Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

I wonder what gift will Euron give to CERSEI.

Cersei wants gifts. But the bst gift for Cersei is a wight. Everyone wants to hunt gifts for Cersei.

I laughed so hard when Jon said that they had to LOVE CERSEI.:lmao:

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Cersei wants gifts. But the bst gift for Cersei is a wight. Everyone wants to hunt gifts for Cersei.

Ellaria and Tyene

8 minutes ago, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

That was great how Lyanna Mormont mocked "knitting" in Winter.  :rolleyes:  Faux feminism at its finest.  "We're going to train every man, woman, boy and girl on Bear Island"... because that's different from how they've always been doing things on Bear Island how?      

Knitting during an undead war, not during winter

Another Rant. A conversation between Jaimie and Cersei was a wasted opportunity to show their complicated relationship. It was emotionless.

The same with Dany's arrival to Dragonstone. Touching sand on a beach wasn't really conviencing. I could imagine some flashbacks there like Targ banners waving, tears of joy...

11 hours ago, SecretWeapon said:

Knitting during an undead war, not during winter

The two go hand in hand and it gets even colder when the undead come.  It was just a ridiculous piece of dialog to highlight how #woke Jon is when Action Girl caricature chimes in disparaging "women's work" and it's presented as feminist.  Especially when that skill is obviously important support to the war effort.  What good is your fighting force if they all got fingers and toes turning black and falling off from frostbite?  Historically, many soldiers die not in combat but because of lack of basic protections against the elements and disease.  She could have been written to mention any other frivolous activity (as if men don't engage in frivolous things), but one that was so obviously practical for the situation was just laughable.       

There's plenty to rant about regarding season seven, but one thing I find increasingly bothersome is the state of the show fandom in general. I'm of the mind that all fandoms are fairly bad, only some are worse than others. But there's something about the GOT fandom that's unbelievably tiring. 

One of the problems I've been seeing ad nauseum this year is the belief that you can apparently only like one female character at a time, and must therefore have a vitriolic hatred for any other female character that is your favorite's "rival". Rival almost always means shipping rival, and usually that shipping involves incest and Jon Snow. (Remember when people used to ship Gendrya and SanSan? Those were the days, man). Right now I'm seeing people speculate that Arya will arrive in Winterfell, immediately become enemies with Sansa, and proceed to "put her in her place." But why? Why is it so wrong for two sisters not to hate each other and actually work together? And why is it that you can only like one Stark sister, not both of them (this is also seen in the ASOIAF fandom)? People like both Robb and Jon, and Tyrion and Jaime, so why not Sansa and Arya? It's mind-boggling. 

I've heard that tumblr is pretty bad when it comes to this stuff, which I definitely believe, but I avoid tumblr like the plague. I don't even care for the powerhouse ASOIAF blogger on tumblr that are brought up quite a bit on different platforms. Reddit is where I've been seeing most of these arguments, and it's a waste of time and space. 

I'm also very surprised that so many people are either now on Team Dany or Team Sansa, when for the longest time it had seemed that most Dany fans were Sansa fans as well. This, of course, typically comes back to shipping. Personally, I don't ship Jon with any of his relatives, and am a little surprised by the sheer number of people who do. I remember Size13 saying that those three are the ones who keep the marketing machine rolling, and I can definitely see the truth in that. 

Honestly, I find all of this rather depressing, not to mention exhausting. Is it really that awful for the Stark siblings to put aside their childhood grievances and be friends instead of enemies? Must all roads always lead back to Jon Snow? Why do we have to either love a character or despise them? It makes me eager to see this show finally come to an end. 

55 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

There's plenty to rant about regarding season seven, but one thing I find increasingly bothersome is the state of the show fandom in general. I'm of the mind that all fandoms are fairly bad, only some are worse than others. But there's something about the GOT fandom that's unbelievably tiring. 

One of the problems I've been seeing ad nauseum this year is the belief that you can apparently only like one female character at a time, and must therefore have a vitriolic hatred for any other female character that is your favorite's "rival". Rival almost always means shipping rival, and usually that shipping involves incest and Jon Snow. (Remember when people used to ship Gendrya and SanSan? Those were the days, man). Right now I'm seeing people speculate that Arya will arrive in Winterfell, immediately become enemies with Sansa, and proceed to "put her in her place." But why? Why is it so wrong for two sisters not to hate each other and actually work together? And why is it that you can only like one Stark sister, not both of them (this is also seen in the ASOIAF fandom)? People like both Robb and Jon, and Tyrion and Jaime, so why not Sansa and Arya? It's mind-boggling. 

I've heard that tumblr is pretty bad when it comes to this stuff, which I definitely believe, but I avoid tumblr like the plague. I don't even care for the powerhouse ASOIAF blogger on tumblr that are brought up quite a bit on different platforms. Reddit is where I've been seeing most of these arguments, and it's a waste of time and space. 

I'm also very surprised that so many people are either now on Team Dany or Team Sansa, when for the longest time it had seemed that most Dany fans were Sansa fans as well. This, of course, typically comes back to shipping. Personally, I don't ship Jon with any of his relatives, and am a little surprised by the sheer number of people who do. I remember Size13 saying that those three are the ones who keep the marketing machine rolling, and I can definitely see the truth in that. 

Honestly, I find all of this rather depressing, not to mention exhausting. Is it really that awful for the Stark siblings to put aside their childhood grievances and be friends instead of enemies? Must all roads always lead back to Jon Snow? Why do we have to either love a character or despise them? It makes me eager to see this show finally come to an end. 

thanks for saying this. The shipping wars usually involving Jon with one of his relatives (aunt, sister...) are nonsensical imho.

