Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

I keep wondering WHY in-show Cersei would keep her pageboy bob. One of the annoying things about this presentation from the beginning has been these awful elaborate hairstyles (think Sansa's Purple Wedding Medusa look, or Cersei in Winterfell), which require long hair. All female characters save Brienne and TitSnake have longish hair. But Cersei post Walk is going to keep that 'do she got courtesy of Salon de Sparrow? They could have given the actress gradually longer wigs and actually SHOWN time progression... But the show doesn't care about that, or lil Sam would be walking and talking by now.

7 hours ago, TepidHands said:

I keep wondering WHY in-show Cersei would keep her pageboy bob. One of the annoying things about this presentation from the beginning has been these awful elaborate hairstyles (think Sansa's Purple Wedding Medusa look, or Cersei in Winterfell), which require long hair. All female characters save Brienne and TitSnake have longish hair. But Cersei post Walk is going to keep that 'do she got courtesy of Salon de Sparrow? They could have given the actress gradually longer wigs and actually SHOWN time progression... But the show doesn't care about that, or lil Sam would be walking and talking by now.

Yes, I had thought that maybe she does it to appear less feminine because now she is the usurper by fear claim, and she has always wanted to be like a man (now she has the opportunity).

But given it was a public humiliation she should grow it at least until it covers her shoulders. In Westeros women have long hair, very long in her case, so it's not very normal, especially after the fact they cut it. And they are now dead because she killed them. It's another plothole from the show. Unless it's that they want to show her "masculinity", but still, it's very short.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/12/2016 at 10:09 AM, Meera of Tarth said:

Yes, I had thought that maybe she does it to appear less feminine because now she is the usurper by fear claim, and she has always wanted to be like a man (now she has the opportunity).

But given it was a public humiliation she should grow it at least until it covers her shoulders. In Westeros women have long hair, very long in her case, so it's not very normal, especially after the fact they cut it. And they are now dead because she killed them. It's another plothole from the show. Unless it's that they want to show her "masculinity", but still, it's very short.

If GoT was fair Dinkum then season 7 would open with Cersei in the black Cells awaiting trial for blowing up Baelors Sept and the Tyrell and Lannister armies would  be at war for control of KL, but alas D$D have destroyed any semblance of the politics, or primogeniture or Kinslaying or basically anything that originally attratcted me to the show so apparently Cersei gets to be queen with 1 week old hairdo that the faith gave her" its Weisserhoff for gods sake so anything goes!

1 hour ago, Neds Secret said:

If GoT was fair Dinkum then season 7 would open with Cersei in the black Cells awaiting trial for blowing up Baelors Sept and the Tyrell and Lannister armies would  be at war for control of KL, but alas D$D have destroyed any semblance of the politics, or primogeniture or Kinslaying or basically anything that originally attratcted me to the show so apparently Cersei gets to be queen with 1 week old hairdo that the faith gave her" its Weisserhoff for gods sake so anything goes!

Let's not forget her army loves her and is more powerful than Dany's army (6 seasons of Dothdraki forces, Unsullied, dragons, etc).

5 hours ago, The Knight in Motley said:

If they had killed the SandSnakes and left Doran alive they'd have to have an intelligent political plot for him.  Rather obvious they went with tits and dragons instead.

the That and they should have cast his heir Arianne Martell to carry the Dornish plot and a couple of other book characters they left out that are related to them.

5 hours ago, A Ghost of Someone said:

the That and they should have cast his heir Arianne Martell to carry the Dornish plot and a couple of other book characters they left out that are related to them.

But we needed screen time for Olly, and Tyrions cock jokes that he "drinks and knows" and the finger anal rape scene and we needed the hounds new friends slaughtered by the people that protect the small folk in the books. When D$D pack 40 mins of show into 60 min weekly  allotments then we obviously have no time for politics or true feudal inheritance practices FFS!

26 minutes ago, Neds Secret said:

But we needed screen time for Olly, and Tyrions cock jokes that he "drinks and knows" and the finger anal rape scene and we needed the hounds new friends slaughtered by the people that protect the small folk in the books. When D$D pack 40 mins of show into 60 min weekly  allotments then we obviously have no time for politics or true feudal inheritance practices FFS!

Weren't you dramatically satisfied with these scenes?

They clearly make GoT the best show on TV right now. 

Have you guys seen the WiC article about the Season 6 commentary? 

http://winteriscoming.net/2016/12/26/we-review-all-the-commentaries-on-the-game-of-thrones-season-6-home-boxset/

Podeswa about the Melisandre reveal in Episode 1: 

“It really is all about character. It’s not really about just doing something for shock value, but seeing who Melisandre really is. This revelation is so important to her character and understanding her retrospectively, what she’s done in the past and what she’s about to do in the future.” He’s clearly proud of this sequence.

