arrived at the end of the line AFTER the closing time. Personally I doubt this is true and it's their paranoia coming out, but they would have to prove that for a lawsuit to succeed. 

Just their paranoia and bigotry coming through. They're terrified of Trump losing. That's all this reeks of IMO.

2 minutes ago, Inigima said:

I would think it's illegal to sneak a peek at someone's ballot. It's basically intimidating someone into voting how they want. I imagine they would have to make the complaint though.

Hilarious that multiple Trumps did it.

I am pretty sure it is illegal, and not  shocker the fuck heads calling for people to do such a thing would still do it. I wonder if they can get in deep shit since that restraining order was put in place.

36 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

Are not votes meant to be secret?   over on this side of the Atlantic you can't see what boxes the person next you is putting their X in.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/4/23/1429790488435/Voters-in-polling-booth-011.jpg

In New York it is there are laws against violating someone else's polling booth privacy.

Otherwise surely you know by now that there are different systems in the US in different places. Some booths are more shielded than others.

1 hour ago, Inigima said:

Voted around 10:30. I live walking distance from my polling place for the first time, which is nice (especially since when I got home I called AAA for a replacement car battery). Maryland doesn't do computerized ballots anymore, just paper with scantron; no wait at all to fill out my ballot, but maybe 5-10 minutes wait to scan my ballot. Which doesn't sound like much, but I've never had to wait at all before, and this is well into regular working hours.

I voted about two weeks ago, had to wait about 20 min in line to get my ID checked and signature confirmed, then about 5 minutes to wait to receive my ballot, then no wait to put my ballot in the scanner.  We have three lines here you go through typically to vote.

I can't stand waiting in lines unnecessarily so I've been voting by mail since 2010. I find it odd that it isn't a more frequently used option. I know some States don't allow it unless you physically cannot make it to the polls though so that probably has something to do with it. 

8 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Is anyone following Slate's VoteCastr? It's designed to provide real-time updates to turnout and projected vote totals.

I'd ignore it. Its got some real serious problems with it (e.g. Having a projected vote total for Stein in states where she's not on the ballot and can't be written in; having incorrect voter registration numbers for key counties; and not using representative county data to model entire states). 

7 minutes ago, Maya Mia said:

I voted about two weeks ago, had to wait about 20 min in line to get my ID checked and signature confirmed, then about 5 minutes to wait to receive my ballot, then no wait to put my ballot in the scanner.  We have three lines here you go through typically to vote.

What state do you live in? Here in PA there have been many reports of poll workers asking for ID, which is illegal. 

Archived