Marvel cancels Inhumans movie in favor of 2017 TV show

Bastard of Boston

22 minutes ago, mormont said:

Seems unlikely. That would be a heck of a lot of expensive underwater shooting. And it doesn't really fit with the basis of MS's speculations, which is that he's heard Namor might be changed to be an Inhuman.

Most likely the rumour MS heard concerns the comics.

it sounds more like a comics thing. wasn't namor labelled as one of the first mutants at some point? If MCU has Namor then I'm sure they'll remove the mutant thing (like they did with scarlett witch and quicksilver). Puts Namor in an awkward position given he was hanging out with the X-men and fighting for the cause and how mutants and inhumans don't get along.

53 minutes ago, red snow said:

it sounds more like a comics thing. wasn't namor labelled as one of the first mutants at some point? If MCU has Namor then I'm sure they'll remove the mutant thing (like they did with scarlett witch and quicksilver). Puts Namor in an awkward position given he was hanging out with the X-men and fighting for the cause and how mutants and inhumans don't get along.

He's often described as such, yeah. He's half mutant human half atlantean I believe. But since there are mutants like Apocalypse and Selene around from ancient history, he clearly isn't the first.

It would be a weird thing though, but Namor's shifting allegiance can be easily hand-waved by how much of a douche he is. He's often used as a catalyst for whatever the writers want.

• 1 month later...

After the Royal Family of Inhumans is splintered by a military coup, they barely escape to Hawaii where their surprising interactions with the lush world and humanity around them may prove to not only save them, but Earth itself.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/04/the-inhumans-new-synopsis.html

I can't be the only one who thinks that sounds like it has the potential to be really lame and even sitcom-y? Like I really hope we don't get a fancy action packed space adventure IMAX pilot and then switch to a "fish out of water" show about the royal family adapting to life in Hawaii while fighting crime. 

So is this putting them outside both the MCU and the tangentially connected AoS? I guess sequester them in Hawaii and we can pretend they are in the same continuity, but the show can act as if they are not.

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/04/the-inhumans-new-synopsis.html

I can't be the only one who thinks that sounds like it has the potential to be really lame and even sitcom-y? Like I really hope we don't get a fancy action packed space adventure IMAX pilot and then switch to a "fish out of water" show about the royal family adapting to life in Hawaii while fighting crime. 

It would certainly make for a dull cinema event. I wonder if they will have Attilan in space or as some hidden away location on Earth that gets destroyed in the IMAX release?

6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

That sounds like the worst possible interpretation of an Inhumans show they could possibly have come up with.

Having the guy that was in charge of Iron Fist also in charge of this is the worst possible choice the show's producers could have made.

13 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Having the guy that was in charge of Iron Fist also in charge of this is the worst possible choice the show's producers could have made.

I didn't know that. Damn. I think we still need to remember that's the guy who produced the final seasons of Dexter as well.

14 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Ugh I did not know that either. I looked him up and oddly he also wrote the Six Feet Under episode That's my Dog. Though it's been so long I don't remember the episode that well, just that it was shocking and disturbing. The dialogue could have been shit for all I remember. 

In other news:

Agents of SHIELD boss casts doubt on crossover with Marvel's Inhumans series

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I want to take a few moments just to appreciate how very, very bad these costumes look. I mean bad.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/04/marvel-inhumans-photo-abc/

Can't really see much of the Gorgon costume, to be fair, except the cloak, which is fine. The Karnak outfit is not very practical for a martial artist to wear but seems otherwise inoffensive. Crystal, I appreciate the comics accuracy of including the pointless weird black hair things, but... the rest is just kinda street clothes with a weird green leather bit? Maximus is just wearing black so you might think it's hard to screw that up, and you'd be right, except that then we get to Black Bolt. Oh dear. Taking away the headpiece and adding what appear to be coat-tails just messes that whole thing up. Tuning fork or GTFO.

And then... there's Medusa. Just, no. No. Not on any level does that work. I hope to hell that wig is just a placeholder and her hair is going to be entirely CGI. It has to be, right? They can't be planning to put that on screen as it is. And the dress, wow. Those shoulders. The shoulders. Comics Medusa has had some poor outfits but that...

There are pictures of cosplayers is shitty convention hall lighting that look infinitely better than this crap. That photo just screams "canceled after four episodes". This photo along with the fact that the showrunner is the same guy behind Iron Fist are pretty much all I need to know. To be fair, I had little interest anyway. I don't like AoS and don't care for how they have approched inhumans. I like the inhumans because of how weird and insular they are, I don't like them as Marvel's bargain bin mutants.

The female costumes are definitely the worst offenders - Medusa's is just outlandish like some kind of Vulcan party dress, and Crystal looks too normal. I also agree that Karnak looks like he'd have trouble sitting down in his costume, let alone partake in martial arts. I agree that the hair will be (or should be) CGI the whole time. If it were a movie budget I'd expect the hair to be moving all the time.

Should be easy for cosplayers who can't be arsed to mimic them though.

Call me crazy...? I don't think the picture is that bad. Sure, I'm not exactly amped about anything I see in it, but all it does is make me think I'll continue to wait for a trailer.

Black Bolt would be fixed by adding a mask/crown. Medusa's hair is the only other "wart."

It doesn't bother me that the clothing looks "regular." These are the royals. I don't think it's a pre-req for them to look like they're in costumes...just more modern versions of fashions we see on Game of Thrones.

Jury is still out for me.

31 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Am I the only one who kinda hopes this fails so Marvel can stop trying to phase out the X-Men in favor of these guys?

In terms of live action? They have no choice. They will never be able to use mutants, so hoping this fails for that reason, IMO, is misplaced.

Marvel has come around, comic-wise, in terms of the recent X-Men relaunch. Inhumans were sent to space.

36 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

In terms of live action? They have no choice. They will never be able to use mutants, so hoping this fails for that reason, IMO, is misplaced.

Marvel has come around, comic-wise, in terms of the recent X-Men relaunch. Inhumans were sent to space.

Was thinking of comics, mainly. The way they were shoving X-Men and FF aside to promote MCU properties makes sense in a boardroom, but creatively it's like cutting off your left hand because you wish you were right handed.

Man.... Only Broadcast television could fuck up a Marvel property... "Hey, even though Agents of Shield was almost cancelled until we tied it in with the movies...  hey.... lets treat the new show like we did the old one in the beginning, because that's the standard TV formula we've been using since Gilligans Island"

On 4/10/2017 at 1:05 PM, RumHam said:

This doesn't make sense to me.  AOS has basically made the Inhumans a major plot device for the last 2 seasons. How could a show centered on Inhumans not tie into AOS? Of course, they've made the Inhumans such a big thing, that it doesn't make sense that the Avengers would ignore the issue, so continuity seems nebulous at best.

Archived