US Elections - Could this be an American Brexit?

zelticgar

1 minute ago, Datepalm said:

On the other hand, Trump might be just for 4 years. Brexit fallout could take decades to disentangle.

True. At the very least Trump winning plus a Republican Senate probably means a conservative Supreme Court for some time though.

Just now, Red Hermit said:

That also means they will get all the blame for what happens.

Doesn't matter. The Senators are safe for six years and the House is safe due to gerrymandering. Justices are for life, even.

Oh, and the fact that people blame the Democrats for there being too little progress on the jobs market when Republicans have been in charge of the legislative for six years in a row already suggests to me that they will face no consequences.

Or, in other words: Did GWB fucking up in Iraq matter at all in '04? Yeah, thought so.

Remarkably, as of 20 minutes ago Clinton still has a chance of winning Nebraska's second district. Though that of course would be overwhelmed by losses in Wisconsin or Michigan. And given the way everything else is going, I won't hold my breath for her winning here to really materialize.

http://www.omaha.com/news/politics/race-for-omaha-based-nd-district-s-electoral-vote-is/article_7996d7ee-a622-11e6-803f-4bfe91955ebf.html

3 minutes ago, theguyfromtheVale said:

He'll have both a Republican House as well as a Republican Senate. Oh, and due to the SC opening, he'll also have a friendly Supreme Court. There's nothing that is going to stop him.

Actually, one of the better arguments for Trump was that his personal will was more likely to be opposed by the existing governing apparatus and it would be easier to get bipartisan coalitions against him; think Gang of Eight but moreso and with less political costs.

Just now, Red Hermit said:

Try not to freak out too much people, your mental health is worth protecting.

THIS!!!!!

I need to try to listen to this myself too.

I'm watching The Daily Show for the first time in ages. It's a bit therapeutic watching the fake news people freaking out the way the regular news people probably want to but can't.

1 minute ago, illrede said:

Actually, one of the better arguments for Trump was that his personal will was more likely to be opposed by the existing governing apparatus and it would be easier to get bipartisan coalitions against him; think Gang of Eight but moreso and with less political costs.

Nonsense. The Republicans have shown that they have exactly no spine whatsoever in standing up to Trump. They had their chances during Trump's various fuckups. They didn't take them.

Just now, denstorebog said:

See, now I remember that article about how Gingrich and Giuliani were considered for a hypothetical Trump administration.

oh man, Gingrich as Secretary of State and Guiliani as head of what, the FBI, and Chris Christie as AG. 

wew

I'm reasonably confident in Michigan. Lot of votes left in Detroit, so I think this is going like Virginia did. Way closer than it should be though.

But Wisconsin, I have no idea. I don't know the state voting patterns well enough and I just don't trust the state. And Pennsylvania looks like most of Philly is already in, so its a question of holding up as the rural counties come in. Looks tough.

Fuck.

Archived