Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

10 minutes ago, Queen of Procrastination said:

So  D&D had a pannel at SXSW didn't listen to it, but apparently they said these things:

Like we didn't already know that, but at least they confirmed it. I'm not sure which Lannisters they love though since they haven't adapted Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime, Myrcella and Tommen properly.

From EW http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/12/game-of-thrones-sxsw/

Not funny :angry2: 

It's not like you didn't have the opportunity to bring her back

LSH????? hahahaha

:angry:

16 minutes ago, Queen of Procrastination said:

So  D&D had a pannel at SXSW didn't listen to it, but apparently they said these things:

Like we didn't already know that, but at least they confirmed it. I'm not sure which Lannisters they love though since they haven't adapted Tyrion, Cersei, Jaime, Myrcella and Tommen properly.

From EW http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/12/game-of-thrones-sxsw/

Not funny :angry2: 

It's not like you didn't have the opportunity to bring her back

ughh

4 hours ago, I Don't Shagwell said:

Ed sheeran. Need I say more? These are the people running this god damn show.

JOKE

Sooo, this show is all about pop culture, tits, and dragons.

Hmmmm, kinda reminds me of the constant Superbowl half-time debacles we have year after year where the "entertainers" just try to outdo each other for schlock and awe.

Pop culture? Check http://www.seventeen.com/celebrity/hot-guys/reviews/a24994/times-ed-sheeran-was-cute/

Tits? Check http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2014031/rs_634x1024-140131120351-634.-JacksonTimberlake.mh.jpg

Dragons? Check http://d.ibtimes.co.uk/en/full/1588803/lady-gaga-super-bowl-half-time-show.jpg

What a frickin' joke of a show anymore.

So... they want the Lannisters to win? Aren't they all on opposite sides now? Who am I kidding, when they meet up again, they'll just forget about all previous plot points.

Surprised they didn't want Tywin back. 

They should just go nuts with the adaptation now. Tywin's ghost comes back to snark at his kids. Sam and Ed Sheeran team up with Pod and Gendry to form the Seven Directions (they need three more, tho...) boy band, and their singing will beat the White Walkers a la Macross/Robotech. Dany's dragons start acting like the Three Stooges.  Come on, it would resemble the books much more than what we're gonna get!

14 hours ago, Liver and Onions said:

So... they want the Lannisters to win? Aren't they all on opposite sides now? Who am I kidding, when they meet up again, they'll just forget about all previous plot points.

Surprised they didn't want Tywin back. 

They should just go nuts with the adaptation now. Tywin's ghost comes back to snark at his kids. Sam and Ed Sheeran team up with Pod and Gendry to form the Seven Directions (they need three more, tho...) boy band, and their singing will beat the White Walkers a la Macross/Robotech. Dany's dragons start acting like the Three Stooges.  Come on, it would resemble the books much more than what we're gonna get!

It's been obvious for a long time that the Lannisters are the showrunners favorite house.  

As someone who loves the books and the show. And can appreciate each form of storytelling for what it is... I'm dying to know--

keeping in mind the fact you have less than 10 hours to more or less give a version of a 1000+ page novel.  It is the most expensive show in television history so you need to produce giant ratings or else you are going to get cancelled...

...so with that in mind-- what does everyone think D&D should've cut out to put all the stuff you are mad at them for cutting out from the books? And remember-- the running joke is TV show fans can't follow who anyone is already (Honest Trailers) and if the HBO audience was only book fans that wouldn't be enough to keep the show from being cancelled...

... I'm not being combative just genuinely asking.  Because this is the Golden Age of television , and Game of Thrones by any metric has surpassed all the greats of this era with both critical and commercial success...

... the only people who complain about is this sect of book readers.  But I've been reading this thread for years and I'm sorry but the stuff you are mad at them for not doing-- if they did-- the show wouldn't have made it past the pilot order

**addition** If you hadn't read the books would you think the show sucks?

15 hours ago, Arliss said:

That´s pretty hard question to answer, considering how that shapes one´s preferences, but I think I still would, becouse I consider the GOT´s writing to be one of the dumbest on television.

