What makes GRRM and this series so amazing for you?

Daendrew

I can use some cheering up. For those who agree, I would love it if you folks could tell me what you think makes this series so remarkable and why you think GRRM is a master storyteller.

These are the best books I have ever read. I think GRRM is a true genius.

There is one aspect to his life's history that is not really talked about in the fandom that makes him stand out to me and that is his skill in chess. As a young man he almost became a chess grandmaster. Thanks to Bobby Fisher (to whom I think the Fisher King's homage goes to) he decided to leave chess and become a writer.

It takes a cyvasse master to weave together so many intricate plots within plots within plots within plots.

Take a look at this flow chart of the Tourney of Harrenhal as an example.

His attention to detail is simply incredible. The characters feel real to me. The prose just flows and is beautiful. His food descriptions make me salivate. Even though the world is bloody but there is a vibrant beauty that comes through the page.

I'd love to hear your thoughts in this GRRM appreciation thread.

Calling out a few of my buddies here to chime in: @LmL @sweetsunray @YOVMO @Isobel Harper @Blind Beth the Cat Lady @Sly Wren

His honesty about human nature.  Making us question morality (Jaime's kinslaying/kingslaying dilemma and how he deals with it is an example).  The DEPTH to the story, from the language he uses to the connection to in-story figures (or "echos") and even to real world mythology. 

I don't simply enjoy reading the books, I enjoy discussing them.  Many authors can write a good book.  But few can boast to having fans that analyze his story like we do.

Can I add something?

First, Cheers to the cheering up :cheers:

Second, why I like GRRM (this will be hard, but I will try to keep reasonably short). I love what he does in his own community for artists and movie lovers. I think it helps keep him grounded and a "real" person. I love, love what he does for wolves, and I hear his wife is a contributing animal donor herself. https://www.wildspiritwolfsanctuary.org/westeros_pack.php

I did have a chance to meet him and stuff this past spring and he was amazing to talk to. He never made anyone feel nervous, never flaunted his advanced intellect on different topics, and was able to make and take jokes. The best is when he called me weird (in a good way) when I discussed a few small theories with him.

Why I love the story: the layers, the triple entendres, the symbolism (both true and false), the integrating of other stories and mythos so that this world feels warm enough to walk through, yet scary enough that you should always be wary of alchemists... and goats. Like mentioned above, I love talking about them, I love reading other peoples takes on theories and ideas, I love that GRRM specifically wrote them to read and re-read over and over, always finding more story under more layers. I seriously have never read another series that set books up in a way that even chapter transitions for both the plot and POV's meant something.

It's a crazy Planetos and I love skinchanging into it when I crack open the pages.

Nice thread :thumbsup:

P.S.

I also want to give a huge amount of respect to the one and only Roy Dotrice. I have loved him since I saw him in Amadeus when I was a kid. Scared the shit out of me!!! When I hear his voice (squeeks and leprechauns and all) I get wicked excited to keep listening. I think it was GRRM that chose him, and I am so happy he did! Roy Dotrice is my head canon for everyone in the story ^_^ Long may he reign!!!

The world-building. The attention to detail (remarked on above) is one thing, but to carry that on for thousands of pages of backstory is quite another in my opinion. The histories and maps are rich with detail, and he clearly did his research when crafting his world: it's even possible to perceive tectonic plate boundaries! It's this that makes GRRM's books unlike any others I've ever had the pleasure to read.

GRRM is amazing to me because he knows he has a master piece on his hands and he understands that if he rushes it, it won't be as good as he has in mind so he is taking his time because when it's all said and done and all the dust finally settles, people will read this story way way in the future and be like, woah. That shit is insanely deep and brilliant. Although they will never know the hurt of the wait lol!.

The series itself is brilliant because there is so much hidden clues, different interpretations, parallels, nods to other stories, writers etc etc. It's deep as hell.

Its so rammed with 'blink and you miss it type shit' that you actually can't help but pick the books back up for a re read because you just know that you are gonna come across more stuff you missed last time round, or interpret something totally differently then come on here to share it with the rest of the asoiaf addicts.

Quite simply, GRRM and his series is tha :DBombay!

I didn't need more layers than the ones on the surface of the page to enjoy this series. It was interesting even without the depth that is there for those willing to look. I have reread books before, never reread an entire series. When I read GRRM I am transported into the story. As he wrote I have lived many lives other than my own, thanks to him. The only books that compare in that ability to pull me in: Treasure Island, Moby Dick.  

Yes, it's genial. A quadrupliary character has something that makes them unique, and not just a cardboard redshirt. Initiallly you don't think it doesn't matter whether the guy saying something is Dywen, or Shit-mouth. But one has wooden teeth and a very good nose, and the other has Tourette's. The allusions, references and how he uses it in his world and plot building is something I've never seen done. Fantasy generally borrows from history and mythology, but only at an obvious level. He uses it thematically and repeatedly like a pattern, and makes it so his own that it becomes an actual independen aSoIaF layer. And on top of that he uses plain English without going overboard in literary language. 

