US Election 2016: the fall of the American republic

Kalbear

7 hours ago, Fez said:

For Virginia at least (where I vote), mostly yes. Absentee ballots were up this year, but Virginia does not have no-excuse early voting, so most people still have to vote on election day.

But the fact that they changed the ballot system does make comparisons to the last presidential election invalid. It was in place already starting with the 2014 midterms though.

First time voting in Virginia.  So odd.  I was in and out in about 15 minutes, though the polling place didn't seem to be set up efficiently.  I was surprised that I had to show my idea.  Didn't expect that.

Also had to argue with my mother that early voting isn't a bad thing, though she insisted it encouraged people to try to vote multiple times..."vote early, vote often is the Illinois way" she said...

1 hour ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

What state do you live in? Here in PA there have been many reports of poll workers asking for ID, which is illegal. 

Florida - we are an ID state, but there are about 15 different forms of ID they accept.

I want to add, my sister who lives in PA, voted for the first time today, she is in her 40s.

I hope Guam's correct streak of predicting Presidential elections holds -- it's amazing what the vote spread is, if they have voted for the winning Republicans over the last 32 years!

http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-11-08/presidential-votes-are-guam-they-wont-count?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What the fuck??? And I use that word deliberately.

Oh hey, in this thread witness a guy saying that third parties are FINE finding out why people have been losing their shit

10 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I hope Guam's correct streak of predicting Presidential elections holds -- it's amazing what the vote spread is, if they have voted for the winning Republicans over the last 32 years!

http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-11-08/presidential-votes-are-guam-they-wont-count?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialFlow

From the article

“We are looking at about 55 percent voter turnout,” Maxedon says. This is a decline from previous years. In 2012, 67 percent of registered voters in Guam cast their ballots. Among the 50 states, the turnout was only 61.8 percent.

Despite the fact Guam’s votes don't officially count towards the results of the election, Guam has historically had a higher voter turnout than the mainland United States. The island is home to three US military bases and a large number of current and former service members.

If the tradition of higher voter turnout holds true this year could we be seeing a <50% turnout this time around? Interesting that Guam has a lot of military folks. So does that mean the military is perhaps breaking more for Democrats this time around than it usually does? I expect the military vote to still be majority Republican, but maybe not as much as previously.

Okay, after a quick look at 4chan/pol, I've decided to keep a browser tab open there for the rest of the night. Because apparently they're already celebrating and seem certain that Trump's gonna take it. Not fake, self-delusional certain, but empiricially certain, citing a shitload of 'unofficial exit polls' and riling each other up. And here we are, believing the exact opposite for the exact same reasons.

It's like having two Americas open in adjacent tabs. Can't wait to see how either will deal with the next 8 hours.

It's funny how there is often so much hand-wringing about how dismally low voter turnout is in the USA, and yet at nearly every turn there are high officials in every branch of government actively making decisions that act to reduce voter turnout.

I guess this is why no one has ever made a serious attempt to change the voting day to the first Saturday after the first Monday in November, and left it at Tuesday; which seems to have a quasi-religious basis to the original decision.

Archived