@Arliss: Yes, most of us are aware of the fact that there are constraints due to the budget, screentime, etc. and that some changes are necessary due to television being a different medium. No one is saying that the show should hve included all 3000 something characters from the books or that the show should have included each scene from the books. Having said that I think (and I believe many of the others here will agree) that the show could have done things differently with the same budget and the same screentime. Actually, I think the showrunners aren't using the screentime very well. 

Here are just a few examples of how they could have done stuff differently with the same budget and the same screentime: 

The show spend hours on showing female nudity. Especially in the earlier seaons. If I'm not mistaken the total of these scenes amounts to the lenght of several episodes. Apart from being sexist, most of them add nothing in terms of worldbuilding, character or story development. Cut them and you can include some scenes that are missing from the books. Cut stuff like the nearly 4 minute long beetle speech or Tyrion's cock jokes and use them better.

Again the show can't include all characters from the books, but still we spend hours of screentime with invented characters, some of whom were very unpopular with the show-only audience as well. 

The fact that Lady Stoneheart is missing, isn't the only reason why I found D&D's stament that they miss Michelle Fairley pretty ironic. They underused her very much in Seasons 2 and 3. In the books Catelyn is the POV character with the 5th highest number of chapters, despite the fact that she had no chapters in AFFC and ADWD. On the show she has less screen time than characters like Talisa and Shae in Season 2 and 3 respectively. You don't have to add overall screentime to give more to Catelyn. Just cut brothel scenes or cut screentime from Shae and Talisa who shouldn't have that much. 

The showrunners could have cut 2 of the 3 Sandsnakes who are only minor characters in the books and they could have cut Trystane who doesn't appear on page in the books could be cut as well give us Arianne instead of these characters.

Would I still thinks that the show sucks if I hadn't read the books? Well I'm not gonna lie of course the fact that I've read the books has influenced my opinion of the show and I've only been unsullied in Season 1. Having said that GoT already fails on it own terms when I don't compare it to the books. Furthermore, when I criticise the show on it's own terms I complain about the same stuff that I would complain with any other TV show or movie. 

Edit: I wholly agree with what the orhers have said. Back in Season 2 there were some changes I didn't like and where I think they could have done things differently. However, my overall opinion of the show  was still extremely positive. Like the others have said for me Season 5 and 6 were bad on their own merrits and by the time I watched I had forgotten a lot of stuff that happens in the books. 

If I'd never read the books, I probably would have watched season 1 for Sean Bean. Then I would have stuck around because dragons, hey, this could get cool! Then I would have realized none of the characters are likable anymore because of how inconsistent their motivations and dumb their decisions are. I miiiight have kept watching then just to finish it out, but the instant one of those dragons (maybe, possibly...) dies, I would have been all NOPE. (Note that the dire wolves should get the same response from alternate-universe me, but since the show undercuts their importance, I might not get as attached. ) At that point, I'd have a list of Characters I Want to See Die... and would include a vast majority of the cast.

The show just isn't very good, even if it gets high ratings. Baywatch is one if not THE most watched show of all time. And it's quite bad (but a fun-kind of bad, I suppose). The good in the show comes from the books and, I'd argue, the casting department. The bad is all on the show runners. I get the impression they don't have the patience or skill for a long-running series.

At the same time, there's nothing wrong with anyone enjoying the show. Some people even enjoy hate-watching it. I myself don't watch certain movies or shows that are considered great by many because of my own personal issues with said shows. I'm not going to tell anyone else that they shouldn't watch because of my reasons. 

21 hours ago, Arliss said:

As someone who loves the books and the show. And can appreciate each form of storytelling for what it is... I'm dying to know--

keeping in mind the fact you have less than 10 hours to more or less give a version of a 1000+ page novel.  It is the most expensive show in television history so you need to produce giant ratings or else you are going to get cancelled...