14 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Can I add something?

Second, why I like GRRM (this will be hard, but I will try to keep reasonably short). I love what he does in his own community for artists and movie lovers. I think it helps keep him grounded and a "real" person. I love, love what he does for wolves, and I hear his wife is a contributing animal donor herself. https://www.wildspiritwolfsanctuary.org/westeros_pack.php

I did have a chance to meet him and stuff this past spring and he was amazing to talk to. He never made anyone feel nervous, never flaunted his advanced intellect on different topics, and was able to make and take jokes. The best is when he called me weird (in a good way) when I discussed a few small theories with him.

Why I love the story: the layers, the triple entendres, the symbolism (both true and false), the integrating of other stories and mythos so that this world feels warm enough to walk through, yet scary enough that you should always be wary of alchemists... and goats. Like mentioned above, I love talking about them, I love reading other peoples takes on theories and ideas, I love that GRRM specifically wrote them to read and re-read over and over, always finding more story under more layers. I seriously have never read another series that set books up in a way that even chapter transitions for both the plot and POV's meant something.

It's a crazy Planetos and I love skinchanging into it when I crack open the pages.

P.S.

I also want to give a huge amount of respect to the one and only Roy Dotrice. I have loved him since I saw him in Amadeus when I was a kid. Scared the shit out of me!!! When I hear his voice (squeeks and leprechauns and all) I get wicked excited to keep listening. I think it was GRRM that chose him, and I am so happy he did! Roy Dotrice is my head canon for everyone in the story ^_^ Long may he reign!!!

14 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Can I add something?

P.S.

Oooh!  So jealous!  Did he confirm any of your theories? :)

1 hour ago, Isobel Harper said:

Oooh!  So jealous!  Did he confirm any of your theories? :)

I asked about three of them and the first two were answered in such sly ways that just drove me more crazy and made me way more excited. He did ask a few detailed questions and we had a good chat. The third he dropped something a little too good (in my opinion) and I freaked a little on the inside and decided not to ask anything more on that one so I'd don't jinx it by bringing too much attention to it. :leaving:

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I asked about three of them and the first two were answered in such sly ways that just drove me more crazy and made me way more excited. He did ask a few detailed questions and we had a good chat. The third he dropped something a little too good (in my opinion) and I freaked a little on the inside and decided not to ask anything more on that one so I'd don't jinx it by bringing too much attention to it. :leaving:

What theories did you ask about?  

5 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

What theories did you ask about?  

Something small about the theory of his inspiration for Bran, something about first-born Targ/Non-Taarg kids, and something small about Bloodraven. If you want, you can read about it here, but you certainly don't have to if you don't want to. I had a postcards of questions and notes and after some discussion, he took the card from me and we talked about these things.

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Something small about the theory of his inspiration for Bran, something about first-born Targ/Non-Taarg kids, and something small about Bloodraven. If you want, you can read about it here, but you certainly don't have to if you don't want to. I had a postcards of questions and notes and after some discussion, he took the card from me and we talked about these things.

Yes, I have to.  Why would I not read about a personal conversation with The GRRM himself? 

Misc thoughts:

Re: fanfic - Grrm seems to be under the impression that fanfic is an infringement of copyright.  I've read some fanfic.  Believe me.  From what I've read, those people don't deserve to be paid.  :P

Re: Targ/Non-Targ theory - I remember this one!  Where the first born had no Targ features, but the next borns do have Targ features.  That your theory gave him pause and consideration is, well...  "interesting." :D

Re: Bran/Pinocchio - Do you have a thread concerning this theory? 

ETA : Technically, this is off topic to the OP.  But Daendrew did say he needed cheering up.  I'm sure a recount of a personal sit down with GRRM is cheering him up.  Eh,  @Daendrew? 

ETA 2 : RE: Grrm touched your knee during the 2 swords demonstration - I hope you never wash that knee again.  (I searched for that scene in the Simpsons where Bart's crush spits in his hand and he vows never to wash that hand again, for reference.  Couldn't find it.  Hopefully you know what I mean. :D)

42 minutes ago, Isobel Harper said:

Yes, I have to.  Why would I not read about a personal conversation with The GRRM himself? 

Misc thoughts:

Re: fanfic - Grrm seems to be under the impression that fanfic is an infringement of copyright.  I've read some fanfic.  Believe me.  From what I've read, those people don't deserve to be paid.  :P

Tooo true!

Re: Targ/Non-Targ theory - I remember this one!  Where the first born had no Targ features, but the next borns do have Targ features.  That your theory gave him pause and consideration is, well...  "interesting." :D

Yea, I was most "nervous" to ask this one because it does have to do with Targ history, of which I am not always 100%, but that is why I brought my notes :read: He was so easy to talk to though, and I make lots of dumb jokes anyway, but he went along smoothly with everything we threw at him.

