Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

1 minute ago, Darkstream said:

Yup, and let's not forget about common sense and logic...what in Seven Hells is that?

Or how about their sense of social awareness and responsibility, for two individuals in such an influential position. What's their response to the criticism of their depiction of women, and the glorification of violence and revenge? They have a bunch of scantily dressed hotties with bad pussy murder their own family in the name of revenge, for... get this...the murder of members of their family. Yay!! Go girl power and equality. :rolleyes:

Yeah, the lack of logic goes without saying but I should have included it just to be more thorough:D

16 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Yup, and let's not forget about common sense and logic...what in Seven Hells is that?

Or how about their sense of social awareness and responsibility, for two individuals in such an influential position. What's their response to the criticism of their depiction of women, and the glorification of violence and revenge? They have a bunch of scantily dressed hotties with bad pussy murder their own family in the name of revenge, for... get this...the murder of members of their family. Yay!! Go girl power and equality. :rolleyes:

You forgot the smirks of empowerment. Women on top who kill weak men always have smirks of empowerment.

1 hour ago, Prince of the North said:

This is my fundamental, bottom-line thought practically any time I think about GoT.

TRUTH!  Characterization?  Motivation?  Setting?  Context?  Uh...what's that?!!!:dunno:

Also vulnerability. Everyone is a soulless badass. Zipping up and down Westeros doing wildly improbable things. I have no idea what anyone hopes for or dreams of or cares about or anything that really matters. All anyone cares about is killing and power. What kind of a story is that? A bunch of interchangeable plot devices, swap them in and out, between explosions and torment and smirks.

On 6/17/2017 at 7:33 PM, Prince of the North said:

Yeah, the lack of logic goes without saying but I should have included it just to be more thorough:D

Here's another nice comment from a writer on a good show that goes with what you were saying: "All story comes from the characters. What are they thinking and feeling? What would they actually do next?"

A main character is supposed to undergo a metamorphosis during the course of the story, but the ones in this show are stagnant, because they never answer those basic questions (like the source material did).

(So here's the link to that, in case anyone was curious.)

That type of scriptwriting does apply to some shows, but not to ensemble shows where there are multiple main characters instead of 1. 

Game of Thrones does not have a single main character and indeed some of the secondary characters DO evolve through the story and while they do exist partly for the impact they will have on main characters, they can also serve an important role in the overarching story.

Stagnant main cast:

Dany has dragons (now she has bigger dragons). Jon died and came back much the same. Tyrion stands around and gives advice. Cersei does bad things and smirks. Jaime helps her do bad things. Arya kills people and smirks. Sansa left the building (there's only Sandra). Bran is a WABAC machine.

13 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

That type of scriptwriting does apply to some shows, but not to ensemble shows where there are multiple main characters instead of 1. 

Not sure what you mean with "that type of scriptwriting"

Do you mean "character driven scriptwriting" and that it doesn't work for ensemble shows? Have you watched Black Sails (a prequel to Treasure Island)? It's a pearl of character-driven writing for multiple characters. Watching that and then thinking of GOT is totally gut wrenching. I wish the Black Sails writers could have done GOT. :bang:

And more, their characters do deviate in many ways from the historical characterization that survived the times or that of Treasure Island, but they do it in such a way that it adds depth to the characters, and fuse it with the later accounts that it makes you read Treasure Island in a whole other way. 

More stagnant main cast:

Sam reads books and finds out stuff. Sandor came back then kills people. Brienne stands around then kills people. Davos stands around and gives advice. Varys stands around and gives advice. Littlefinger manipulates Sandra. Mel seems mysterious but is clueless. Bronn is a cool sidekick...

The costumes, the sea of black dresses with shoulder pads and chains (the Romulan look)... it's very uniform. For someone watching the show as a newcomer, how to tell the smirking women on top apart? I guess it's identification by wig. Long blonde wig. Short darker blonde wig. Long red wig. Arya stands out, the one smirking woman on top with normal looking hair.

15 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

If the leaks are true, it seems like the whole season revolves around Cersei, who doesn't seem to do much. Everyone is reacting to her, but she just sits there smirking.