...so with that in mind-- what does everyone think D&D should've cut out to put all the stuff you are mad at them for cutting out from the books? And remember-- the running joke is TV show fans can't follow who anyone is already (Honest Trailers) and if the HBO audience was only book fans that wouldn't be enough to keep the show from being cancelled...

... I'm not being combative just genuinely asking.  Because this is the Golden Age of television , and Game of Thrones by any metric has surpassed all the greats of this era with both critical and commercial success...

... the only people who complain about is this sect of book readers.  But I've been reading this thread for years and I'm sorry but the stuff you are mad at them for not doing-- if they did-- the show wouldn't have made it past the pilot order

Most of the complaints about the show, certainly for the last 2 seasons, don't include 'they should have added XYZ from the books'.  There has been so much to complain about regarding the show, there is not even a need to reach back to the books and complain that so and so and such and such isn't in the show.  And the show's worst faults have nothing to do with plotlines or characters they have left out.

@Arliss My problem with the show is not about them cutting stuff from the books, it has to do with the inconsistent writing. I accepted the fact that GoT has deviated from the books so I don't even compare it with them. I criticize the show on its own merit. A lot of the characters' actions do not make any sense like they suddenly changed personality or something. I mean what the hell is up with sansa's character? Why is jaime back to his season 1 self?

My sister is show watcher only and even she saw the decline in the writing since season 5. She started losing interest during season 6 and watched the rest of the episodes mostly eyerolling/laughing. I asked her who's the favorite character at the moment and she said none. She doesn't care for anyone now. 

The show's writing is bad. It has nothing to do with it not following the books. Its just boobs, dragons, dick jokes and cheap deaths for shock. No real storytelling with confused cartoonish characters. Any character can suddenly change personality and can teleport to any place if the writers/plot require them to. Totally inconsistent. That's my problem with it.

From an WiC net article about SXSW. Benioff talking about the Stark sisters:http://winteriscoming.net/2017/03/15/sxsw-roundup-missed-game-thrones-panel/

Arya’s a rebel, and I think people are drawn to people who rebel against whatever the societal structures are. For me though, Sansa goes on one of the most interesting journeys; She doesn’t start out as someone who is really sharp, shrewd and tough, but she becomes that person. Arya is kind of always there, which is what’s great about her, but Sansa had to get there by painful experience.

Technically the are only confirming what we already know, but I'm really mad right now. 

12 hours ago, Queen of Procrastination said:

From an WiC net article about SXSW. Benioff talking about the Stark sisters:http://winteriscoming.net/2017/03/15/sxsw-roundup-missed-game-thrones-panel/

Technically the are only confirming what we already know, but I'm really mad right now. 

So the painful experiences before season 5 just didn't matter then Mr Benioff? Seeing your father killed after being assured he would live? Being forced to look at his decapitated head? Being stripped and beaten in public? Being psychologically and physically abused for months by Joffrey? Being hit and almost raped in a crowd? Being married against your will? Learning your mother and brother died horribly to try to save you? Watching your psychotic aunt get killed by her husband?

Nah. I guess a true feminist show proves that a woman can only become a player if she is violent from the start or following a rape. That feels like realism to me.

On 2017. 03. 15. at 3:45 AM, Arliss said:

Like the others have said, I think it's not about the show not following the books anymore. It hasn't been for a long time (although it probably should try to do that, since it was best when it did i.e. season 1 ). I mean I am sorry that I didn't get to see all the cool scenes from the books the way they were written there, or that I only got to see a butchered version of them (Kingsmoot for example), but that's my personal problem, although one that I voiced a few times in threads like this. 

