US Elections: If you experience a painful election...

Larry of the Lawn

Butterbumps; got cut off by thread: my response to your first response to me;

I definitely think it's been less descrite than you do. I think like many truths, the awareness of sexism can become dangerously omnipresent; I think of 70's films which, post Watergate, assumed governmental interference behind everything. And it's not irrational; there's a lot of 'there' there. But becoming prejudicial about prejudice...ie, assuming prejudice, not that bullshit 'intolerance of intolerance is intolerance' nonsense...can become just as active an agent. And I see it here, often. That's understandable but sad. I wish a better candidate (not leader...I hate her hawkishness but otherwise think she'd have been a decent pres) had been the first to step forth into the light; maybe Warren? Jill Stein is who those tests say I ought to support, but...? 

But Clinton came with a lot of experience, and that cuts both ways. I agree sexism defines how some of that cuts, but it's a baby/bath water scenario to stop there as many seem to do. So, about her hawkishness...what? What's the remedy? For me Trump was inclusively much worse, but that side-steps rather than addresses her weakness. It's a big one. And we'll get nowhere addressing it so long as anyone bringing it up has to kind of give a c.v. for their non-mysogeny to even get to a substantial argument, assuming people are in the mood that day.

my response to your point that sexism affects women too is that I think I addressed that immediately following my acknowledgment that the 8% difference surprised me.

13 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

What's up with so few California voters (8 million), influencing so many electoral votes? That's less than voted in Texas, despite Texas having a smaller population.

I know the maps say 99% of precincts reporting in, but my understanding is that there's still a lot of votes left to be counted. The the mail-in ballots don't count towards the precinct percentage, just like early voting numbers. 

In 2012, California had 10.6 million votes counted on election night with 100% of precincts reporting, but that eventually increased to 13.2 million votes after a couple weeks (yeah, it takes them that long) of counting the mail-in ballots.

1 minute ago, Weeping Sore said:

word.

As someone who is always perilously close to 'anti-American'...usually specific to foreign policy and shit like guns/prisons/racism/militarism/etc. I'm still shocked this actually happened. It's an old adage, but always true; if you have a foreigner and an American write a description of what America is and what it's likely to do, the foreigner is much more likely to be accurate. 

In this case, the world is probably less surprised America chose a bombastic, arrogant, domineering bigot as it's leader than Americans are.

26 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

What's up with so few California voters (8 million), influencing so many electoral votes? That's less than voted in Texas, despite Texas having a smaller population.

Well if you want to bring voting numbers into the issue then Hillary is the winner here.

I just saw that Jim Justice is the new Governor of West Virginia. Amazing. Something about billionaires with shady business dealings I guess; doesn't matter which party.

8 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Butterbumps; got cut off by thread: my response to your first response to me;

I definitely think it's been less descrite than you do. I think like many truths, the awareness of sexism can become dangerously omnipresent; I think of 70's films which, post Watergate, assumed governmental interference behind everything. And it's not irrational; there's a lot of 'there' there. But becoming prejudicial about prejudice...ie, assuming prejudice, not that bullshit 'intolerance of intolerance is intolerance' nonsense...can become just as active an agent. And I see it here, often. That's understandable but sad. I wish a better candidate (not leader...I hate her hawkishness but otherwise think she'd have been a decent pres) had been the first to step forth into the light; maybe Warren? Jill Stein is who those tests say I ought to support, but...? 

But Clinton came with a lot of experience, and that cuts both ways. I agree sexism defines how some of that cuts, but it's a baby/bath water scenario to stop there as many seem to do. So, about her hawkishness...what? What's the remedy? For me Trump was inclusively much worse, but that side-steps rather than addresses her weakness. It's a big one. And we'll get nowhere addressing it so long as anyone bringing it up has to kind of give a c.v. for their non-mysogeny to even get to a substantial argument, assuming people are in the mood that day.

my response to your point that sexism affects women too is that I think I addressed that immediately following my acknowledgment that the 8% difference surprised me.

don't you think there's been certain criticisms leveled against her that are utterly not substantive and highly suspicious in terms of being gendered/ coded for discomfort with a woman?     If your point is that we shouldn't automatically shout "SEXISM" at every criticism of a woman candidate, then I'm sure no one on here would disagree with you.    

But there are definitely a whole lot of criticisms that get raised about her that should raise red flags.  

5 minutes ago, butterbumps! said:

don't you think there's been certain criticisms leveled against her that are utterly not substantive and highly suspicious in terms of being gendered/ coded for discomfort with a woman?     If your point is that we shouldn't automatically shout "SEXISM" at every criticism of a woman candidate, then I'm sure no one on here would disagree with you.    

But there are definitely a whole lot of criticisms that get raised about her that should raise red flags.  

What are you referring to?

If the dollar goes down and stays down, Trump may unintentionally fulfill his promise of bringing manufacturing jobs back; so long as he doesn't start a trade war with China at least.

I also just saw that Virginia fairly decisively voted against the right to work amendment, 53-47; which is wider than the presidential result was. Nice result. Proud that my state has become so blue. It held on in 2014 and it held on last night; when so many traditional Democratic states went red.

23 minutes ago, Fez said:

I know the maps say 99% of precincts reporting in, but my understanding is that there's still a lot of votes left to be counted. The the mail-in ballots don't count towards the precinct percentage, just like early voting numbers. 

In 2012, California had 10.6 million votes counted on election night with 100% of precincts reporting, but that eventually increased to 13.2 million votes after a couple weeks (yeah, it takes them that long) of counting the mail-in ballots.

Are you saying the result could be flipped?  That would be a story.

8 minutes ago, SerPaladin said:

So the election night discussion on FiveThirtyEight had an interesting nugget. Trump won with white women?  Backed up with a story on CBS News. Might be going from the same data set. That's kind of shocking, no?

That the female nominee of the Democratic party underperformed with white women is a story.

Archived