All hail Cersei of House Lannister Queen of the Andals, the First Men and the Smirk ;) 

16 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

The poll on "which leaked plots annoy you" is doing great. I'm reposting the link to it for those who missed it:

https://nl.surveymonkey.com/r/HWKXFJ6

Great thank you. I laughed out loud reading it :) 

13 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Hey gang, my next big video is sort of about news:

Ava DuVernay openly criticizes Game of Thrones for going an unprecedented 3 years without a female director:

Also unprecedented to go 4 years without female writers.  This isn't normal.

Who cares, ASoiaf has made it five books without a female writer.

The problem with the show is that it has atrocious writers. Adding a female writer won't improve the show if she's another bad writer.

I will take any good writers, men or women, if they can improve this farce.

22 hours ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Ava DuVernay openly criticizes Game of Thrones for going an unprecedented 3 years without a female director:

I think it's a good summary of your points with regards the show being led by unproffesional execute producers. As for the writing and directing staff - even the fictional Mad Men team (which is portrayed as being male-chauvinistic) has one female writer in their company, and a female business partner at some point.

You're correct to point out that when S1 and S2 there already being criticism about the male gaze and the jokes about 13 year old perv side and it was clear that D&D weren't good at writing women at all, it's "madness" that HBO did not intervene in the disappearance of female writers and directors. Madder than "mad men". ;)

On Invalid Date at 1:30 AM, The Dragon Demands said:

This is kinda off-topic, but at least as I remember, Taylor was pretty awful writer as well...

2 hours ago, Rhodan said:

This is kinda off-topic, but at least as I remember, Taylor was pretty awful writer as well...

Yeah, Vanessa Taylor was pretty terrible. I think the issue is good writers, not female or male writers. Bad writing knows no gender, LOL.

On 6/19/2017 at 8:59 AM, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

Who cares, ASoiaf has made it five books without a female writer.

The problem with the show is that it has atrocious writers. Adding a female writer won't improve the show if she's another bad writer.

I will take any good writers, men or women, if they can improve this farce.

Not if she's another bad one. But it's a valid concern to want more female writers and directors, to add their voices to the mix.

This is a good article:

Cersei Lannister may have taken her seat on the Iron Throne, but in the real world of Game of Thrones, which has been nominated for 23 Emmy awards for its sixth season, not a single woman has occupied the director’s chair for years.

Sunday’s Emmy awards will celebrate an art form that is in a creative golden age, breaking artistic and societal boundaries with shows that increasingly reflect the diversity of America. With nominations for TV shows such as Black-ish, Transparent, Master of None and The People v OJ Simpson, the Emmys will be far and away more diverse than this year’s much-criticized Oscars.

But behind the camera, the industry that produces the shows we love looks nothing like the world we see reflected on the screen. The television industry remains a man’s world.

The Guardian analyzed the gender diversity of four important behind-the-scenes roles on the latest seasons of the shows nominated for Best Drama, Best Comedy and Best Limited Series: director, writer, cinematographer, and editor. The results paint a bleak picture of gender diversity in the workplaces that give rise to one of our country’s key cultural products.

Women directed just 30.4% of episodes and earned just 23.2% of writing credits, 7.1% of cinematography credits and 34.3% of editing credits for the nominated shows. Roots and The People v OJ Simpson did not have a single female director.

Two shows – the top-nominated Game of Thrones and critical darling Fargo – had neither a female director nor a female writer on their most recent seasons. Indeed, Game of Thrones has not had a female director since season four or a female writer since season three.

Over two seasons, Fargo has exclusively employed male directors and writers.

On the brighter side, four shows (The Night Manager, Transparent, American Crime and Modern Family) had female directors for 50% or more of their episodes. Transparent, Black-ish, Master of None and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt had women for 40% or more of their writing credits.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/sep/16/emmy-awards-women-tv-directors-writers-game-of-thrones

While having a female director/writer/ANYONE contributing to a series doesn't automatically make something feminist (or good), it certainly can't hurt. Then there's just the crazy notion that women are actually GOOD at directing and writing and should be better represented in every medium. 

Remember when GOT debuted and there was all that hubbub about how it was misogynistic and didn't accurately represent medieval history and how it wouldn't appeal to female fans? I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but we've sure come a long way! Right? 

Right? :ph34r:

Archived