US Elections - Could this be an American Brexit?

zelticgar

16 minutes ago, Ormond said:

True. And I speak as someone with a 65 year old lifetime. 

Worse than 9/11 already?

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

Worth noting, after tonight the Democratic will be at a lower ebb of political power than any other major US political party has been. Maybe the Whigs after they started breaking apart compare, but that's it.

Republicans control all the levers and can basically do as they please.

2008-10 didn't the Democrats have the Presidency, House and Senate?

1 minute ago, Andriy Czarchenko said:

Indeed republicans will not care about deficit or debt as long as they´re in the power. Better to rake both up so they can blame democrats when they eventually return to some power.

1. Cut everything.

2. Fuck the government.

3. If the Democrats ever get back in power demand more cuts cause government sucks. 

7 minutes ago, zelticgar said:

I was afraid this was going to happen. You people sit in here and talk to each other all day but this place has turned into an echo chamber with no diversity of thought. Hillary was such an awful candidate but everyone convinced themselves she was a lock to win. It's not over yet but it is not looking good. 

Yeah, I hear you about the echo chamber, but how could any sane person have predicted this? She is a bad candidate but he is a fucking nightmare. A sad joke. 

Just now, Castel said:

1. Cut everything.

2. Fuck the government.

3. If the Democrats ever get back in power demand more cuts cause government sucks. 

You forgot "Increase Military spending."

Clinton was a terrible candidate, but I really thought she would win comfortably in the electoral college (like 300+), albeit with only a narrow win in the popular vote.   Polling is for shit now.  Brexit showed it and this proved it. 

I've been through denial, anger and bargaining already this evening but I'm stuck on depression.  I don't think I even want to reach acceptance. 

3 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Worse than 9/11 already?

Yes, I do honestly think this is worse than 9/11. I don't think Trump is Hitler, but I do think he's comparable to Mussolini, and I think it's much more likely we will get both major economic difficulties and major social unrest because of his election than was the case after 9/11.

Well, time for me to shut off the computer and go to bed now, folks. Since I'm a Christian I will be doing a lot of praying the next four years -- but I do realize prayer without action isn't enough.

4 minutes ago, zelticgar said:

I was afraid this was going to happen. You people sit in here and talk to each other all day but this place has turned into an echo chamber with no diversity of thought. Hillary was such an awful candidate but everyone convinced themselves she was a lock to win. It's not over yet but it is not looking good. 

Can we not with this shit? 

Did you see the polls? Did you see the reaction to the polls? When Hillary was up according to all scientific metrics no shit people were optimistic . When the race tightened people...were concerned. There's a reason Nate Silver tweaking his model has been getting people riled up

That's how it works. 

But everyone wants to come in and have their moment to crow about "echo chambers". No doubt the media tomorrow will be filled with talk of how the "media elites" this and that and their bubble and so on.

2 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

2008-10 didn't the Democrats have the Presidency, House and Senate?

They did, but Republicans then controlled more state governments than Democrats do now.

1 minute ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Clinton was a terrible candidate, but I really thought she would win comfortably in the electoral college (like 300+), albeit with only a narrow win in the popular vote.   Polling is for shit now.  Brexit showed it and this proved it. 

I've been through denial, anger and bargaining already this evening but I'm stuck on depression.  I don't think I even want to reach acceptance. 

The polls were tightening near the end. We're not talking about a post-convention double digit lead here, it was within the margin of error.

Just now, R'hllor's nasty lobster said:

According to the markets, yeah.

but in terms of body count/roll back of civil liberties? May take a few months

The markets were closed for five or six days after 9/11.  Let's see where we're at a week from now.

Archived