US Elections: Day dawns on Trump.

DreamSongs

2 minutes ago, The Wolves said:

I don't think those rape accusations or sexual harassment will mean anything. He's a rich, white male who just won the presidency. He will be okay. It means nothing to many Americans and our government that he has a pending rape trial coming up and has multiple sexual harassment charges against him. 

Can he be president while the police investigates him or he's on trial? It's one thing if it's just talk in the media but if he actually investigated by the state, won't he be deposed?

2 minutes ago, Guess who's back said:

wew lads. Thanks Americans for choosing politically incorrect candidate instead of corrupt and warmongering one.

Racism, misogyny, religious descrimination, homophobia and nativism are NOT just politically incorrect, for fuck's sake. Calling them that is just repugnant. 

Yes, she's a hawk, and I HATE Hawks and really only care about foreign policy, but because he's sooooo much more than just politically incorrect, it was essential to me that he lose. Because if he wins, the world loses. And that's what happened today; the world lost. 

2 minutes ago, shadowbinding shoe said:

Can he be president while the police investigates him or he's on trial? It's one thing if it's just talk in the media but if he actually investigated by the state, won't he be deposed?

I don't know. 

Does anyone know when the trial is happening? 

11 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Fact is, social justice is not a top priority for all - or even for the majority - of voters. Compared to their own narrow interests - whatever those may be - social justice comes a distant second - if it registers on their radar at all. Social justice warriors are a minority, but can't seem to grasp that others don't share that imperative.

So it might very well be - in fact, it absolutely will be the case - that many people would have voted for a candidate even if it means various aspects of the social justice cause are not being served by that candidate. Not because they actively oppose social justice necessarily, but rather because they just don't really care. And are willing to sacrifice social justice if their own interests are being served, whether that be on immigration, gun rights or whatever.

And that's just a rational position to take, as a voter. Vote for whoever serves your interests best.

i'm not asking that social justice be a priority for everyone.   The issue is that Trump ran a campaign that was about annihilating social justice.   Not simply not making it a priority, effectively keeping it at the status quo.  Oh no.  Like turning us back to a point where a whole lot of us can be lesser people again.   I hope you appreciate that difference.  

A voter can be as "ok" with a trade-off of actively opposing social justice and promoting bigotry of all kinds as they want.   And the rest of us can accurately call that voter out for it.   Especially in a case like this where Trump truly adds nothing to the table for anyone.   Anyone believing he does is deluding themselves (beyond his pro-bigotry stance, that is.  That is the only truly tangible "benefit added" he brings).

10 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Fact is, social justice is not a top priority for all - or even for the majority - of voters. Compared to their own narrow interests - whatever those may be - social justice comes a distant second - if it registers on their radar at all. Social justice warriors are a minority, but can't seem to grasp that others don't share that imperative.

So it might very well be - in fact, it absolutely will be the case - that many people would have voted for a candidate even if it means various aspects of the social justice cause are not being served by that candidate. Not because they actively oppose social justice necessarily, but rather because they just don't really care. And are willing to sacrifice social justice if their own interests are being served, whether that be on immigration, gun rights or whatever.

And that's just a rational position to take, as a voter. Vote for whoever serves your interests best.

So vote for a guy who constantly blames the economy on losing jobs to China, while in fact he has business IN China

A guy who talks about defaulting on the debt and treating the economy like one of his businesses

Who talks about helping out blue collar workers, while he himself is known for often not paying the blue collar workers who provide services for him

Military-wise talks about ripping up accords and destroying alliances

18 minutes ago, mormont said:

So far as I can see, on the specific point of minority turnout, you very much are.

Very nice to see a moderator being polite. Then again, that's only to be expected from this forum.

You, a moderator, actually said this:

I'm not sure I've actually seen a Trump supporter pop in and give a coherent reason that isn't a politer way of saying 'I'm a white person who dislikes being called out for my prejudices'

You are saying that every single person here who supported Trump is a racist, sexist, or whatever. Classy, real classy. Even from you, it's too much. Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Queen has lost. The sooner you come to terms with why, the better for you.

