Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

1 minute ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Yeah but Siddig said the idea to kill of Doran only came after they declared Dorne a failure after Season 5. 

So what's crucial is, remember when we were all deriding it after S5?  What didn't work then?

1. Siddig was underused.  2. The sand snakes were even more cartoonish in the show than in the books.  3. Jamies plan to go to Dorne was so stupid that characters IN the show repeatedly called it stupid.  4. Did I mention the plot was stupid?  5. The sand snakes acting was terrible. 6. The fight choreography was terrible.  

A better question is, was there anything good about Dorne?

Just now, Cas Stark said:

She's back to square one anyway, House Martell is extinct.  The house of her paramour, who she wanted to avenge by killing his brother and nephew.  Seems stupid. 

Killing Doran and his son was not part of her revenge plan. He was only in the way of her plan, so he had to go. With him gone, Dorne will follow her into war, which is exactly what she wanted. I know arguments aren't allowed here and I was only answering your original question, so this will be my last post on the matter. 

I just found a really cool review by a professional military historian / stuntwork reviewer:

The big fight scene in episode 5.6 had a lot riding on it as THE action climax of that subplot, which is why so many remember it as "awful" after all of the massive hype they gave to it. 

He knows stuff like counter-attack terms ("riposte") that I don't. 

The point is that freeze-framing it, he concludes that the actual stuntwork was actually good or at least tolerable. 

Like, Obara isn't just "flailing" her sword, generally, but will parry with the blade and immediately follow-through with an attack using the butt end of the spear.  Stuff like that.

The whole point of his video is citing little moments when yeah, actually, they do use more or less adequate martial arts (fencing) moves.

He did think Nymeria's whip was very poorly done.  And he was smart enough to understand, he says "I think the idea is that she supports by tripping up their opponents to clear her sisters for an attack", but concludes that they didn't really work this into the fight well enough (it would require much better camerawork/choreography).

And this guy knows medieval martial arts, technique and form, so while he does say "their lack of training shows" he stresses that basically "you could tell they're new at this, if you're a professional like me, but they're actually doing *adequately*.

Instead he squarely lays the blame on the camerawork and editing.

....which as the director admitted, stemmed from the impulsive decision that "we need to show off that we have the money to fil in a UNESCO World Heritage site!", despite MASSIVE restrictions:  you can't film at *night* (during an infiltration mission?!), and you can't film *inside* for fear of damaging the walls.....so you're just filming....in the courtyard, and even there it is very difficult to get the cameras in, so they had to film at a distance.

Basically, MOST fight scenes look like that, people just standing around and then waving their weapon - because they're *not* actually trying to land a killing blow on the other stuntmen.  The art of....fight scene cinematography, is deftly zooming in on certain moves with close camera angles to make it look more frenetic.  Otherwise it looks like actors just standing and waiting for their turn. 

Give the video a look, it's 10 minutes long, but it's interesting to hear him pointing out "these are actually relatively well put together fight moves, the editing is just rushed and awful" due to bizarre location choice. 

I mean, think "X-Men" (2000) when Wolverine fights Sabretooth atop the Statue of Liberty at night.  That was a sound stage.  Imagine if Fox agreed to film at the ACTUAL Statue of Liberty, jumping at the chance....and ignoring restrictions like "well you can only film during the day, and in the courtyard *in front of* the pedestal of the statue, not on it".  That's....that's just absurd.  You're not even really "filming in" the Statue of Liberty. 

One of the larger examples that Dorne was just plain badly rushed.

• 2 weeks later...

I can tell this thread is going to, once again, be better entertainment than this year's season of Game of Idiots... I MEAN Thrones. As in Toilets.

Anything good about Dorne? Since I have yet to see Seasons 5 and 6 in their entirety, I'm going with Oberyn and Season 4 Ellaria. I still have my DVD set of Season 4 because of them; otherwise I probably would have sold it by now. Knowing how the show goes off the rails has sadly diminished my joy of watching the beginnings. Although I'll always hang on to Season 1 for Sean Bean if nothing else. 

