Marvel cancels Inhumans movie in favor of 2017 TV show

Bastard of Boston

13 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Am I the only one who kinda hopes this fails so Marvel can stop trying to phase out the X-Men in favor of these guys?

They never had the X-men so can't phase them out in terms of MCU. It's understandable they'd try and develop a proxy though.

In terms of X-men on TV that seems to be coming along nicely with the success of Legion and the development of a show that sounds even more closely like an X-men show.

13 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Was thinking of comics, mainly. The way they were shoving X-Men and FF aside to promote MCU properties makes sense in a boardroom, but creatively it's like cutting off your left hand because you wish you were right handed.

This is where it is stupid. Thankfully (or unfortunately if you've enjoyed their recent output), Marvel's comics sales are a dire shambles at the moment - it's more the number and frequency of books that gives them market share than having books that sell well. This has led them to rethink their general approach and trying to save their flagship franchise is already paying off. While it's nice to have synergy with the MCU they can do that and have the X-men doing well (particulalry with Logan and Legion suggesting an upturn in quality from Fox). They even have Shadowking as a prominent villain in one of their new X-books. This may also be due to Marvel having a better deal and role in the TV shows than they do with the Fox films.

6 hours ago, HokieStone said:

This doesn't make sense to me.  AOS has basically made the Inhumans a major plot device for the last 2 seasons. How could a show centered on Inhumans not tie into AOS? Of course, they've made the Inhumans such a big thing, that it doesn't make sense that the Avengers would ignore the issue, so continuity seems nebulous at best.

Isn't the problem that the SHIELD Inhumans are the X-men substitutes and not the royal family? They are two very different versions of the Inhumans (essentially like trying to equate the X-men with classice Inhumans). If the Royals are the focus of this show then I can see why they'd shy away from the SHIELD ones. However it does seem massively confusing for the audience.

Need to keep in mind this was going to be a movie at one point which would have automatically meant ignoring anything developed in SHIELD.

Also, didn't SHIELD completely abandon the Inhumans storyline once this show was announced? I don't watch SHIELD so have no idea.

Still agree with the general sentiment that Scott Buck's involvement is the biggest worry. Iron Fist is a good example of how he doesn't seem to know how to extract  the essence from a comic property. Hopefully it means he won't be involved with Iron Fist season 2 if that ever happens

35 minutes ago, red snow said:

Also, didn't SHIELD completely abandon the Inhumans storyline once this show was announced? I don't watch SHIELD so have no idea.

In a way the Inhumans was never just a storyline in AoS, it's their entire arc. This current season is the first that has introduced any plots that don't revolve around them (Ghost Rider and the Framework). But they're still in it, and it's still portrayed as a global issue that these people exist. That's why it bugged me that Luke Cage asked Jessica Jones "do you think there's others like us?" ...... I'm not looking for crossovers, just consistency. People keep mentioning this 'royal' distinction, but I assume they're still basically descended from those intended to be Kree soldiers? Otherwise why the name at all? And I find it hard to imagine they don't care at all about other Inhumans or the general plight of Inhumans that they've built up in AoS. Hopefully they're just trying to distinguish it from a spin off, but there'll still be an internal consistency. I mean they're on the same network.

On 11/16/2016 at 2:22 PM, SerPaladin said:

All I want is a giant bulldog with a tuning fork on its head. I don't ask for much.

Lockjaw!

I enjoyed the Inhumans as comics characters in my youth.  I don't think they'll make it as a TV series though.  A super-powered royal family running amok in costumes.  And Iwan Rheon cast as someone who betrays his family - how original.  

On 4/9/2017 at 3:53 PM, RumHam said:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2017/04/the-inhumans-new-synopsis.html

I can't be the only one who thinks that sounds like it has the potential to be really lame and even sitcom-y? Like I really hope we don't get a fancy action packed space adventure IMAX pilot and then switch to a "fish out of water" show about the royal family adapting to life in Hawaii while fighting crime. 

Personally, I would pay good money to see Black Bolt in a Hawaiian shirt.

26 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

In a way the Inhumans was never just a storyline in AoS, it's their entire arc. This current season is the first that has introduced any plots that don't revolve around them (Ghost Rider and the Framework). But they're still in it, and it's still portrayed as a global issue that these people exist. That's why it bugged me that Luke Cage asked Jessica Jones "do you think there's others like us?" ...... I'm not looking for crossovers, just consistency. People keep mentioning this 'royal' distinction, but I assume they're still basically descended from those intended to be Kree soldiers? Otherwise why the name at all? And I find it hard to imagine they don't care at all about other Inhumans or the general plight of Inhumans that they've built up in AoS. Hopefully they're just trying to distinguish it from a spin off, but there'll still be an internal consistency. I mean they're on the same network.

