US Elections: Apocalypse Now

Inigima

I'm going to repost this Elizabeth Warren link from the previous thread (originally posted by Martell Spy; sorry, but I don't see a way to quote across threads). Here are what I believe are the important pieces:

“This wasn’t a pretty election. In fact, it was ugly, and we should not sugarcoat the reason why,” Warren said toward the beginning of her address. “Donald Trump ran a campaign that started with racial attacks and then rode the escalator down. He encouraged a toxic stew of hatred and fear. He attacked millions of Americans. And he regularly made statements that undermined core values of our democracy."

But she insisted that leaders must be more in tune with the unrest in America. “There are millions of people who did not vote for Donald Trump because of the bigotry and hate that fueled his campaign rallies. They voted for him despite hate. They voted for him out of frustration and anger — and also out of hope that he would bring change."

“We will stand up to bigotry. No compromises on this one, ever. In all its forms, we will fight back against attacks on Latinos, African-Americans, women, Muslims, immigrants, disabled Americans — on anyone. Whether Donald Trump sits in a glass tower or sits in the White House, we will not give an inch on this,” she said. "Not now, not ever."

Still, she suggested she is open to working with Trump on some matters, like reforming trade policies, improving infrastructure, and addressing college and child care costs, urging him to commit to those causes and insisting that his election and both primaries show voters want change in Washington.

“When President-elect Trump wants to take on these issues, when his goal is to increase the economic security of the middle-class families, then count me in. I will put aside our differences, and I will work with him to accomplish that goal,” she said. “I offer to work as hard as I can and to pull as many people as I can into this effort."

This is way, way more friendly than I expected. Obviously, certain issues are off the table, but if Warren is willing to work with Trump on infrastructure and trade, there may be an opportunity for a deal here.

Are people really serious about this? Like, really serious? And if the answer is yes, you won't be needing Trump to destroy the country, you have DNC.

A few, but its not clear at all that she wants to run. But in all likelihood the 2019/2020 Democratic primary is going to be an epic knife fight. And first we get to have the fight over who's running the DNC; so far the biggest names in there are Keith Ellison and Howard Dean (yep, he wants back in). Meanwhile, Schumer is going to be trying figure out whether its better to go full-obstruction, to the extent he can, or if it might be possible to co-opt large parts of Trump's agenda. Guess it depends on just how much the xenophobia and racism actually gets pushed, since there's no deals to be had there. And I'm sure every senator in the Democratic caucus has their own opinions about that.

The party's about to have the insider vs. outside and center vs. left wing fight that most people thought the Republicans would be having right now (replace 'left wing' with 'right wing'), and I have no idea how that'll turn out or how I want it to turn out. Somehow, the party needs to become populist without going too far to the left (see: Corbyn, Jeremy and current popularity of Labour) and without alienating its current key supporters. That's a tough line to walk. Although outside events may make it easier.

7 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I don't think the Republicans will remove the filibuster.  If they do it will haunt them next go round.  Perhaps as soon as mid-terms.

I don't know about this. I think the Republicans are feeling pretty good right now. And probably think they are going to control things for a very long time. They will be able to completely reverse the legacy of Obama and then tilt the court with conservatives.

I think the Democratic Party is pretty much like a guy facing a train. He's gonna get smashed and there isn't a damn thing he can do about it.

I just hope, maybe years from now, the Democrats get some payback. But, it maybe a long while.

19 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

My bet is full obstructionist.  They will start with the court.... It will not be pretty.

Zabzie,

Given the numbers, how?  Given Sen. Reid's prior actions do you really think the Rep. Senate will hesitate to invoke his actions in approving Judicial appointments?

16 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I don't think the Republicans will remove the filibuster.  If they do it will haunt them next go round.  Perhaps as soon as mid-terms.

As surely as Democratic politicians crap themselves at the first sign of trouble, Republican politicians overplay their hand in self-destructive ways.

Howard Dean and his 50 state policy would have been a good thing this time around I think. 

Didn't Trump spend some time in small towns off the beaten track the last couple of weeks before the election?  It may have helped him. 

If Demos want votes they need to look past the swing states and "firewalls". 

4 minutes ago, Ariadne23 said:

Howard Dean is running for DNC chair. Is this good news? It seems like good news.

I don't recall his views but I remember liking him when he had some presidential steam a few years back.

I thought it was bullshit how peopie turned on him just because he yelled all dorky like that one time.

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I do think court appointments filibuster is going to be gone. That's done. 

Which means President Trump will get to appoint Scalia's successor.  I still believe we need to get the politics out of Judicial appointments and political litmus tests are not proper.  All we should consider is competency regardless of who is President.

Archived