But the series should stand on its own, and it should be criticized on its own. Sadly, I think that paints the show in an even worse light. Especially in seasons 5-6, when they started making up their own stuff. Boy, it really showed there. Not just because they mostly didn't follow the books, but more importantly because their own writing stinks. These people (D&D) are giant hacks, con-men who somehow managed to land an HBO show. How well connected and/or lucky do you have to be for that to happen with these writing skills? It baffles me that so many doesn't seem to notice that the emperors have no clothes.

Okay, so here is just a compressed list of what is wrong with the show in terms of writing, without the fact that it differs from the books. Corny, anachronistic-sounding dialogue. Everyone talks like it's XXI. century Earth or something. They don't even make an effort to have the characters sound just a little different than what you would hear on any other show (Vikings is also guilty of this).

Plotlines that make no sense even in the context of the show. Have Sansa marry Ramsey? Have Stannis burn his daughter? Have Arya be blinded for not being "no-one", then have her rewarded when she kills someone beacuse she is not "no-one"? Why did Jaquen punish her in the first place then? Have rulers of various factions killed, then have the someone who killed them take their place instantly? Seriously, it was a running theme last season. It does not work like that. None of it works like that. Remember when even in the show, acquiring power required careful plotting, backstabbing and conspiring? No, not anymore. Dany, Cersei, Ellaria and Euron can just straight up murder a ruler or rulers and take their place and nobody questions that fact. I can't stress enough how idiotic that is. it completely breaks immersion for me, it's like a particularly violent child's idea of how politics work. I could probably go on forever, but I think you get the idea. 

Characters have completely inconsistent motivations and personalities that change on the whim of the plot. The worst offenders are Jaime, Sansa and Cersei. Does Jaime care about his family's position and power and does he want to preserve it or does he careonly about Cersei and damn everyone else? It seemed like the latter was season 1 Jaime, but he was back in full force last year. Jaime's character development as a whole has been butchered by the way as well, because he doesn't seem to make up his mind on anything. His attitude towards Cersei, his kids, his father, Tyrion and in a broader sense, his family or his place in his family. He talks about Tywin's legacy in one episode, then in the next, it's "Cersei and me and to hell with everyone else". 

Then we have Sansa, who is sometimes a confident "player" of the game, then in next season, she lets herself be talked into a political marriage that doesn't benefit her in any way. It's almost like she reverts back to her former self for the sake of stupid, idiotic plot. Oh, and good old Cersei, she is a power hungry crazyperson, but for her children she is willing to burn the Lannister house to the ground. So she loves her children more than power. Okay, get it. But wait, then she blows up everyone to get power, screwing up everything his son worked for, which it then leads him to suicide, after which she is like, whatevs. 

Then there are some more subjective complaints that I have. In my opinion, there is a lack of dramatic tension in the show. Scenes that are supposed to be awesome (in the very literal sense of the word), well, they kinda just happen. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but CGI, even if it's very good CGI by TV standards just doesn't impress me. Case in point, the dragons burning the slavers' ships. I understand that many Unsullied fanboys of the show jizz in their pants whenever there is a "badass' Dany scene, but it's just not enough. She didn't earn that badass scene. And by the way, although the dragons looked nice, the scene itself was slow and devoid of any tension. 

Or for exapmle, take a scene like crowning Jon the king in the north. Apart from not making any sense (Ned's legitimate, and to everyone's knowledge, only heir, Sansa is sitting right next to Jon, the bastard watchman, and they crown him king), it is supposed to be uplifting, we are supposed to feel a mix of bittersweet joy and hopefulness that all the Stark children's struggles are finally coming to and end. Or something like that. But it falls completely flat on its face, because of the context. The northern lords are convinced by a ten year old girl to elect Jon to help him fight against the white walkers (whose existence they just accept), when previously they couldn't be convinced to fight against the Boltons. 

Other beefs I have with the show. Characters do very important things off screen (but don't worry, on screen we have a seven minute Tyrion is wise and funny scene with Missandei and Grey Worm). For example Arya getting back to Westeros, infiltrating the Frey castle, killing the Frey boys, baking them into a pie, and serving it to Walder. You know, the usual stuff. No need to show any of it. 