Well, the Inhumans are a pretty huge part of the Framework arc - i.e. what happens in the Framework reality very much revolves around the Inhumans and how people feel about them (and ties strongly into an old plot involving an Inhuman that was revealed in season 2). 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

LOL, no. I don't know what gave you that idea. Inhumans are such an integral part of AoS that that wouldn't even be possible, what with the fact that one of their central characters - arguably the central character - is an Inhuman. In addition to that, not only are Daisy and one of the prominent recurring characters (Elena) Inhumans, but while the story of season 4 does't fully revolve around Inhumans and doesn't have a Big Bad who's an Inhuman, unlike seasons 2 and 3,  the issue of Inhumans and the way they are integrated (or not) into the society and the way people react to them is a running theme throughout the season and plays a role in all arcs. In fact, some of the villains in season 4 are anti-Inhuman groups (the Watchdogs, anti-Inhuman hate group, who were first introduced in late season 3, play a more prominent role as antagonists in season 4).

And yes, they are very much used as Mutant replacements, with the same minority alegories. Not to mention, Jiaying was AoS' Magneto, and Hive was Apocalypse more than he was comics!Hive (and AoS did that miles better than X-Men: Apocalypse did).

I think it must have been all the season 4 promo articles highlighting Ghost Rider and claiming it was a new direction that lead me to think the Inhumans weren't in play anymore. Like, I said, I don't watch the show.

With that in mind the "mutant" inhumans are regular folk who've only recently turned into Inhumans while the Royal Inhumans are a culture that for many generations have had a culture of being exposed to the mists as young adults. The former is all about regular people dealing with powers while the Royal ones are from a culture that revolves around and is fully accepting of their powers. So they are quite different.

In terms of the show are the Inhumans regular people with powers that are essentially reflective of human culture or do they come from an entirely different culture?As long as one group come from their own insular world (the tv show Inhumans) and the others don't there's reason for them being distinct. But it would be very clumsy for SHIELD and Inhumans to never acknowledge the other doesn't exist.

From what folk are saying I can understand DaveSumm's frustration at the Netflix show acting like they are unique. Really, the inhumans sound like they'd provide an opportunity for their heroes to face off against people who aren't the Hand or rich.

From what I can tell, the Marvel approach to interconnected continuity between the movies and the various TV shows is simply to leave it as ambiguous as possible. Allusions are fine but direct references are rare and guest appearances rarer. At the same time, nothing is ever really ruled out. It might all be in the same continuity, though that sometimes seems a stretch: or, it might not. They seem to see no reason ever to make their minds up, which might drive the continuity nuts among us insane, but likely makes the most business sense.

I'm not bothered about the single photo, doesn't even look that bad.

More interested in making some sort of judgement when we see a trailer.

Medusa's hair is being done as CGI apparently, same as Lockjaw.

I like the look of Black Bolt and Maximus characters in this photo.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

With that in mind the "mutant" inhumans are regular folk who've only recently turned into Inhumans while the Royal Inhumans are a culture that for many generations have had a culture of being exposed to the mists as young adults. The former is all about regular people dealing with powers while the Royal ones are from a culture that revolves around and is fully accepting of their powers. So they are quite different.

I've never read a single comic with the Inhumans (not much of a comic reader, period).  I'd never even heard of the Inhumans before they showed up on AoS - so I think for people like me, it will be confusing to have "Inhumans" on one show, and "Inhumans" on another show, and there seemingly be no connection between them.  I suppose they can mitigate that with some good exposition in the first episode or two...we'll see.

9 hours ago, HokieStone said:

I've never read a single comic with the Inhumans (not much of a comic reader, period).  I'd never even heard of the Inhumans before they showed up on AoS - so I think for people like me, it will be confusing to have "Inhumans" on one show, and "Inhumans" on another show, and there seemingly be no connection between them.  I suppose they can mitigate that with some good exposition in the first episode or two...we'll see.

I suspect there are far more viewers of the show who haven't read the comics than those who haven't. In which case it does seem like a problem for the new show.

Is that supposed to be Gorgon? And Karnak looks so wrong. *sigh* I was hoping it'd look more like a si-fi show with the Inhumans actually looking, ya know, inhuman--alien. Also...

On 5/5/2017 at 4:35 PM, Kalbear said:

Gods does Medusa look so very bad.

Yes. That wig is a fail. Like, first X-Men film Storm level fail.

On 5/5/2017 at 11:39 AM, HokieStone said:

Oh, you gots to read INHUMANS by Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee. It was my first real intro to the Inhumans and it's a dark and interesting intro into the royal family. Also, it was written before all this Marvel Now reboot garbage where the Inhumans books basically start to become as convoluted as the X-men.

Archived