US Elections - Could this be an American Brexit?

zelticgar

2 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Trump is awful, and for me--you can't forgive him. But I have argued this before--too many people who would have voted Democrat feel like they were cheated in the primaries. That sense of being "suckered" outweighs Trump's pathological manifestations. The assumption that "Bernie Bros" would leap over to Clinton was asinine--the level of arrogance people have to attack that group of people as hateful, misogynist, and whatever else, then name them something like "Bernie Bros," then expect them all to jump over and vote for Hillary? Whatever. It's looking bad now. Colorado did the right thing at least.

Honestly, fuck them. I can't take any person seriously if they are more worried about some conspiracy and feeling duped over the welfare of marginalized people that are fucking terrified out of their minds. Fucking wannabe revolutionaries that can't see the big fucking picture. 

2 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Nominally.  But for the last six years we've had a Democrat President with a hostile Republican congress leading to gridlock.

Come January, I think we're going to have Trump as President with a hostile Republican congress.  Status quo along a bunch of axes.

Are people hanging on to this dream? 

Time to wake up if you seriously believe that anything like the spirited opposition Obama faced will be in the same neighborhood as Trump. 

Nominally.  But for the last six years we've had a Democrat President with a hostile Republican congress leading to gridlock.

Come January, I think we're going to have Trump as President with a hostile Republican congress.  Status quo along a bunch of axes.

For some reason, I don't think a lot of these Republican legislators have what it takes to stand up to Trump, Limbaugh, and Hannity.

Plus there is the fact that he'll give them a lot of what they want.

5 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I would not be upset if Hillary's concession speech is simply walking out and going, "Good luck!" and walking off stage...I mean, take the high road is preferable, but I'd be okay if she went this route too.

This is EXACTLY what I want her to do and every Democrate.  

President Obama should do this too. 

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Shryke, Tracker,

Anyone else who thought the Republican's nominating Trump was awsome for Democrats...

:(

But it was, was it not? Obviously, we cannot tell exactly how Clinton would have done against a non-Trump Republican, but I don't think it would have been this close.

2 minutes ago, Ordos said:

I will ask my American friends who they voted for and if they voted for Drumpf, I'll  make sure to never talk to them again. 

I did not vote for Trump (or at all for that matter) and I don't know who your friends are, but please, try for some empathy. Imagine that you are a white man living in some city which has lost its manufacturing jobs (in, say, Ohio or whatever). You can't find a decent job and while you have options (extra education, move away from your hometown, etc.), all of them have up-front costs and none of them are all that likely to pan out simply because everybody else (of every race and gender) is competing for the same few good jobs. Politicians don't even bother pandering to you anymore and practically all of the cultural issues have gone against you. You feel powerless and see no relief anytime soon. To add insult to injury, much of the left (whom one would expect would take your side) refers to you as a deplorable, privileged oppressor and does its best to tilt the field against you.

Now, along comes Trump and speaks to you in a familiar way. Most of what he's promising is nonsense and you don't particularly trust him on the rest, but oh, what a chance to say "Fuck you" to the Clintons, the Bushes, the Kennedy clan, Romney, etc.! You are very, very unlikely to ever get another chance to tell it to them in a way that they will be have no choice but to listen to. And, realistically, Trump is not going to win (all of the poll aggregators agree on that), so it's not like you are actually even gambling on him. Why not vote for him?

When Bush won, did they stone all the atheists?  Big over reaction, I think.

It's no overreaction, it's exactly what has already been happening in Britain as a result of Brexit. Trump is even more extreme than that.

Sorry, but this stuff happened here in the UK. You think it's gonna go easier in the US? Any faith I had in your better side evaporated about three hours ago.

Not even comparable.  Trump's entire campaign was built on racism.  His slogan is meant to make whites think about the good ole days, knowing full well those good ole days were for white men only.  There was no part of W's campaign that suggested stoning people who acknowledge science and reality.  

Just now, Boris the Blade said:

Honestly, fuck them. I can't take any person seriously if they are more worried about some conspiracy and feeling duped over the welfare of marginalized people that are fucking terrified out of their minds. Fucking wannabe revolutionaries that can't see the big fucking picture. 

That's just the problem though. They are feeling squeezed and crushed by economic issues and people didn't seem to be listening to them until Sanders came along. White working class voters aren't revolutionaries--they want something too, and when the focus is on marginalized groups--a lot of these people feel like their concerns are being ignored, or worse, that they're somehow being blamed for the marginalization of said groups.

To say fuck them is exactly why people like Trump are able to manipulate them. They have nowhere to turn. The arrogance of the democratic party has turned them away.

As far as conspiracy theories--well, the conspiracy was real. Just doesn't matter anymore and isn't worth arguing. Clinton is a far better choice than Trump. She's honestly a good choice overall. I wish she would have felt the need to connect with those groups.

9 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

Trump is awful, and for me--you can't forgive him. But I have argued this before--too many people who would have voted Democrat feel like they were cheated in the primaries. That sense of being "suckered" outweighs Trump's pathological manifestations. The assumption that "Bernie Bros" would leap over to Clinton was asinine--the level of arrogance people have to attack that group of people as hateful, misogynist, and whatever else, then name them something like "Bernie Bros," then expect them all to jump over and vote for Hillary? Whatever. It's looking bad now. Colorado did the right thing at least.

We've reached the point where every section of the populace will hold up the election for their particular side. Is there solid demographic info behind this? Cause, going into the election most Bernie people actually were voting for Hillary.

If it was as bad as people wanted it to be, Johnson and Stein would be higher in the polls.They were down to like 4% combined near the end. At the peak of the DNC drama they were around 15%. Conclusion: most people came home.

That's not just backed by the stats around democrats but the stats around Trump. Most of the GOP came back for him too, and his controversies were far more stretched out and rapid-fire.

Partisanship is a very powerful force today.

8 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

The fact that you can't predict that is terrifying.

He's been vilifying and threatening the press.  He's said he will jail his opponent.  He's racist.  He's sexist.  He's an ableist.  He's the worst of the worst and now he's probably president.  I'm sick.  

I'm right there with you.

2 minutes ago, Triskan said:

How could the poll professionals who were very accurate in the past be so wrong?  

I believe Republicans were asking themselves this very same question back in 2012.

Archived