Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

21 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

So much this. There are times, like the decision to cut Aegon out or move Sansa North, I can somewhat understand (even though the Sansa thing was a debacle.) This stuff - getting a simple prop dragonhorn and executing this storyline - I mean, it beats me why they don't do such obvious things and instead choose to make every character act inconsistent and moronic.

It's quite clear from their writing process that they write only with the intent of shock, battles, spectacle and to give prominence to a few  characters (Cersei, Jon, Dany) not with an intent of plot or storytelling coherence. You can see that from the way characters are totally wasted -  see Dorne, the Stark kids, Euron, even Tyrion, etc. I think they sat down for Season 7, wondered how to squeeze in as many battles, dragons and ice zombies as possible, and throw in an evil but super competent villain (reminds you of Ramsay, anyone?) and a romance between the two hot leads (executed so cheesily and badly that it seems like something lifted from fanfiction.) 

They've gone full Hollywood Fast-and-Furious movie kind of route. Snazzy action, badly developed romance, clear cut baddies and heroes, etc. Which is fine - this stuff brings in the moolah. What is ridiculous is that GOT tries to dress itself up as some big-time quality storytelling, which it's not. It's simply brainless popcorn entertainment, unfortunately posing as a classic. 

Yesss.

And the big irony of this is that by becoming this, they've become the opposite of what they've claimed to be: different.

The've also become the opposite of the books in that regard. 

4 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

not confirmed I think!

Good.

Is it confirmed that Jon and Dany will have sex and that this will be on a boat? 

12 minutes ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

Yesss.

And the big irony of this is that by becoming this, they've become the opposite of what they've claimed to be: different.

The've also become the opposite of the books in that regard. 

Good.

Is it confirmed that Jon and Dany will have sex and that this will be on a boat? 

no anything of these has been confirmed

So basically everyone and their mother are now on Team Power Couple (henceforth, TPC). This reads like very bad fanfic even to this show-only person, aka me. Everyone loves our heroes, just as they should! It's like the Justice League, but with tits and dragons and zombies! And it's so nice that genius St Tyrion tells Dany that when she attacks a city, many innocent people will die. Gee, who would've guessed? Certainly not this well-educated woman who has sacked quite a few cities by now...

I am trying to see this leaked information objectively.  I notice a pattern of accurate leaks from lads coming from the south. These shooting locations have hundreds, if not thousands of individuals who are connected, or know people connected to filming.  they also can find out who is filming through travel schedules. Production anticipates a certain amount of credible leaks to come out, even if it from a friend of a friend. I even believe that production can almost use this situation as an opportunity for trolling later on, as they gave us confirmation of a wight in the dragon pit.  Even these basic credible leaks have cracks in accuracy but I feel that posters who believe the leaker have such a certainty in their conviction and belief in Lads that the inconsistencies are explained away or dismissed entirely. Reading these leaks I get the sense of a diminishing connection between Jon and his Stark family and at the same time, an emphasis on bonding and "googly eyed stares' between Jon and Dany.  And then we the epic boat sex in the finale. Promoters of Lads can say that Lads wasn't asked specific questions about Jon and the Starks but we can also say that Lads wasn't asked about "googly eyed stares and bonding time"  either.  But he or she threw those leaks in anyway.  This infers some subjectivity on the part of Lads. What was particularly disconcerting to me was the leak when Jon found out ARya and Bran were in Winterfell and the absence of any emotional response from Jon.  This is way out of character for Jon.  But again, believers can justify this by stating Lads was never asked so that is why. Also the way Sansa was described as vindictive.  The lack of any emotional ties to the Stark siblings basically wipes out 6 seasons of anticipated reunions in favor of googly eyes and bonding.  But to keep it real, Lads is reporting on scenes that weren't even filmed yet so how does he or she really know the actor's emotional reaction?  The answer is, he doesn't.  I think it is wise to keep an open mind about this stuff otherwise, if you believe it as if it is gospel, and we are being trolled as I suspect, then people will be stunned to such a level that GOT fans have never experienced before.  HBO would love that.

