US Elections - Could this be an American Brexit?

zelticgar

2 minutes ago, Pebbles said:

.I would recommend everyone who looks like  minority to stay in today/tomorrow.  I really don't want you to experience the hate and attacks we did after Brexit.   I just worry that you will do that with Guns.     The good news is the majority of the obnoxious shit only lasted a few days, before calming down.    

take care and be safe.

I hope I'm wrong, I hope it turns out your bigoted newly empowered racists nicer than ours.

That's ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, zelticgar said:

I was afraid this was going to happen. You people sit in here and talk to each other all day but this place has turned into an echo chamber with no diversity of thought. Hillary was such an awful candidate but everyone convinced themselves she was a lock to win. It's not over yet but it is not looking good. 

Clinton was a horrible candidate, but it says a lot that even then a man like Trump is still considered the viable alternative.   It is a stunning reality to go from possibly taking the POTUS and senate to losing all three and possibly the SCOTUS for a generation.  But progressives are far too marginally engaged and that may be part of why this election never got put away. 

The biggest take-away for me though, and has been the case for some time now, is the problematic and easily manipulative nature of our election system.  FPTP gave us this choice when it enabled the 2 major parties to be able to foist these candidates on us without any alternatives.  And how can we continue to allow an electoral college systenm which makes elections a game of strategic turnout chess rather than the will of the people? 

It's time to demand change in the election sytem.  It needs a complete overhaul.

1 minute ago, Horus Ex Machina said:

It's time to demand change in the election sytem.  It needs a complete overhaul.

That's not happening though.

And frankly, as I said two days ago: it's not just the electoral system. A much simpler issue is people to not vote in lockstep with their party no matter what asshole is nominated.

On the other hand though...it's going to work out for them so maybe it was rational. 

7 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

You called it though days ago.

I know you didn't want it, but Kudos, you nailed it.

I did. Does not feel good to be right though. Ironic that just when my skills at political analysis are at their best, I want to be out of the business of politics for good.

1 minute ago, drawkcabi said:

No it's reasonable caution.

I'd stay in if I lived in a particularly urban area perhaps (saw headlines that LA was ready to riot if Trump wins), but I rather doubt that a majority of violence committed tomorrow will be by Trump voters.

2 minutes ago, Horus Ex Machina said:

DO NOT MOVE TO CANADA!  Someone has to help us salvage this...

That actually inspired me.  I'm ready to fight.

3 minutes ago, Horus Ex Machina said:

Clinton was a horrible candidate, but it says a lot that even then a man like Trump is still considered the viable alternative.   It is a stunning reality to go from possibly taking the POTUS and senate to losing all three and possibly the SCOTUS for a generation.  But progressives are far too marginally engaged and that may be part of why this election never got put away. 

The biggest take-away for me though, and has been the case for some time now, is the problematic and easily manipulative nature of our election system.  FPTP gave us this choice when it enabled the 2 major parties to be able to foist these candidates on us without any alternatives.  And how can we continue to allow an electoral college systenm which makes elections a game of strategic turnout chess rather than the will of the people? 

No, the democrat party needs an overhaul. Bernie Sanders v Trump would have been a great contest. Cheating and scheming and promoting a corrupt, puppet candidate...The democrats deserve to lose this election. 

Archived