Re: Bran/Pinocchio - Do you have a thread concerning this theory? 

It is in my signature, but I know I have not looked at it in a little while and it would need some updating/tightening up. Not really much to add to the end game, maybe, but it was fun to find the links to the inspiration. Ok, I found the link if you want to read from here. It's more fun than groundbreaking.

ETA : Technically, this is off topic to the OP.  But Daendrew did say he needed cheering up.  I'm sure a recount of a personal sit down with GRRM is cheering him up.  Eh,  @Daendrew? 

I do hope so. This is kinda nice to talk about being a fan instead of the same few topics over and over (atleast for a few days :lol:) I kinda see it as part of what makes GRRM so amazing anyway.

Eh, @Daendrew ?

ETA 2 : RE: Grrm touched your knee during the 2 swords demonstration - I hope you never wash that knee again.  (I searched for that scene in the Simpsons where Bart's crush spits in his hand and he vows never to wash that hand again, for reference.  Couldn't find it.  Hopefully you know what I mean. :D)

I have never washed my entire leg since. It is the most beautious green-grey color and it brings conversation to every room I enter ;).

This delighted my evil little heart when he did this demo because it was right after the fan-fic viewer version showed fArthur Dayne swinging two long swords. He kinda proved how goofy it looked.

And yeah, I know that Simpson's episode you are talking about. For Sure!!!!

Seconded almost all of the answers here.

I'd like to add - I'm pretty amazed as to how he manages to get the internal thoughts, feelings, and experiences of such a diverse cast of characters. He writes women with such varied personalities - Catelyn, Sansa, Dany, Arya, Asha, Brienne, Cersei........and manages to nail each one's psyche brilliantly. Then you have characters like Tyrion, Jaime, Bran, Jon all with their own struggles.....

He's definitely got a very very good grasp of human nature, for sure. And a major soft spot for cripples, bastards, broken things and underdogs.

It's nice to learn the tidbit that GRRM was a chess player - only serves to bolster my impression that he's extremely intelligent. I love the fact that he's written a series which really, truly is for the "thinking reader."  

10 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Eh, @Daendrew ?

11 hours ago, Isobel Harper said:

Isobel and Fattest Leech,

I would would kill, or rather mortgage my house and hire a faceless man to do it for me, for a sit down with GRRM :)

But I recently got the next best thing. GRRM gave me my own personalized food description comment on his blog when I asked him about the popcorn he serves at his theatre. It made the fanboy in me silently squee. 

He wrote this in reply to my comment below:

Dan: Is it true that you use real butter in your voter appreciation popcorn? Traditional toppings like salted butter and coconut oil are far healthier than the inflammatory hydrogenated soybean oil crap sold in most movie theaters

GRRM: "Yes, we use real butter. Our popcorn is popped from organic kernels grown by Amish farmers in Indiana. We pop it in sunflower oil, not coconut oil, and offer -- free, no extra charge -- a range of more than a dozen shake-on toppings that includes brewer's yeast, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, cinnamon sugar, red chile powder, and various other flavors."

Last year I sent him what I can only describe as a fanboy loveletter about how much his work has meant to me I and asked him to kill "Daendrew" by rupturing his eardrums with a sword. He hasn't impaled a single ear canal in all 4,722 pages. Just sayin. Now if he kills me in TWoW which I doubt, that would make my year and certainly cheer me up. Fans ask him to kill them all the time, but he does it to very few of them though. Even GRRM has a murderous limit. But a boy can dream.

5 minutes ago, Daendrew said:

Isobel and Fattest Leech,

I would would kill, or rather mortgage my house and hire a faceless man to do it for me, for a sit down with GRRM :)

But I recently got the next best thing. GRRM gave me my own personalized food description comment on his blog when I asked him about the popcorn he serves at his theatre. It made the fanboy in me silently squee. 

He wrote this in reply to my comment below:

Was that butter comment you???? I saw that the other day. (I check his blog often) Haha. What a great question and great response. That is something I like about him, he pays attention to details because they matter :D

And here's to a slow and painful death by ear puncture :cheers:

Just now, The Fattest Leech said:

Was that butter comment you???? I saw that the other day. (I check his blog often) Haha. What a great question and great response. That is something I like about him, he pays attention to details because they matter :D

C'est moi. 

Hehe yes. That comment made my day. I love his attention to detail. He knows the story of the food. Who grew it and where etc. He is wonderful.

George RR Martin is a genius. 

Very few of his characters are boring and plain good and he has alot of character development. His world feels very original and epic in it's scale. The depth of everything is insane when you dig into it and especially when look at all the good theory videos. The books are very unpredictable and it is not the boring good guy defeats evil every time. The books are also very rereadable since you won't get everything on the first reads. The chracters and their quotes and speeches are amazing and the military conflict is very intresting to read about. The decision making is seldom clear even to the reader and that is good. Very well written characters ofcourse. Multiple pov offers diffrent views on the world and how other percieves it.

Archived