13 minutes ago, Lover of the North said:

I am trying to see this leaked information objectively.  I notice a pattern of accurate leaks from lads coming from the south. These shooting locations have hundreds, if not thousands of individuals who are connected, or know people connected to filming.  they also can find out who is filming through travel schedules. Production anticipates a certain amount of credible leaks to come out, even if it from a friend of a friend. I even believe that production can almost use this situation as an opportunity for trolling later on, as they gave us confirmation of a wight in the dragon pit.  Even these basic credible leaks have cracks in accuracy but I feel that posters who believe the leaker have such a certainty in their conviction and belief in Lads that the inconsistencies are explained away or dismissed entirely. Reading these leaks I get the sense of a diminishing connection between Jon and his Stark family and at the same time, an emphasis on bonding and "googly eyed stares' between Jon and Dany.  And then we the epic boat sex in the finale. Promoters of Lads can say that Lads wasn't asked specific questions about Jon and the Starks but we can also say that Lads wasn't asked about "googly eyed stares and bonding time"  either.  But he or she threw those leaks in anyway.  This infers some subjectivity on the part of Lads. What was particularly disconcerting to me was the leak when Jon found out ARya and Bran were in Winterfell and the absence of any emotional response from Jon.  This is way out of character for Jon.  But again, believers can justify this by stating Lads was never asked so that is why. Also the way Sansa was described as vindictive.  The lack of any emotional ties to the Stark siblings basically wipes out 6 seasons of anticipated reunions in favor of googly eyes and bonding.  But to keep it real, Lads is reporting on scenes that weren't even filmed yet so how does he or she really know the actor's emotional reaction?  The answer is, he doesn't.  I think it is wise to keep an open mind about this stuff otherwise, if you believe it as if it is gospel, and we are being trolled as I suspect, then people will be stunned to such a level that GOT fans have never experienced before.  HBO would love that.

I doubt most of the people who have posted in this thread believe  that everything in the leaks is true and I know that at least some of the other posters have stated in other threads that they don't believe everything in the leaks. Which parts of the leaks could be true has been discussed in other threads. I personally think that a lot of it is BS, but a few things of it have been confirmed. 

However, this is an Rant& Rave without Repercussions thread the purpossive of which according to Ran is "discussing things you dislike about the show". So we just rant & rave about the stuff that has been confirmed, say how bad some stuff would be if it turns out to be true (which is unlikely with some things and more likely with others) and sometimes throw in our normal ciriticism of the show. 

8 hours ago, Lady of Whisperers said:

However, this is an Rant& Rave without Repercussions thread the purpossive of which according to Ran is "discussing things you dislike about the show". So we just rant & rave about the stuff that has been confirmed, say how bad some stuff would be if it turns out to be true (which is unlikely with some things and more likely with others) and sometimes throw in our normal ciriticism of the show. 

We did the same time last year: discussing about spoilers and about possible things might happen in the following season. 

And IIRC our speculation was in some ways less worst than the things happening in season 6. @Little Scribe of Naath It might be interesting to put Ran's usual disclaimer in the beginning of the topic in your OP?

@Tijgy I edited the OP to include it.

@Lover of the North Sadly, the major prominence in the show is given only to a few characters -  the Lannisters, Dany and Jon. The showrunners have never cared much about the Stark kids so I'm not holding out much hope for them; even though you're right that Lads may not have known the Northern storyline/ might have added some stuff himself.

I suspect we might get a few touching reunion scenes.....the rest of the season for them looks bad however. Essentially LF tries to play Sansa v/s Arya in a lame way (even though, all the action is happening south and that's what LF ideally should be interested in) and then I could imagine some even more idiotic sequence where Bran has a series of visions seeing what LF has done and then tells Sansa, resulting in Arya finally killing him. The whole thing is an insult to the abilities and intelligence of all three characters involved. 

On Jon not having an emotional reaction, I don't know. Set photos indicate that Arya will be in Winterfell in time to meet Jon; so basically Jon may or may not have any emotional reaction learning of Bran's existence. Coming from this show, I'm totally not surprised at all.

12 minutes ago, Little Scribe of Naath said:

On Jon not having an emotional reaction, I don't know. Set photos indicate that Arya will be in Winterfell in time to meet Jon; so basically Jon may or may not have any emotional reaction learning of Bran's existence. Coming from this show, I'm totally not surprised at all.

I t doesn't mean anything. Jon isn't known for showing many emotions:ph34r: He is either gloomy or concerned or both.

Back to business. I suspect that Arya can use someone's face and hang out in disgues in WF for a while to reveal herself later.

