US Elections - Could this be an American Brexit?

zelticgar

1 minute ago, illrede said:

It's offensive and demeaning is what it was.

I'm not trying to be offensive or demeaning.  and I'm sorry if you read it that way.

I just remember what things where like here immediately after Brexit. Most of it was just verbal shite, but there was also physical attacks,  we don't have guns, you do, that to me increases the risks.       I don't want anyone to experience that.  And I've seen enough clips of what happened at Trump Rallies.  I'm scared for you.    

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What the heck is he going to say if he wins.

The fact that you can't predict that is terrifying.

He's been vilifying and threatening the press.  He's said he will jail his opponent.  He's racist.  He's sexist.  He's an ableist.  He's the worst of the worst and now he's probably president.  I'm sick.  

8 minutes ago, Horus Ex Machina said:

Clinton was a horrible candidate, but it says a lot that even then a man like Trump is still considered the viable alternative.   It is a stunning reality to go from possibly taking the POTUS and senate to losing all three and possibly the SCOTUS for a generation.  But progressives are far too marginally engaged and that may be part of why this election never got put away. 

The biggest take-away for me though, and has been the case for some time now, is the problematic and easily manipulative nature of our election system.  FPTP gave us this choice when it enabled the 2 major parties to be able to foist these candidates on us without any alternatives.  And how can we continue to allow an electoral college systenm which makes elections a game of strategic turnout chess rather than the will of the people? 

It's time to demand change in the election sytem.  It needs a complete overhaul.

Trump is awful, and for me--you can't forgive him. But I have argued this before--too many people who would have voted Democrat feel like they were cheated in the primaries. That sense of being "suckered" outweighs Trump's pathological manifestations. The assumption that "Bernie Bros" would leap over to Clinton was asinine--the level of arrogance people have to attack that group of people as hateful, misogynist, and whatever else, then name them something like "Bernie Bros," then expect them all to jump over and vote for Hillary? Whatever. It's looking bad now. Colorado did the right thing at least.

2 minutes ago, S John said:

So are the Rs gonna sweep all three branches giving Trump carte blanche?

Nominally.  But for the last six years we've had a Democrat President with a hostile Republican congress leading to gridlock.

Come January, I think we're going to have Trump as President with a hostile Republican congress.  Status quo along a bunch of axes.

6 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I'd stay in if I lived in a particularly urban area perhaps (saw headlines that LA was ready to riot if Trump wins), but I rather doubt that a majority of violence committed tomorrow will be by Trump voters.

If it plays out like Brexit then yes it will be. Trump's racist supporters will be emboldened and there'll be a rise in racist attacks just like here in britain.

Just now, mcbigski said:

Nominally.  But for the last six years we've had a Democrat President with a hostile Republican congress leading to gridlock.

Come January, I think we're going to have Trump as President with a hostile Republican congress.  Status quo along a bunch of axes.

I doubt the R's will stand up to Trump, considering he won tonight.

7 minutes ago, S John said:

So are the Rs gonna sweep all three branches giving Trump carte blanche?

eta - not branches, but house, senate, and executive?

They have swept all branches in effect. They'll nominate SCOTUS replacements.

Archived