1 hour ago, Liver and Onions said:

Knowing how the show goes off the rails has sadly diminished my joy of watching the beginnings. Although I'll always hang on to Season 1 for Sean Bean if nothing else. 

Same here. I watched the first three Episodes of season 1 a couple of months ago. Season 1 has always been my favourite season of GoT and one of my favourite seasons of any TV show ever.  There are of course some things I could criticise like all the unnecessary female nudity, but overall I have an extremely positive opinion of season 1. However, knowing what the show turns into I sort of had a bad taste in my mouth while watching it. 

I liked Season 2-4 less than Season 1, but I still had an overall positive opinion of the show while watching these. Though I can't bring myself to re-watch them right now, because I fear that I wouldn't like them anymore, since I have become far more critical opinion if the show these days then back when I first watched them. 

Due to time constraints, I've dropped what I'm doing to focus on "Rape part 2:  In the TV series".  I'm trying to keep it under 2 hours long, because it's sort of a review of all of Seasons 5 and 6 for Sansa, etc. 

I wrote up others on Dorne, Talisa, Battle of the Bastards, but it would take a while to edit them...and they're actually sort of spinoffs of points raised in the main one anyway. 

Written up the slides and recording now, need to get it done long before next weekend when D&D crawl out from under their rocks and make a public appearance with Sophie and Maisie at SXSW panel. 

In the meantime, you guys may want to prepare by watching "Rape part 1 - in the books". 

Not to imply that D&D are sourcing GOT plotline ideas from REO Speedwagon, but wow if this doesn’t sound a lot like the Jon/Dany leaks.

It has slowly building feelings, following a girl around thinking she’s the answer, ice and fire, boats, implied sex, kneeling...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmo36gnUCWE

Someone claims to have found the "Battle of the Bastards" script on the Emmy Awards website....the stage instruction are kind of weird....is this real?

http://gotgifsandmusings.tumblr.com/post/158023788922/battle-of-the-bastards-script-is-full-of

On closer inspection:

I guess the Battle of the Bastards script is real enough, if it's on the Emmys website.

HOWEVER, I think we're easily forgetting a big point:  This is the script that Benioff & Weiss formally submitted to the Emmy Awards.

As in, it was handed in long after the episode was filmed.  This wasn't their shooting script.  It couldn't be even if it's real. 

This is the script that D&D polished up *as best they could* to remove obvious errors such as dear god, the three missing days of filming that Sapochnik mentioned, or how in the original version the cavalry form the pincers.

We fixate on these points when it says "Umber and Karstark grin at seeing Rickon die"....

....I think they ADDED THOSE IN to this Emmy version of the script, retroactively, so it doesn't seem incongruent that Umber doesn't turn on Ramsay late in the battle.  Also Smalljon dies differently in this, his eyes gouged out. 

IF it is real, it does seem to match what I've discerned for a while:  D&D writing incredibly detailed descriptions of the actor's non-verbal facial reactions. 

But the thing to keep in mind is....this is the script they fixed up to make it as presentable to the Emmys as possible, so they probably tried to retcon stuff in it that was never in the shooting script.

21 hours ago, SerMixalot said:

so GoT rolled out their teaser trailer through a melting block of ice.

Man, they are truly meta.  Watching GoT is like watching ice melt, only more offensive

That's exactly what happened in the promo :(

I think that the reason they used ice and fire is because it's a hint that Jonerys will definitely happen, and I don't like it at all

So  D&D had a pannel at SXSW didn't listen to it, but apparently they said these things:

Like we didn't already know that, but at least they confirmed it. I'm not sure which Lannisters they love though since they haven't adapted Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime, Myrcella and Tommen properly.

From EW http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/12/game-of-thrones-sxsw/

The actresses asked their showrunners which actors whose characters died during the series, they would bring back if possible. At the question, several in the audience shouted “Hodor!” But the producers answered Michelle Fairley (Catelyn Stark) and Jack Gleeson (Joffrey Baratheon).

Not funny :angry2: 

It's not like you didn't have the opportunity to bring her back

Archived