US Elections: Groper in Chief

Martell Spy

Good for Andrew Cuomo. I'm thinking he wants to run for President in 2020 though, and he'd do terribly.

The state of New York has a proud legacy as the progressive capital of the nation, and that is more important today than ever before.
As New Yorkers, we have fundamentally different philosophies than what Donald Trump laid out in his campaign.
So let me be absolutely clear: If anyone feels that they are under attack, I want them to know that the state of New York – the state that has the Statue of Liberty in its harbor – is their refuge.
Whether you are gay or straight, Muslim or Christian, rich or poor, black or white or brown, we respect all people in the state of New York.
It's the very core of what we believe and who we are. But it's not just what we say, we passed laws that reflect it, and we will continue to do so, no matter what happens nationally. We won’t allow a federal government that attacks immigrants to do so in our state.
We are a state of immigrants.
We are the state that raised the minimum wage to $15.
We are the state that passed Paid Family Leave.
We are the state that passed marriage equality.
We are New York, and we will stand up for you. And on that, I will never compromise.
Count on it.

It is a good statement though.

56 minutes ago, Inigima said:

I just had the fun experience of being yelled at by some *left*-wing asshole on Facebook because I commented about fear of persecution. He saw "white dude" and declare me a hypocrite and "the problem not the solution." (He is also a white dude, according to his picture, so I'm not sure exactly where he's coming from anyway.) I managed not to call him an asshole, and settled for "Because I'm Jewish, thanks for playing!" As it happens, I'm straight, but if I were gay that wouldn't be immediately obvious either. What a prick.

Sounds like an apt description.  I'm sorry you're having this kind of anxiety and then lack of empathy for that anxiety.

56 minutes ago, Inigima said:

I just had the fun experience of being yelled at by some *left*-wing asshole on Facebook because I commented about fear of persecution. He saw "white dude" and declare me a hypocrite and "the problem not the solution." (He is also a white dude, according to his picture, so I'm not sure exactly where he's coming from anyway.) I managed not to call him an asshole, and settled for "Because I'm Jewish, thanks for playing!" As it happens, I'm straight, but if I were gay that wouldn't be immediately obvious either. What a prick.

The White Dudes will need to be a little more self-reflecting and not be a self-righteous White Knight.

5 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

That really doesnt matter. The point is there is a sense of arrogance and intolerance on the left that we demonize people on the right for.

It actually does matter. Just cause you claim to speak for someone doesn't mean that you can't project your own biases.

The idea that it doesn't matter because it conforms with what people he's talking to think sounds right -not the actual demographic being talked about- is just the same problem repeated.

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

When the pain comes, don't worry, it will be Obama's fault.  The orange shit stain and Fox news will tell us so.

Indeed.  we will be back to the old line that 'economic policies take 8 years to have an effect.'  which if couse is why recession's are always the fault of the left.

2 hours ago, Yukle said:

With that one I mean just for Trump, not in general. It sounds hard to prove, truth be told, but he will be facing court on 16 December. I've read that there is some legal wrangling about it, though, as the President receives immunity unless impeached, but the charges were made well before his election.

Most such cases come down to one word versus another, and the courts require beyond reasonable doubt, so I'm not sure anything will come of it.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/06/23/donald-trump-rape-lawsuit/

Loo at the date on that story, she dropped the lawsuit

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

He has an upcoming trial for child rape.  He has a lawsuit pending for fraud.  He openly discussed sexually assaulting women.  He called an entire ethnicity (save for a few he assume might be good) rapists and criminals.  He proposed to ban an entire religion.  He says women who have abortions should be punished.  He lies repeatedly.  He cozies up to other white supremacists. 

And yet people voted for him.  To me it couldn't be any more clear that his voters will literally allow him to do anything.  Trump is even smart enough to know it because he once pointed out he could shoot a person in broad daylight in Times Square and he wouldn't lose a single vote.  

Except the rape charge was withdrawn -and Trump got more votes from African-Americans and Latinos than the previous two republican candidates. Hillary lost because many African-American and Latino voters saw through her facade. Something many Hillary voters were unable to do. Perhaps the black vote heard how Hillary's mentor was a Klansman and decided that Trump was actually the least racist of the two. Or more likely saw her as a white privileged puppet of wall street, Saudi Arabia and god knows who else.

5 minutes ago, DraculaAD1972 said:

Hillary lost because many African-American and Latino voters saw through her facade. Something many Hillary voters were unable to do. Perhaps the black vote heard how Hillary's mentor was a Klansman and decided that Trump was actually the least racist of the two. Or more likely saw her as a white privileged puppet of wall street, Saudi Arabia and god knows who else.

Latino and African-American voters saw through Hillary's facade yet failed to recognize Trump's blatant racism? That's a fucked up pair of bifocals if you ask me. 

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Latino and African-American voters saw through Hillary's facade yet failed to recognize Trump's blatant racism? That's a fucked up pair of bifocals if you ask me. 

