Bastions of Humanity

Sivin

6 hours ago, Lily Valley said:

That's New Orleans.  None of those assholes voted.

Lol, though it wouldn't have moved the election to vote in Louisiana, I guess. (Hilary did win the popular vote, last I checked.)

Sivin, that sucks and I don't think you're over-reacting. Well, I'm not sure picking up and leaving everything is the best/only solution, but I don't dount the ability of a hostile government to make life much more fragile, impoverished and exclusionary for those of its citizens it doesn't like, basically.

I will second Massachusetts as a consideration.  And even recommend Northampton specifically.  Its out in the scenic part of MA, but isn't so isolated that there's no connection to urban conveniences.  There's a large lgbt presence, as well as several colleges, so no shortage of peers and/or options for education.  Lots of local arts, sports and outdoor recreational activites, good public transportation, and tons of housing and low/no skill job opportunities.  I know all the organic farms around are dying for help in the spring/summer/fall.  Also tons of restaurants, cafes, bars and assorted shops.  

Definitely check it out.

Well, we do have in Canada a Conservative leadership candidate who wants to subject immigrants and refugees to a test of "Canadian values": 

Conservative leadership candidate Kellie Leitch is praising American voters for throwing out “the elites” to elect billionaire Donald Trump to the U.S. presidency and says that same message needs to come to Canada.

In a fundraising e-mail to supporters sent early Wednesday morning, the Ontario MP also expands on her plan to screen immigrants and refugees for “Canadian values” to also include visitors – although what she means by visitors isn’t entirely clear.

“Tonight, our American cousins threw out the elites and elected Donald Trump as their next president,” Ms. Leitch, a pediatric surgeon, said in the e-mail sent to supporters at 3:08 a.m. ET Wednesday.

[...]

Ms. Leitch, one of 12 candidates vying for Conservative leadership, said she’s the only one “who is standing up for Canadian values.”

“It’s why I’m the only candidate who will ensure that every visitor, immigrant, and refugee will be screened for Canadian values,” Ms. Leitch wrote.

“I look forward to continuing to deliver this message to the Canadian elites – that historic Canadian values are worth protecting.”

Ms. Leitch has previously characterized “Canadian values” as equality of opportunity, hard work, generosity and freedom. She has defended her proposal to screen immigrants for “anti-Canadian values” as the promotion of tolerance and equality.

Of course, setting aside that this woman has no charisma and little enough support to speak of, I'd be interested to know how we're going to find immigrants who believe in primogeniture, laziness, Scrooge-like miserliness, and, um, anti-freedom.  Or something to that effect. 

5 minutes ago, The Mance said:

I will second Massachusetts as a consideration.  And even recommend Northampton specifically.  Its out in the scenic part of MA, but isn't so isolated that there's no connection to urban conveniences.  There's a large lgbt presence, as well as several colleges, so no shortage of peers and/or options for education.  Lots of local arts, sports and outdoor recreational activites, good public transportation, and tons of housing and low/no skill job opportunities.  I know all the organic farms around are dying for help in the spring/summer/fall.  Also tons of restaurants, cafes, bars and assorted shops.  

Definitely check it out.

As someone who went to college there, I'd second it, too.  Though, finding work in the Pioneer Valley can be iffy depending on your industry.  So many colleges in such a relatively low population area....

And now I kinda want to move back there and buy up a small organic farm.

Mass is pretty surprising to hear about, and it definitely was not on my radar (gaydar?). I went looking for the state of the state but got sidetracked by the disturbing electoral map. I will give it another look later tonight or tomorrow morning. 

Good to see you, Bear. I hope your son is OK, man. I wanted to send you my best at the beginning of the year but I let myself get bogged down in my own affairs and it did not feel right by the time I caught air. But now is as urgent a moment for communicated and genuine support as at least I have known. I hope you and Mrs. Bear are doing at least as well as could be expected and if you think it could help let the little cub know there's at least one more person out there who's pulling for you guys.