It's not about shock...sure...I totally believe that...not..

BTW this scene won the Carol Award in the "What was the point of that?" category. 

In the Episode 5 commentary:

• According to Abæk, Euron doesn’t have an eye patch, as in the books, because Benioff and Weiss thought it was a silly idea. Also, apparently there’re a couple of lines from Euron to Theon that got cut.

D&D believe they improve GRRM's work again...

In the Season 6 commentary:

• According to Bender, actor Joseph Mawle knew tons of information about his character, Benjen Stark. That was helpful, because the actual script didn’t give him a lot to go on.

And another case where the scripts don't give the actors a lot of information about their characters. How many of these cases did we have already? 

Stephen Dillande admitting that he didn't understand Stannis from the script. 

Sophie Turner admitting that the writers didnt't tell he why Sansa kept the KotV secret from Jon. 

The actresses of the Sandsnakes apparently spend more time thinking about the dynamic between their characters than the writers did..

And so on..

Also in the Season 6 commentary

In the original script, Gilly was supposed to be at ease in the scene where she walks out in a dress for the first time. Murray convinced showrunner Dan Weiss that that wasn’t realistic given Gilly’s lifetime of wearing brown sacks and flats, so we got her memorably awkward walk.

And the writers just forgot that wildlings aren't used to wearing fancy dresses.

In the Episode 7 commentary:

Cogman admits that the Brother Ray character was a blend of a couple different characters Brienne meets in A Feast for Crows, which we figured. Interestingly, he also says that, while it’s hinted that the Hound is still alive in the books, they weren’t sure where George R.R. Martin was going to take it. 

So, they don't even know the Hound's fates. So, I guess this confirms again, that GRRM only gave them some very general information like the fates of the main charactes and a plotpoints that happen in between. 

Cogman on the book-show relationship: “We’ve essentially adapted the first five books…

No, you didn't essentially adapt the first five books. Season 5 wasn't something like a proper adaptation of AFFC and ADWD.

Cogman calls Brother Ray’s speech to his followers “a bit of a paraphrasing version” of a speech from the books,

Why didn't you use the book version, Cogman? 

2 hours ago, Neds Secret said:

Oh, and Mel-Worm too. Yeah, Arianne was too perfect for these guys and they did not have her there. I would have thought they would jump at the chance to cast her etc.

17 hours ago, The Knight in Motley said:

If they had killed the SandSnakes and left Doran alive they'd have to have an intelligent political plot for him.  Rather obvious they went with tits and dragons instead.

What I would have given for an Aero Hotah execution. I would have made it like Aerys Oakheart's suicide charge in the books.

On 12/18/2016 at 11:12 AM, TepidHands said:

BTS featurettes once mentioned that Cersei doesn't care what the people in the Red Keep think of her, which is why she usually just wears her hair down. She doesn't dress up and do her hair for small council meetings, for instance, because she genuinely doesn't give a fuck what someone like Pycelle thinks of her and her appearance. So I guess she left it as is because she doesn't care, and because the hairstyle is the least of her problem. 

Also there's an element of like "battle scars" to the hair that I like. I mean, I don't like the hairstyle, but I like that it's almost a physical reminder of her ordeal with the Faith. 

The Tyrion "leak"

Ok, what do you think it's happening here? I see Tyrion with a cloak, and dragons in the background breathing fire out, at the same exact moment he says "an important thing" to everyone.

if true) is this another Super Big Four moment? In this case, Tyrion's? I mean, dragons are under his control???? How can it be possible? What's the speech about?mmm anyone can guess???? I mean, it has to be important, there is fire in the background and dragons love him!!!!!

if not true) the leaks are laughable, at least.

//Glossary: Big 4: Cersei, Jon and Dany (aka known as Jonerys) and  Tyrion =aka the only ones GOT cares about....(and leaks care about)

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 7:58 AM, Lady of Whisperers said:

Hey, I'm back after a long absence.

....yeah I saw that.  What I'm disturbed about is that they admitted that Lyanna Mormont giving the King in the North speech was a late rewrite, to show off the actress due to how well she was doing.  Originally she wasn't even in the episode.  Well, no, let me rephrase that:  if it was the same speech and another character delivered it, no problem......but did they cut out the whole "the North Remembers" thing....purely so they could have a "moment" of Lyanna admonishing the other lords?  Just to show off Bella Ramsey, the actress?

I don't know, and there's other points when I grapple with this back and forth, and other points to indicate it might not have been THAT big of a sudden decision.

I anticipate that they'll show off Lyanna Mormont more in Season 7, but I'm actually fine with that:  PLANNING the ones you show off in advance is fine, the last minute rewrites come off as kind of clunky.  Also good to you know, show off a female political ruler for once.