The budget. They have the most expensive TV show under their belt, and what do they spend the money on? Face maks, misplaced CGI budget (Wun Wun and dragons but no Ghost), Expensive, but ultimately pointless location shoots (Alcázar of Seville) around the world, hiring celebs because of star power (Ed Sheeran, really?), or misusing high profile actors (Max von Sydow, Ian McShane). And so on and so forth.

GoT, the series in my opinionhasbecome a giant spectacle for the masses. I guess you could see it coming with the level of success it has gathered over the years, with it becoming so mainstream. But I can't hel but feel a little dissapointed, because it started so well(season 1 in my opinion still is the best of the six) and I was a show apologist until season 5, so I understand someone wanting to like it. You asked if I hadn't read the books would I think it still sucks. Yes, i think I would. Let me ask you in reverse! If you hadn't read the books and wouldn't have that knowledge in your head, would you still like the show? Would you even understand it (not because you're stupid or anything, the show literally does a poor job of explaining things to unsullied viewers)? I think fans like you(who read the books but still like the show) have a case of headcannoning things in the show from their knowledge of the books. I'm not saying you necessarily do that, but I tended to do that in the past to handwave away the show's faults.

On 17/3/2017 at 4:37 AM, The Boastful Knight said:

Like the others have said, I think it's not about the show not following the books anymore. It hasn't been for a long time (although it probably should try to do that, since it was best when it did i.e. season 1 ). I mean I am sorry that I didn't get to see all the cool scenes from the books the way they were written there, or that I only got to see a butchered version of them (Kingsmoot for example), but that's my personal problem, although one that I voiced a few times in threads like this. 

But the series should stand on its own, and it should be criticized on its own. Sadly, I think that paints the show in an even worse light. Especially in seasons 5-6, when they started making up their own stuff. Boy, it really showed there. Not just because they mostly didn't follow the books, but more importantly because their own writing stinks. These people (D&D) are giant hacks, con-men who somehow managed to land an HBO show. How well connected and/or lucky do you have to be for that to happen with these writing skills? It baffles me that so many doesn't seem to notice that the emperors have no clothes.

Okay, so here is just a compressed list of what is wrong with the show in terms of writing, without the fact that it differs from the books. Corny, anachronistic-sounding dialogue. Everyone talks like it's XXI. century Earth or something. They don't even make an effort to have the characters sound just a little different than what you would hear on any other show (Vikings is also guilty of this).

Plotlines that make no sense even in the context of the show. Have Sansa marry Ramsey? Have Stannis burn his daughter? Have Arya be blinded for not being "no-one", then have her rewarded when she kills someone beacuse she is not "no-one"? Why did Jaquen punish her in the first place then? Have rulers of various factions killed, then have the someone who killed them take their place instantly? Seriously, it was a running theme last season. It does not work like that. None of it works like that. Remember when even in the show, acquiring power required careful plotting, backstabbing and conspiring? No, not anymore. Dany, Cersei, Ellaria and Euron can just straight up murder a ruler or rulers and take their place and nobody questions that fact. I can't stress enough how idiotic that is. it completely breaks immersion for me, it's like a particularly violent child's idea of how politics work. I could probably go on forever, but I think you get the idea. 

Characters have completely inconsistent motivations and personalities that change on the whim of the plot. The worst offenders are Jaime, Sansa and Cersei. Does Jaime care about his family's position and power and does he want to preserve it or does he careonly about Cersei and damn everyone else? It seemed like the latter was season 1 Jaime, but he was back in full force last year. Jaime's character development as a whole has been butchered by the way as well, because he doesn't seem to make up his mind on anything. His attitude towards Cersei, his kids, his father, Tyrion and in a broader sense, his family or his place in his family. He talks about Tywin's legacy in one episode, then in the next, it's "Cersei and me and to hell with everyone else". 

