Please give me some reasons for voting for Trump?

chuck norris 42

Literally the only rational reason to vote for Trump is if you think having a right-wing Supreme Court is more important than having a decent human being in the White House. It's a terrible reason, but at least it's actually a valid motivation - in marked contrast to "let's stick it to the neoliberals" (he'll sign all the far-right stuff on his desk). "he'll bring the job's back" (no he won't), "he'll kick out the brown people" (no he can't), and "he'll keep us safe with the Wall" (where to begin).

Oh, and if you sell ladders, ropes, and shovels near the Mexican border. In that case, Trump will be great for business.

I don't understand this myself. Here is what an acquitance of mine gave as a reason in the morning after the election. In my opinion most of his "arguments" can be defeated. I think most of that stuff shows that he's not good informed and has consumed some biased media. However, it's what he believed and gave as reasons. His words not mine: 

"Hillary is a terrible person and a coldhearted politician. She started wars back when she was Secretary of State (Lybia) and and enriched herself by using state money back when the state was in a financial crisis (over the last 10 years the Clintons have gained 120 millions). She symbolises the increasing gap between rich and poor better than any other person. Most of her donations probably comes from Wallstreet. So from people who were responsible for the financial crisis. We live in hard times and the establishment is responsible for it. Yesterday, we've shown that the establishment what we think of them." 

I think this shows a combinantion of different factors like being misinformed, consumating biased media, being fed up with the establishment and blaming it for all the personal difficulties. On top of that he was against things like immigration and marriage equality. He believed that his livestyle was being threatened by the an increasingly open worldview and a democratic party that tolerates or even promotes these things. In his view these things were forced on him and he wanted to show the democratic party that they can't continue with this trend. Sure none of this is really a legitimate reason and justified voting for a racist who assaults women, but this was his genuine believe and it was impossible to convince him otherwise. In my eyes there is no legitemately intelligent reason to vote for Trump (unless you are a racist, sexist, homophobe, etc.), but unfortunately many people let their fears controll them and educate themselves about politics by reading stuff that's written on Facebook or right wing news sites. 

Let me explain it in very old terms. Ignore the show Trump put on, the newfangled identity politics terms, etc. etc. -- just focus on the relationship between labor and capital or, if you prefer, the middle and working classes and the elites. In a capitalist system, this is inherently antagonistic because capital would like to cut costs and labor is one of these whereas labor wants to get paid as much as possible. For the past few decades, capital has been squeezing labor via immigration (both legal -- HB-1 and the like -- and illegal) as well as outsourcing. Both of these were aided and abetted by the government which either created laws and treaties that enabled the practices or failed to enforce existing laws that would have prohibited them. For a while, this didn't matter too much because we had the internet boom followed by the housing boom... but when the latter crashed in a big way, there wasn't enough of the pie to go around anymore.

At first, the people (who are for the most part labor) responded by electing Obama and giving Democrats sweeping majorities in Congress. Most people took "Hope and Change" to mean that he'd squeeze capital and make them share... but of course he did absolutely nothing of the sort. Capital harvested the lion's share of the recovery, the jobs that came back were nowhere as good as the ones that were lost and the Democrats' greatest achievement turned out to be a massive tax on the middle class (via insurance company premium increases) to fund insuring the poorest (with the insurance companies pocketing much of the money).

Now, along comes Trump and actually says out loud that immigration and outsourcing are costing Americans jobs. It's not quite obvious what he's going to do about it. Chances are he can't bring the jobs back because of a third force (automation) which will gobble them up as quickly as he's repatriating them. However, the Democrat alternative to Trump is an avowed neoliberal whose dream is open borders and open markets. So, while we all know the many drawbacks of Trump, he is still the best available alternative. It might have been different had the Democrats not cheated Sanders in the primary, but there's no helping that now -- Trump it is. And hey, maybe he really will get something done for the working and middle classes (FDR was also an aristocrat).

12 minutes ago, chuck norris 42 said:

Thanks for explanations how Trump should mainly thank Hillary/Obama/Failure of the democratic party for his win, , Can anyone give an example of something Trump did right?

Being a celebrity. We love TV/Movie Stars in this country, to a degree that defies logic. See Ronald Reagan, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Al Franken, Sonny Bono, etc etc.

Branding. Trump has managed to craft an image/persona of an extremely successful/capable business mogul, despite being kind of mediocre at it in an overall sense.

Painting himself as being anti-establishment, despite being a part of the machine for many years.

Shattering the PC rules that all of his opponents played by. Grabbed a fuckton of free media through soundbites.

I feel like I'm missing a couple of points, but that's all I can come up with off the top of my head. 

2 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Literally the only rational reason to vote for Trump is if you think having a right-wing Supreme Court is more important than having a decent human being in the White House.

Let's be honest here, it's not as if alternative to Trump in these elections was a decent human being, was it?

If it was, maybe we wouldn't have this many butthurt people bitching about elections' result they don't like. Very democratic, isn't it?

1 hour ago, chuck norris 42 said:

Thanks for explanations how Trump should mainly thank Hillary/Obama/Failure of the democratic party for his win, , Can anyone give an example of something Trump did right?

Sometimes you don't need to do anything right, you just need the other guy to mess up badly. This year's US presidential elections are hardly the only example that proves that.

9 minutes ago, baxus said:

Let's be honest here, it's not as if alternative to Trump in these elections was a decent human being, was it?

If it was, maybe we wouldn't have this many butthurt people bitching about elections' result they don't like. Very democratic, isn't it?

Sometimes you don't need to do anything right, you just need the other guy to mess up badly. This year's US presidential elections are hardly the only example that proves that.

Well, Trump won the Republican primaries against the party establishment. Obviously he does appeal to their voter base.

Altherion called it, pretty much.

Lot of Trump supporters where I work.  Talked back and forth with them these past months, and more with people on the route.

Main gripe was they were 'tired of working people getting screwed over by the elites,' which upon further conversation usually translated as jobs being taken by immigrants (it appears most boarders here are still in utter denial just how big that issue is,) outsourcing, and the imposition of full equality for the LGBT deal.  A lot of vets here were seriously ticked off about Clinton's email fiasco; many of them had jobs requiring security clearances in the service, and KNEW that what she did would have gotten ANYBODY else prosecuted.  In their eyes, at least, she was a traitor. 

Interestingly, at least some of them were willing to consider Sanders until he dropped out, as his positions on some of these topic kind of sort of echoed Trumps.

There were many reasons, and I think I can understand one subsection.

Now, I don't think for a moment that it applies to all Trump supporters - or even close to all - it's just another way of thinking about a group of people.

I think that some people are racist and are ashamed of this. They know that it's unfair to judge people on their appearance and ethnicity and so they keep this to themselves. Within, they harbour grudging disrespect that, for instance, a black man became president and now presumes to lead them.

But if you gave such a person a machine gun and 50 black people to either force into prison or shoot, they'd recoil in horror and stop themselves short. If you told them that just around the corner there is a person with a machine gun about to either shoot or round up black people then they'd rush around and stop it, despite their tiny misgivings.

And yet if you remove them just far enough away - say, the responsibility of rounding up black people or Muslims or Mexicans is instead something that will happen but it's out of their hands to do anything about it, things change.

Once in office, Trump can carry our their dark, shameful, desires but there's nothing they can do about it once he is in such a position.

These are obviously extreme examples, but I think that for a minority of people who voted for Trump because they're bigots, that's the sort of thing that was going on in their heads: they would never carry our their racism, but kind of hope that somebody else will on their (secret) behalf.

Archived