Oh I don't know, those bifocals sure seem to see every lie and CT about Clinton. 

7 minutes ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Loo at the date on that story, she dropped the lawsuit

This is correct, and the story notes that, but refers to there still being a 'status conference' scheduled. I'm not a lawyer so I'm not sure what significance that has, if any.

Of course, Trump also faces numerous other open civil suits for a variety of issues including fraud, breaches of charity law, libel, unpaid bills and sex discrimination. And that's before we get into the question of whether he will keep his promise to sue women accusing him of sexual assault and media outlets who reported their allegations. President Trump may be spending a lot of his time talking to his lawyers.

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I would buy this a lot more if the Republican turnout varied in the last three elections to any major degree.

Yeah, your methods of assessment are more thorough and data based. I really appreciated your article. Going back to the football thread, I always enjoyed your data based approach to debating a particular point. I've never really been what you'd call a proficient number cruncher. I've always been more of an eyeball test sort.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/11/12/donald-trump-is-beginning-to-face-a-rude-awakening-over-obamacare/

Yes, allowing people to buy insurance across state lines, A Republican Party Fantasy, will not resolve adverse or risk selection problems.

The only real Republican response to this is to go off on some ultra libertarian spiel and argue the state has no business in issuing any type of social insurance. That's not going to play well. Particularly, by such an argument, you would have to conclude that the employer tax exclusion for health care should be ended.

The Republican Party and Trump have never really had a credible health care plan. 

It's good that Sanders has emerged as a kind of party elder (even though it doesn't look like he's actually a Democrat at the moment). His supporters have also finally found the courage to fight for control of the state party apparatuses.

The revolution is back in business.

Supporters of Bernie Sanders' failed presidential bid are seizing on Democratic disarray at the national level to launch a wave of challenges to Democratic Party leaders in the states.

The goal is to replace party officials in states where Sanders defeated Hillary Clinton during the acrimonious Democratic primary with more progressive leadership. But the challenges also represent a reckoning for state party leaders who, in many cases, tacitly supported Clinton's bid.

“I think the Bernie people feel very strongly that they were abused, somehow neglected during the primary process and the conventions,” said Severin Beliveau, a former Maine Democratic Party chairman who supported Sanders in the primary.

2 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Im not in the slightest bit upset for Hillary. I think shes dreadful. There was an article on the guardian website about how we failed Hillary by not voting for her, how she was a symbol of feminism and liberal values. Except she wasn't was she, she was a symbol of crony capitalism.

Many people got caught up in the myth of a female president and liberal values, and didn't notice that Clinton didn't embody any of it.

Yeah, I saw that article. I could only shake my head in disbelief. Hillary Clinton a symbol of liberal values? Really? I mean, sure, she's more liberal than the Republicans, but she's far from the most liberal person in the Democratic party. And her views on crony capitalism, election financing, or her extreme hawkishness and belligerence in foreign policy are 180 degrees away from a true progressive.

6 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Yes, allowing people to buy insurance across state lines, A Republican Party Fantasy, will not resolve adverse or risk selection problems.

Trump was adamant about this state line issue, but that article didn't clear that up for me.  Do you why he brought that up?  Why would he think this is important?  I still don't get it.

Just now, LongRider said:

Trump was adamant about this state line issue, but that article didn't clear that up for me.  Do you why he brought that up?  Why would he think this is important?  I still don't get it.

The theory is that it will lower insurance prices as it will increase competition. But, even if that were true, in the real world, it doesn't solve the adverse selection problem.

Some states have tried the across state lines thing and it hasn't work that well. Plus there are some other issues as well.

The bottom line is that while the across state lines thing might lower insurance prices,theoretically, it doesn't solve adverse selection.

3 minutes ago, Mr Fixit said:

Yeah, I saw that article. I could only shake my head in disbelief. Hillary Clinton a symbol of liberal values? Really? I mean, sure, she's more liberal than the Republicans, but she's far from the most liberal person in the Democratic party. And her views on crony capitalism, election financing, or her extreme hawkishness and belligerence in foreign policy are 180 degrees away from a true progressive.

I have to wonder what would have happened if the media hadn't taken such an irritating stance on the election, being so obviously one sided and against Trump. Articles like that do nothing but make me want to headbutt a wall, and certainly don't endear me to Clinton. The internet was full of them. 

4 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Seemed like a real policy proposal from the Trump...it is not.

'The barriers to entry are not truly regulatory, they are financial and they are network,' said Sabrina Corlette, the director of the Georgetown University Health Policy Institute.

"The main difficulty is that most states want to regulate local products themselves. The Affordable Care Act actually has a few provisions to encourage more regional and national sales of insurance, but they have not proved popular."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/01/upshot/the-problem-with-gop-plans-to-sell-health-insurance-across-state-lines.html?_r=1

Archived