US Elections - Could this be an American Brexit?

zelticgar

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I want to believe you.  But I dont. 8 years of clawing and scratching to get out of that recession and it's going to be gone before the inauguration.  I'm not usually a gloom or doom kind of guy.  This is not something America can recover from.  This is going to be very shaky over the next four years when the only things Trump accomplishes are things that will make the lives of the people that voted for him poorer with no Healthcare, no jobs, no prospects of jobs...and the things he just cant do that these people wanted: the wall doesn't go up, the borders don't close...they won't be happy...

And they will deserve everything that happens for voting for this insulting human. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Pepper said:

So what are y'all going to do tomorrow?  Skip work?  Stay in bed?  Cry?  Get drunk?

Before this election there was an equal chance of this forum and the election threads causing me to panic or ease my nerves depending, now after tonight this is going to be the place I come to for comfort from my fellow friends in misery. :grouphug:

Otherwise I ain't going out of the house.

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Well, Trump voters, if you thought government was terrible and corrupt before, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Oh, you don't understand. Since the Orange Messiah couldn't fix government that just means that you have to do away with it! Clearly privatizing is the solution!

Just now, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I'm now wondering what the chances of a US default in the next four years now look like...

Probably a lot higher. And it won't be just a disaster for the US economy, but for the world. There is a strong case to be made that their is shortage of safe assets in the world, of which the US is a main supplier. If the safety of those assets become questioned, then all hell will probably break loose.

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

No. They will control everything. No checks or balances. There is no need to appeal to the middle anymore. We are in for a world of pain.

This is truly horrible.  I cannot believe this.  Maybe this will finally drive us to get rid of the electoral college and institute ranked voting.  Both of these can be achieved at the state level.  If we just legitimized this guy, then I fear where this country might go if we continue on this path...

2 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

So what are y'all going to do tomorrow?  Skip work?  Stay in bed?  Cry?  Get drunk?

Going to work. Going to, somehow, survive the gloating assaults of the local Trumpanistas and weep for the future.

What's the dollar doing? Joining the pound? Hey, maybe it's the end of the Anglo-Saxon global hegemony at last...

Well, I guess its done. I've got 12 hours of classes today and, er, a deadline for PhD applications for the US coming up which I was hoping to get some work in on today. Which I'm now...er...less motivated about.

2 minutes ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

I'm now wondering what the chances of a US default in the next four years now look like...

Nah, no reason to default when the Republicans control the House, the Senate and the Presidency. That's probably the one thing we've avoided. Plenty of the other ways they can fuck over the US and the world though.

You do have to wonder if this is the end of Nato though.

1 minute ago, Datepalm said:

What's the dollar doing? Joining the pound? Hey, maybe it's the end of the Anglo-Saxon global hegemony at last...

Well, I guess its done. I've got 12 hours of classes today and, er, a deadline for PhD applications for the US coming up which I was hoping to get some work in on today. Which I'm now...er...less motivated about.

I feel that as well... I am presently in graduate school in Texas. One of the other places I applied was in Canada. Perhaps I focused my attention on the wrong schools...

I was afraid this was going to happen. You people sit in here and talk to each other all day but this place has turned into an echo chamber with no diversity of thought. Hillary was such an awful candidate but everyone convinced themselves she was a lock to win. It's not over yet but it is not looking good. 

4 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

And they will deserve everything that happens for voting for this insulting human. 

Don't worry, in a few years, when shit is even worse people will come back and start talking about how it was elites this or elites that and how the poor man had no choice but to vote this or that way.

Just now, zelticgar said:

I was afraid this was going to happen. You people sit in here and talk to each other all day but this place has turned into an echo chamber with no diversity of thought. Hillary was such an awful candidate but everyone convinced themselves she was a lock to win. It's not over yet but it is not looking good. 

I thought it was over when Trump won Wisconsin? 

I think with the polling this year it wasn't unreasonable to think Clinton was likely to win, even for those of us like myself who did NOT think she was a very good choice as candidate.

Just now, OldGimletEye said:

Well, I really hate to say this, but this looking like a major ass kicking for the Democratic Party.

I wonder what in the hell it's going to do going forward.

i cant even post what I was going to say as a joke because im sure it would break posting rules. 

no fucking clue.

Archived