4 hours ago, Aemon Stark said:

Well, we do have in Canada a Conservative leadership candidate who wants to subject immigrants and refugees to a test of "Canadian values": 

Right, I was reading about that today. The irony being lost on her is pretty incredible. As a noteworthy politician that was welded onto Harper's government as a minister for the status of woman (and other posts, but this is the noteworthy one). I heard that her former secretary lambasted her for this and rightly so. Furthermore, her whole spiel against "elites" is pretty funny since as an MP, a doctor, and coming from a pretty well off family one might think that she were talking about herself. I'm more centrist in my views but I can't stand hypocrisy like this, see it too often from the right.

Going to stump for my home city of New York. Upstate is a shitshow, but many areas of New York are extremely welcoming for trans* individuals. A few trans* individuals live in my building, in fact. 

It's expensive, but you also have some top-notch schools -- NYU, Columbia, Pratt, FIT, Parsons, New School, CUNY... I'm happy to talk via PM if you have questions.

On November 9, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Kalbear said:

Know anything about Spokane? I give it around a 60% chance I move there next spring. A friend of mine has been saying good things, but her family lives there so she's a little biased. 

On 11/9/2016 at 2:36 AM, Sivin said:

I was going move back to Colorado in about a year to resume school with my GI bill, but now I intend to move forward with education starting in the spring semester.

CSU in Fort Collins is my alma matter and I never noticed any particular LBGT+ bad vibes although I'm not gay myself.  I see you have Colorado Springs on your avatar.  The Springs is CO's bible belt right?  Might want to go to Denver, Boudler or Ft. Collins.  However, remember I graduated in 1997 so my advice is worth shit. 

Best to you tho. 

On 11/9/2016 at 7:44 PM, Sivin said:

Mass is pretty surprising to hear about, and it definitely was not on my radar (gaydar?). I went looking for the state of the state but got sidetracked by the disturbing electoral map. I will give it another look later tonight or tomorrow morning. 

Good to see you, Bear. I hope your son is OK, man. I wanted to send you my best at the beginning of the year but I let myself get bogged down in my own affairs and it did not feel right by the time I caught air. But now is as urgent a moment for communicated and genuine support as at least I have known. I hope you and Mrs. Bear are doing at least as well as could be expected and if you think it could help let the little cub know there's at least one more person out there who's pulling for you guys.

Thanks man. Appreciate it. 

And Costa Rica does indeed rock. 

6 hours ago, LongRider said:

CSU in Fort Collins is my alma matter and I never noticed any particular LBGT+ bad vibes although I'm not gay myself. 

That's the thing, though. It's easy to miss a lot of bigotry if it's not directed at you. This doesn't render your take entirely moot, but given Sivin's situation I'd rather hear from actual LGBTQI+ people in the city and university about how they perceive the area. 

Was talking to a friend who lives in Ann Arbor, Michigan, today and realized I should add it to the list here. U of M is a great school, Ann Arbor is very supportive and protective of the LGBT community, more affordable than major urban areas, etc., but the weather in the winter is snowy and cold. Plus you get to abbreviate it as A2 (or call it ace deuce) & everybody in Michigan knows what you mean.

I may be forced to delay until summer to begin my relocation, and would again like to thank everyone for their input. 

I do have to point out though that I am not Michigan or NYU material and lack the financial means to support myself in such environments. My only resources will be my G.I. Bill and disability payment.

As may be obvious from other threads, the US higher education is a black and mystifying box of multiplicities of eldritch horror to me at the moment, but is seems like the upside of a place like NY (and other liberal bastions, if we assume that large cities trend more diverse and inclusive by and large) is that it has a lot of schools. Wanting to relocate to NYC doesn't mean necessarily having to get into NYU. I've seen rankings that argue that places like NYC's system of city and community colleges have some of the best environments, levels of support, graduation rates and post-graduation outcomes for students coming from less-than-priviliged backgrounds, for example, including being fairly cheap and accessible, as these things go in the US.

Actually, I have a friend who's taught at a few colleges in the CUNY system, I could check with her what kind of environment it is if its helpful.

Sivin, 

Based on everything you have described I think you would feel pretty comfortable moving to Massachusetts. Someone up thread mentioned Northhampton and I agree that it is a great area (I went to school out there) but it is tough finding work in Western part of the state. You may want to check out the Cambridge/Somerville area. I work in Cambridge and I know there is a pretty large LGBT population (lots of Trans). Cambridge is off the charts expensive but there are some surrounding towns that may work out for you. 

Archived