Then we have Sansa, who is sometimes a confident "player" of the game, then in next season, she lets herself be talked into a political marriage that doesn't benefit her in any way. It's almost like she reverts back to her former self for the sake of stupid, idiotic plot. Oh, and good old Cersei, she is a power hungry crazyperson, but for her children she is willing to burn the Lannister house to the ground. So she loves her children more than power. Okay, get it. But wait, then she blows up everyone to get power, screwing up everything his son worked for, which it then leads him to suicide, after which she is like, whatevs. 

Then there are some more subjective complaints that I have. In my opinion, there is a lack of dramatic tension in the show. Scenes that are supposed to be awesome (in the very literal sense of the word), well, they kinda just happen. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but CGI, even if it's very good CGI by TV standards just doesn't impress me. Case in point, the dragons burning the slavers' ships. I understand that many Unsullied fanboys of the show jizz in their pants whenever there is a "badass' Dany scene, but it's just not enough. She didn't earn that badass scene. And by the way, although the dragons looked nice, the scene itself was slow and devoid of any tension. 

Or for exapmle, take a scene like crowning Jon the king in the north. Apart from not making any sense (Ned's legitimate, and to everyone's knowledge, only heir, Sansa is sitting right next to Jon, the bastard watchman, and they crown him king), it is supposed to be uplifting, we are supposed to feel a mix of bittersweet joy and hopefulness that all the Stark children's struggles are finally coming to and end. Or something like that. But it falls completely flat on its face, because of the context. The northern lords are convinced by a ten year old girl to elect Jon to help him fight against the white walkers (whose existence they just accept), when previously they couldn't be convinced to fight against the Boltons. 

Other beefs I have with the show. Characters do very important things off screen (but don't worry, on screen we have a seven minute Tyrion is wise and funny scene with Missandei and Grey Worm). For example Arya getting back to Westeros, infiltrating the Frey castle, killing the Frey boys, baking them into a pie, and serving it to Walder. You know, the usual stuff. No need to show any of it. 

The budget. They have the most expensive TV show under their belt, and what do they spend the money on? Face maks, misplaced CGI budget (Wun Wun and dragons but no Ghost), Expensive, but ultimately pointless location shoots (Alcázar of Seville) around the world, hiring celebs because of star power (Ed Sheeran, really?), or misusing high profile actors (Max von Sydow, Ian McShane). And so on and so forth.

GoT, the series in my opinionhasbecome a giant spectacle for the masses. I guess you could see it coming with the level of success it has gathered over the years, with it becoming so mainstream. But I can't hel but feel a little dissapointed, because it started so well(season 1 in my opinion still is the best of the six) and I was a show apologist until season 5, so I understand someone wanting to like it. You asked if I hadn't read the books would I think it still sucks. Yes, i think I would. Let me ask you in reverse! If you hadn't read the books and wouldn't have that knowledge in your head, would you still like the show? Would you even understand it (not because you're stupid or anything, the show literally does a poor job of explaining things to unsullied viewers)? I think fans like you(who read the books but still like the show) have a case of headcannoning things in the show from their knowledge of the books. I'm not saying you necessarily do that, but I tended to do that in the past to handwave away the show's faults.

I think I'm going to show your post to my unsullied relatives who like the show. Very good summary.

So, I've decided to begin re-watching Season 1, which I haven't seen again since around the end of 2012. Gotta say, while it's okay I'm noticing some of issues that have become commonplace complaints about the show in the earliest form. The characterisation of Cersei and Tyrion in particular have been very whitewashed away from their darker personality traits - I hadn't quite realised how much. But, as I said, it's fine. Decent, acceptable. Plot is staying close to the books. But I don't find creative aspects outstanding particularly. A lot of it scenes lack weight and intrigue for me. It's quite passive viewing, actually. Maybe I'll do a write up or something later on. 

Archived