20 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

It must be THE Gift.  Ya know, St. Tyrion? 

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Great points, I have very similar thoughts. If you do browse at the ASOIAF reddit there is an interesting thread covering an interview with Elio and Linda, and it doesn't look good for Jon Snow in the books. I think a lot of shippers will not be happy lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/6o0yso/spoilers_extended_new_interview_with_elio_garcia/

45 minutes ago, SerProle said:

Great points, I have very similar thoughts. If you do browse at the ASOIAF reddit there is an interesting thread covering an interview with Elio and Linda, and it doesn't look good for Jon Snow in the books. I think a lot of shippers will not be happy lol.

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/6o0yso/spoilers_extended_new_interview_with_elio_garcia/

The Jonsa/Jonerys shipping wars was annoying, but it's Sansa v. Arya that bothers me the most. Aside from the leaks saying they reconcile by the end of the season, I simply don't understand why we can't like two characters at the same time.

Thanks for the link! George's recent "fire wight" comments have made me more inclined to believe that Jon's return won't be for very long. 

7 hours ago, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

The two go hand in hand and it gets even colder when the undead come.  It was just a ridiculous piece of dialog to highlight how #woke Jon is when Action Girl caricature chimes in disparaging "women's work" and it's presented as feminist.  Especially when that skill is obviously important support to the war effort.  What good is your fighting force if they all got fingers and toes turning black and falling off from frostbite?  Historically, many soldiers die not in combat but because of lack of basic protections against the elements and disease.  She could have been written to mention any other frivolous activity (as if men don't engage in frivolous things), but one that was so obviously practical for the situation was just laughable.       

Good point!

It doesn't matter whether it's the glaring issues with nobody having taken Dragonstone yet the past 2 years, and Euron not beng interested in it, or "pooh-poohing knitting". What is glaringly obvious is that they're writing for 16-year olds who pump their fists at a character being sassy, because talking back and speaking nonsense works like magic, so they can make a meme out of it on tumblr with "you tell them, girl!". It's annoying. And it's everything that GOT is not supposed to be. Not even Arya was ever that sassy.

7 hours ago, Blue-Eyed Wolf said:

:agree:

Though maybe the soldiers all  have magicals hands like Meera and don"t need to wear gloves :P

[MOD]

A reminder to everyone in this thread.

This thread is not about criticising someone's else's rants.  The thread is not a debate thread.  It is a place where people who feel the need to rant about something they didn't like about the show can do so without having to endure critiques about their rant.

As the show is being aired, anyone who feels the need to debate issues can do so in an appropriate thread which has been set up for that purpose - there are hundreds of such threads so there is no need to interfered with this thread.

If posters can respect that, it will make the running of the forum easier for everyone.

Thanks.

[/MOD]

I think the shipping on the show is a result of how the show has dropped or destroyed so many interesting plot points. Shipping and action scenes are about all that is left for viewers to be interested in at this point.  I used to love the political intrigue with Tyrion, LF, Varys, and Lady O. I mean if the show would have included Lady Stoneheart,  Aegon, a proper Euron, a proper Dorne, a proper Faceless Men/Bravos, or a proper Northern/Free Folk storyline there wouldn't be all this interest in shipping. I would like to see more of the politics, mysticism, and history in Westeros, but it isn't going to happen. Cool actions scenes, and shipping are about all the show has to offer.

On 7/17/2017 at 8:30 AM, sweetsunray said:

Only the scenes with the Hound are good and Arya's scene with Ed Sheeran alright, even though it had an eyeroll moment. Even both those scenes contain some don't-ask-too-many-"how"-questions. At this point thinking "oh, how convenient, two shovels to dig a grave" and "euhm, since when has Sandor the gift to look into the flames" would be nitpicking. Those scenes are like the band playing on the deck of the sinking Titanic. Everything else are scenes of people inside the Titanic who reach above the rising water for one more minute of air. They wrecked the story, logistics and internal coherence so much there's just no putting it back together again.

The earlier parts of the episode were so awful, such crap writing, I was completely caught off guard by the Hound scenes with Thoros and Beric lol. Probably the first little segment of the show that I really liked in a very long time. I think it had a stronger impact on me than was warranted because it was so unexpected lol. Instead of hearing D&D spew from the mouths of a bunch of actors in costumes (especially Cercei, Jaime, Sansa, Euron, Littlefinger ugh), the characters felt real in their world. Wow, it has been a long time since I felt like that about anything in the show, an actual willing suspension of disbelief.

But yeah, the Titanic is still going down. I am hoping a few little bits of quality are hidden in the upcoming episodes. And I'm sure the scenery will be great. I'm not looking forward to the cruelty of the upcoming episode though. 

15 minutes ago, Bear Claw said:

I think the shipping on the show is a result of how the show has dropped or destroyed so many interesting plot points. Shipping and action scenes are about all that is left for viewers to be interested in at this point.  I used to love the political intrigue with Tyrion, LF, Varys, and Lady O. I mean if the show would have included Lady Stoneheart,  Aegon, a proper Euron, a proper Dorne, a proper Faceless Men/Bravos, or a proper Northern/Free Folk storyline there wouldn't be all this interest in shipping. I would like to see more of the politics, mysticism, and history in Westeros, but it isn't going to happen. Cool actions scenes, and shipping are about all the show has to offer at this point. 

Exactly this.

Archived