Jon Snow: Pre-series

Rob Storm

16 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Yeah, it seems like, with the exception of Dorne, the Northern nobility has the least inherent reticence towards bastards (e.g. Larence Snow).  If Jon is the heir to Winterfell, I think any vassal would be happy to marry their daughter to him.  Unless, of course, they have family with a close competing claim...

IIRC only the Vale lordlings were close enough in order to be considered potential heirs and I don't believe that Ned would had passed over Jon's rights to give the North to someone who isn't a Northman. Of course Robert would had legitimized Jon but I would love to see how Cat and the rest of the Tullys would had react. :devil:

6 hours ago, Jon's Queen Consort said:

IIRC only the Vale lordlings were close enough in order to be considered potential heirs and I don't believe that Ned would had passed over Jon's rights to give the North to someone who isn't a Northman.

True.  Guess what I was thinking is, all we really know is Jocelyn Stark (Rickard's aunt) married Benedict Royce and their three daughters married a Corbray, Waynwood, and (maybe) Templeton.  I think it's plausible if you go back a generation - in which there were 5 Stark sons - a few Northern vassals may have a relative that can trace their lineage to either Artos or Errold's lines (Donnor had no issue and we know what happened with Rodrik's daughters). :dunno:

But, you're right of course, Ned certainly would have preferred Jon over any of those hypotheticals.

On 9.11.2016 at 5:26 PM, The Wolves said:

So what if Ned offended them. They don't have any say on what happens in the North. 

Still, Ned himself would probably have cared about dishonoring them, just as he wasn't happy about dishonoring Cat and himself with the Jon situation. He did the latter just out of necessity.

I think GRRM intentionally described Starks' houshold as an idyllic bubble, the whole family together, enjoying the moment. IRL, Robb and probably Bran and Jon would be squires in some other Northern houses, like it was common among nobility. Sansa and Arya would likely be promised to someone already.

With 3 trueborn brothers Jon's chances to inherit something were tiny, so he wasn't considered a good match. The most likely option for Jon would be either NW or squiring by some minor house and start a career of a hedge knight. If lucky, he could become a master of arms or a captain of guards.

Archived