****Also regarding commentary:  what surprised me most, with bitter irony, is that the director of the Braavos play episodes thought that the play was....an uncomfortably accurate criticism of things the show does.  Like, it has fart humor in it right after they had a Pycelle fart joke.  And he told the writers about this, and asked if they were comfortable with such candid self-criticism....yet they insisted to him that it was a *mockery* of groundless criticisms that the TV show doesn't deserve.  So like, even their production staff were looking at it and saying "these are very accurate criticisms, to the point this is uncomfortable" but the writers themselves didn't see it. 

I'm not really sure if there's anything from the Season 7 leaks I outright hate yet - I mean, some things can look weird but make sense in context and some good ideas can end up looking pretty bad in the finished product.  The Reach/Highgarden stuff surprised me a little though they *might* explain that in context.  Any further presence of Ellaria is laughable, as confirmed in set photos, though we don't know if it's them pandering their favorite Sand Snakes again, or really just all of 2 minutes to finish off the characters - just to wrap up the storyline.  We have no idea how much weight is being applied to any of these. 

The parts I was really let down by across Seasons 5 and 6 were "Dorne" and "The North" (including Brienne until she left the North, and Jon the instant his Night's Watch storyline ended with his assassination).  With Ramsay dead I don't know if they'll "move on" in some fashion from that, though Sansa as a character is ruined and just doing whatever they think makes her sound cool.

I waver between crippling depression and cautious optimism - in the sense that I don't  know what D&D are doing, but could still find likable elements due to the fact that *hundreds of other people* are involved in the production and doing their best even if the writing team is not. 

Even the Yara leaks we've heard.....may or may not make sense in context, I have a "wait and see" attitude. 

I have some big news to post soon in a few days, check back.

On 1/10/2017 at 8:35 PM, The Dragon Demands said:

Hey, I'm back after a long absence.

....yeah I saw that.  What I'm disturbed about is that they admitted that Lyanna Mormont giving the King in the North speech was a late rewrite, to show off the actress due to how well she was doing.  Originally she wasn't even in the episode.  Well, no, let me rephrase that:  if it was the same speech and another character delivered it, no problem......but did they cut out the whole "the North Remembers" thing....purely so they could have a "moment" of Lyanna admonishing the other lords?  Just to show off Bella Ramsey, the actress?

I don't know, and there's other points when I grapple with this back and forth, and other points to indicate it might not have been THAT big of a sudden decision.

I anticipate that they'll show off Lyanna Mormont more in Season 7, but I'm actually fine with that:  PLANNING the ones you show off in advance is fine, the last minute rewrites come off as kind of clunky.  Also good to you know, show off a female political ruler for once.

****Also regarding commentary:  what surprised me most, with bitter irony, is that the director of the Braavos play episodes thought that the play was....an uncomfortably accurate criticism of things the show does.  Like, it has fart humor in it right after they had a Pycelle fart joke.  And he told the writers about this, and asked if they were comfortable with such candid self-criticism....yet they insisted to him that it was a *mockery* of groundless criticisms that the TV show doesn't deserve.  So like, even their production staff were looking at it and saying "these are very accurate criticisms, to the point this is uncomfortable" but the writers themselves didn't see it. 

I'm not really sure if there's anything from the Season 7 leaks I outright hate yet - I mean, some things can look weird but make sense in context and some good ideas can end up looking pretty bad in the finished product.  The Reach/Highgarden stuff surprised me a little though they *might* explain that in context.  Any further presence of Ellaria is laughable, as confirmed in set photos, though we don't know if it's them pandering their favorite Sand Snakes again, or really just all of 2 minutes to finish off the characters - just to wrap up the storyline.  We have no idea how much weight is being applied to any of these. 

The parts I was really let down by across Seasons 5 and 6 were "Dorne" and "The North" (including Brienne until she left the North, and Jon the instant his Night's Watch storyline ended with his assassination).  With Ramsay dead I don't know if they'll "move on" in some fashion from that, though Sansa as a character is ruined and just doing whatever they think makes her sound cool.

I waver between crippling depression and cautious optimism - in the sense that I don't  know what D&D are doing, but could still find likable elements due to the fact that *hundreds of other people* are involved in the production and doing their best even if the writing team is not. 

Even the Yara leaks we've heard.....may or may not make sense in context, I have a "wait and see" attitude. 

I have some big news to post soon in a few days, check back.

Excellent points as usual Dragon. And is this "big news" your new video? I hope so... we've been waiting for two months!

On 10.01.2017 at 9:35 PM, The Dragon Demands said:

Actually there is already plenty of ruling women. We have Olenna Redwyne, Sand Snakes, Cersei and Daenerys.

Archived