Shiera's fate

Quellon

This must have been discussed here before, but I was always intrigued by this. Nothing is mentioned about Shiera after Bloodraven left for the Wall-NOTHING! How and why is that?? I have read theories about her being Quaithe and I must say that is very interesting and has some logic. What do you think could have happened to her otherwise, assuming that she isn't Quaithe? Did she simply go to Lys, where he mother was from or? With her being learned in the black arts, I just can't imagine her simply disappearing from the whole plot, that's why it would be logical that she is Quaithe.

If I'm not mistaken she's not mentioned by name in the novels at all, her only reference being BR mentioning "a woman I loved". Given that the novels' plot would need to stand on their content alone and BR's past is barely mentioned I find it hard to believe that she could ever be anything more than a cameo or an easter egg. Quaithe herself is in danger of falling of her tracks as it is. Think about it. Someone who has read only the novels would have no idea who Shiera is. If Martin has come up with a story for her he might share it with us sometime.

10 minutes ago, The Sleeper said:

If I'm not mistaken she's not mentioned by name in the novels at all, her only reference being BR mentioning "a woman I loved". Given that the novels' plot would need to stand on their content alone and BR's past is barely mentioned I find it hard to believe that she could ever be anything more than a cameo or an easter egg. Quaithe herself is in danger of falling of her tracks as it is. Think about it. Someone who has read only the novels would have no idea who Shiera is. If Martin has come up with a story for her he might share it with us sometime.

Barristan mentions her in his POV in ADOD.  But you're right, she is anything but an important figure - just a historical detail.  She is as likely to show up in the story as Bittersteel.

@estermonty python Funny you should mention that, as the Blackfyres look to be coming up soon. Given the unplanned size of the novels, I wonder how much stuff Martin has left in the backburner will be coming out of the woodwork. Marwyn the mage was mentioned in Game and Quaithe was pretty cryptic and ominous in Clash. Both would look to be central in the mystical aspects of Dany's arc and have been meant to be so for quite sometime. Yet they have barely shown up.

2 hours ago, The Sleeper said:

@estermonty python Funny you should mention that, as the Blackfyres look to be coming up soon. Given the unplanned size of the novels, I wonder how much stuff Martin has left in the backburner will be coming out of the woodwork. Marwyn the mage was mentioned in Game and Quaithe was pretty cryptic and ominous in Clash. Both would look to be central in the mystical aspects of Dany's arc and have been meant to be so for quite sometime. Yet they have barely shown up.

I agree Marwyn is an interesting case.  I don't really buy the Shiera = Quaithe connection, partly for reasons you've already stated, partly because Quaithe's eyes are visible, and Dany would presumably have noted that they are different colors.  I think that you're right - her tale is a different story, and not the one he's telling in this series.  

I do think her different color eyes is an easter egg to support Tyrion's Targ heritage for WOIAF readers, but thats it!

Or she's the white witch. Can't think of her exact name but seeing as BR went north and lived why not her as well.

This woman who wears a weir wood mask tells Jon she would be his woman or man whichever he preferred.

I like to think Shira went north and has been planted in the story to help support JS via BR when the time comes, maybe be a teacher of magic or help in his resurrection. Not to mention if she is linked to Jon by blood as well.

8 hours ago, the conquering bastard 25 said:

Or she's the white witch. Can't think of her exact name but seeing as BR went north and lived why not her as well.

This woman who wears a weir wood mask tells Jon she would be his woman or man whichever he preferred.

I like to think Shira went north and has been planted in the story to help support JS via BR when the time comes, maybe be a teacher of magic or help in his resurrection. Not to mention if she is linked to Jon by blood as well.

Now that is interesting...an interesting theory. I must have missed or forgotten about this part. May well be...I think that sounds very plausible, because Shiera following Brynden AT SOME POINT is not unthinkable. That she went up north. But what do you mean that SHE is linked to Jon by blood? Isn't Brynden also linked to him? They are all half-Targaryens.

15 hours ago, the conquering bastard 25 said:

Dude.   This is great.  Thank you!

18 hours ago, the conquering bastard 25 said:

You're talking about Morna Whitemask. She is intiguing, but I don't believe that it's Sheira. 

Possibly she could have a role later. Or she could be someone, or be related to someone, we already know, like Quaithe or Melisandre. Why not Val's mother? But it would be another play of hidden personalities. And I believe we already have enough. And I don't think how to make something a "big surprise", a "game changer" of Sheira's story. So globally, I don't expect to learn much more of her in the remaining books.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sgtpimenta said:

Dude, wasn't she in Qarth when we meet her?

yeah but she's from asshai, right?. We first meet Cersei in Winterfell but that's not where she's from. 

I always thought Quaithe was originally of Asshai, but traveled to Qarth at some point. 

On 11/10/2016 at 10:03 AM, BRANDON GREYSTARK said:

Sheira is dead  .

Yep. Dead and of ZERO consequence to the story. Deader than Cersei's soul. Deader than Robwind, Deader than Jeor in Craster's. Deader than Balon on a rope bridge. Deader than Varys' Junk. Deader than Ned's dead head  

On 11/14/2016 at 4:49 AM, 1000th Lord Commander said:

Considering that not everyone has to be everyone else, I kinda assumed she was dead. Given that Bloodraven is over 125 years old when we meet him, it's a reasonable assumption. I also assumed she died childless, it would have come up if they had.

So, just a coincidence that GRRM writes about blood magic used to obscure one's age, in regards to Sheira's mother?

32 minutes ago, Aetta said:

So, just a coincidence that GRRM writes about blood magic used to obscure one's age, in regards to Sheira's mother?

Or it was to show that Serenei was a foreigner and a subject of jealous, xenophobic rumours that then continued against Shiera. While i'm not naive enough to think that grrm is some super feminist, i don't think he is going for "all misogynistic rumours are true" either. 

While i think Shiera is dead by the time of the main books, it doesn't mean she is irrelevant for the D&E books. She can play a role there. 

Archived