11 minutes ago, mormont said:

So far as I can see, on the specific point of minority turnout, you very much are.

On the general point of whether Sanders would have done better, I refer you to RBPL's post. If you're saying with certainty (as you are) that Sanders would have done better, you're doing so on scraps of inadequate information that don't support that conclusion. When all's said and done and we know more, I'm fairly sure you will find that you are wrong, but there's a long way to go before we know for sure.

Clinton did worse than 2012 Obama among black voters (88% vs 93%), Hispanics (65% vs 71%) and young voters (54% vs 60%). And the percentage of Hispanic voters is actually higher this year than in 2012. Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/09/politics/clinton-votes-african-americans-latinos-women-white-voters/index.html

Like you said, one cannot say with certainty that Sanders would do better among minorities. But he wouldn't do much worse either (considering his opponent and the baseline from 2000 and 2004 elections), and he would definitely do much better among young voters.

2 minutes ago, Jo498 said:

So with the establishment of both major parties in tatters, could one hope for some rebuilding? To get the parties closer to "the people"?

Possibly,  but I'm not holding my breath.  There will be a lot more engagement during the next set of primaries for the Dems, that's for certain.   Alot depends on the next 4 years and how it's perceived.  If Trump is still unpopular then a Bernie Sanders successor might be possible. 

Not sure if posted already. Voter turnout this election has been the lowest for a presidential election year this century.

2000 - 55.3%

2004 - 60.7%

2008 - 62.2%

2012 - 58.6%

2016 - 55.6%

2000 of course being the final year of the last century.

Would the 3% who voted in '12 who didn't vote this time have made a difference?

40 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

It's pretty clear people are still in denial here and that they have a very, very hard time seeing outside their bubble.  Trump supporters occasionally pop in here to explain why Trump supporters are voting for Trump, but they are discounted or ignored.  Of course progressives know the real reason and know better than an actual Trump supporter, and it's because they are racists, sexists, bigots, deplorables!  Demonizing all the people who voted for Trump, as is popular in this forum, adds absolutely nothing to the discourse.  I agree with others that have said that this type of alienation and demonization of essentially half the country is harmful to their own cause.

This x1000.

As I wake up to the mess I feared most, I would like to thank those who are responsible for this mess.  Certainly, everyone who voted for Trump.  But there is a special place in hell for those who voted for Clinton in her primary, those who have unconditionally defended her indefensible actions, and those who marginalized half (more than half) of the electorate by calling Trump supporters racists, misogynists, and xenophpbes.  You caused this, too.  Look in the mirror and let that sink in.  IT IS PARTLY YOUR RESPONSIBILITY THAT DONALD J. TRUMP IS THE PRESIDENT.

Accept it. Learn from your mistakes and, for crying out loud, STOP CALLING EVERYONE WHO DISAGREE WITH YOU A NASTY NAME.

This board is littered with these assholes and I am going to remind them of their part in this mess.  My two young daughters thank you, too.

On a more positive note, I see the start of sunrise.  The world hasn't ended.  Time to make the best of this mess come what may.

Did celebrities ever have influence? Seems delusional of celebrities if they think they have actual influence over the democratic decisions of ordinary people. I doubt any meaningful number of people ever changed their voting behaviour on the say so of a celebrity.

Congratulations to every person who struck a blow against corporatist corruption, the most criminal Dems establishment in history, the Coudenhove-Kalergi plan, the corruption of big banks, domestic terrorist racial division and attacks on law and order, Cultural Marxist prejudice against the interests of white males, and intended Islamisation of America: and voted Trump to take back your country as we voted to take our own back here in Britain - and to strike a blow against Soros' and the Rothschilds' destruction of Western culture and democracy, via the hideous EU.

Archived