20 hours ago, kg1982 said:

It seems like the only people who are happy with the craptastic plot for the season are big Dany fans.  Can someone please tell me why exactly this is the case?  I think that the leaks make her seem like a bitch.  

I don't think any true book Dany fan will genuinely like show Dany. They stripped her of any nuances she had and she was this way since the second season. No not every Dany fan want an easy victory against bad villains. Not every Dany fan want her to get into a relationship with Jon. Not every Dany fan likes her allying with sand fakes. I am a huge Dany fan and I feel the show writers didn't do enough justice to her true character. I will still cheer for her in the show if she succeeds but only because it means her book counterpart will too.

38 minutes ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

I t doesn't mean anything. Jon isn't known for showing many emotions:ph34r: He is either gloomy or concerned or both.

Back to business. I suspect that Arya can use someone's face and hang out in disgues in WF for a while to reveal herself later.

Kit isn't that nuanced as an actor although he has gotten better so that is why.  However, I will give both Sophie and Kit kudos for the Jon-Sansa reunion which was emotional.

1 minute ago, khal drogon said:

I don't think any true book Dany fan will genuinely like show Dany. They stripped her of any nuances she had and she was this way since the second season. No not every Dany fan want an easy victory against bad villains. Not every Dany fan want her to get into a relationship with Jon. Not every Dany fan likes her allying with sand fakes. I am a huge Dany fan and I feel the show writers didn't do any justice to her true character. I will still cheer for her in the show if she succeeds but only because it means her book counterpart will too.

Agreed.  It is not all Dany fans but perhaps show Dany fans who see her as some feminist heroine or something.

32 minutes ago, kg1982 said:

Agreed.  It is not all Dany fans but perhaps show Dany fans who see her as some feminist heroine or something.

I don't really know how the show only fans feel about her. May be they are so excited that she is finally in Westeros which we have waited for so long. But I don't know how they felt about her arc last season. I think her characterization was terrible in season 6. She acted wildly inconsistent so much that she never felt like a real character at all. It all looked like they wanted to rush to get her to Westeros as soon as possible and the cliff-notes version made her look so one-dimensional. If they really liked that version I am worried about the fandom.

On 11/16/2016 at 2:30 PM, Meera of Tarth said:

If the pregnancy happens I will make the biggest rant ever

why is no one talking more of this?  It could be a mega shock to the story.  They wont want her to drink moon tea because it is their LAST chance for a child together.... but that will also invalidate her on the throne and leave a void in the ENTIRE kingdom as to "WHO RULES"?

27 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

why is no one talking more of this?  It could be a mega shock to the story.  They wont want her to drink moon tea because it is their LAST chance for a child together.... but that will also invalidate her on the throne and leave a void in the ENTIRE kingdom as to "WHO RULES"?

Yes, I don't like it because I love Jaime and he deserves a better plot, but the real point here is: why should Cersei want to stop drinking moon tea???? I really don't like this!

On 11/16/2016 at 9:11 PM, Lover of the North said:

It seems like lads is a big Jonerys fan (although it seems odd that a 40-something guy would be rooting for a certain coupling.) Also, both Jon and Dany come off horrible in the leaks so I am not sure why a fan of either character would be okay with their actions.  According to the leaks, Dany supposedly holds Jon and Davos hostage on Dragonstone.  This doesn't appear to be the case but it is still odd that the guy was okay with this characterization of Dany's actions if he likes the character.

Spoiler

As for the assorted spoilers, there is a bit of everything today. Perhaps the most expected development our sources could confirm for us is that Jorah goes to Oldtown. Looking for a cure, Jorah will meet Sam at the Citadel. Sam will help Jorah once he learns he is the son of Sam’s former Lord Commander, the Old Bear Jeor Mormont.
Our sources reveal the three Stark siblings will reunite —That is: Sansa, Arya and Bran. Just as I’m sure we’re all itching to witness, it will all be quite happy and emotional… For a while. There will be conflict between Sansa and Arya. Their life experiences have been poles apart since they last saw each other, and sharing them would help them sympathize and understand each other… Yet they won’t, at least not initially. Upon noticing this sisterly split, Littlefinger will jump at the chance to take advantage.

http://watchersonthewall.com/game-thrones-film-weeks-wolf-hill-major-northern-oldtown-spoilers/

Still shocked that all that shit is actually happening. They truly are the George Lucas' of Television.

Archived