Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

Just now, The Sunland Lord said:

Who is Carol?

Show! Cersei. Though she transformed into Cheryl at the end of Season 6. 

Since most characters on the show having nothing to do with their book counterparts anymore, they get new names in order to emphasise how different they are from their book versions. 

Here's the Booksnob glossary: https://www.thefandomentals.com/book-snob-glossary/

14 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The show has become really clunky.  Like having Jon randomly start ranting about the army of the dead to a bunch of people who have never met him, giving no background or detail.  Jon's entire half of the discussion was for the audience, not the show characters.

I have no idea what they were trying to do with Bran....the show often makes characters look bad by their poor writing and plotting when that isn't their intention.

:agree:

There are so many examples of the latter, but the best example is probably Sandra not telling Jon about the KotV last year which let many people to wonder if she wanted to get him killed. Or Jonny this year who comes off as completely incompetent (again) though the show wants us to root for him. Same with Deadpan. 

My guess is that they want to portray Bran as traumatised/ and or removed from the real world, because he's living in his visions. However, they write it very badly and don't allocate enough screetime to it

25 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

This

Some parts of the dialogues are like they were thinking the audience doesnt understand anything

LIke last' weeks' High Valyrian, pointing out that Dany might be TPTWP as well as JOn...

I bet Sam is gonna happen with Sam in the next episodes. He is probably gonna read some important historical information in the scrolls he's supposed to copy and he will explain everything so that the audience understands it. 

30 minutes ago, Queen of Procrastination said:

Show! Cersei. Though she transformed into Cheryl at the end of Season 6. 

Since most characters on the show having nothing to do with their book counterparts anymore, they get new names in order to emphasise how different they are from their book versions. 

Here's the Booksnob glossary: https://www.thefandomentals.com/book-snob-glossary/

Is that it. Well that's a too long.

Excellent critique of the show's problem with character development.

http://theweek.com/articles/715640/game-thrones-starks-problem

Take, for example, Sansa's competence in "The Queen's Justice." Did you think it was strange? I did. Having complained that her father protected her and failed to teach her; having apparently learned so little from her mother that she didn't even know the words with which to receive Brienne into her service; having failed to rally any Northern families to the Stark cause; having inexplicably withheld Littlefinger's military support from Jon Snow and made dozens of other poor decisions, Sansa is suddenly outfitted with extraordinary logistical competence. The girl who couldn't convince a single Northern family to fight with her instinctively understands how to get nearby Keeps to send her all their extra grain on the understanding that they'll get it back if it goes unused? How did this happen? Is she like Sam? Did she dig up a Manual on Diplomatic Winter-Prep and follow the instructions?

This being Game of Thrones, he pointlessly backtracks. He makes a couple of good points to Daenerys, but his pitch to her is upsettingly ineffective. As Tyrion points out, what he's asking makes no sense, isn't reasonable, and his expectation that a stranger would fly to his aid on his say-so is … hard to understand. Is he really this incapable of reading an audience, or intuiting that people appreciate a story with some proof? If so, he has no business leading. He could very easily convince them by telling them he came back from the dead and showing them the scars that prove it. But no. For some reason, we're not doing that. In lieu of a useful, convincing disclosure, we get yet another instance of narrative withholding that makes Jon seem a little dumber and more hopeless — and flatlines the arc we thought he was on.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Take, for example, Sansa's competence in "The Queen's Justice." Did you think it was strange? I did. Having complained that her father protected her and failed to teach her; having apparently learned so little from her mother that she didn't even know the words with which to receive Brienne into her service; having failed to rally any Northern families to the Stark cause; having inexplicably withheld Littlefinger's military support from Jon Snow and made dozens of other poor decisions, Sansa is suddenly outfitted with extraordinary logistical competence. The girl who couldn't convince a single Northern family to fight with her instinctively understands how to get nearby Keeps to send her all their extra grain on the understanding that they'll get it back if it goes unused? How did this happen? Is she like Sam? Did she dig up a Manual on Diplomatic Winter-Prep and follow the instructions?

This being Game of Thrones, he pointlessly backtracks. He makes a couple of good points to Daenerys, but his pitch to her is upsettingly ineffective. As Tyrion points out, what he's asking makes no sense, isn't reasonable, and his expectation that a stranger would fly to his aid on his say-so is … hard to understand. Is he really this incapable of reading an audience, or intuiting that people appreciate a story with some proof? If so, he has no business leading. He could very easily convince them by telling them he came back from the dead and showing them the scars that prove it. But no. For some reason, we're not doing that. In lieu of a useful, convincing disclosure, we get yet another instance of narrative withholding that makes Jon seem a little dumber and more hopeless — and flatlines the arc we thought he was on.

And why would he have  problem bending the knee if it saves lives of the Northmen, if he really doesnt care about being 'King in the North' then Tyrion was right to call him out on it.  He has no reason for resisting Deadpans stare ( i love book Dany so much I really hate calling her that, but they really do make her unlikeable, I mean she has NO EMOTION about anything).  One thing I was thinking to myself when she was asking for his allegiance was, 'ask for this shit on Dragonback Dany, it'll work babe, it worked for your ancestors and it will work now. It would be hard to refuse anyone sitting on Drogon'

However it seems weird to me that she landed on Dragonstone and is immediately talking about Jon being in open rebellion, like yeah he is, from Cersei, not from you, he doesn't even know you.  Which goes Back to your point that Jon is also asking Dany for ridiculous things, at least Thorne brought a dead hand to KL's to try to show what was going on. Lol too bad this civilization has been in the dark ages for 10K straight years and no one has invented a freaking camera yet (eye roll emoji).

Anyway the whole Jon/Dany thing is just odd, Ill admit to being a fan of the coupling, Dany envisioned it in the HotU and he is one of her destined 'mounts' so the shipping of these 2 characters does not bother me, and the actors are hot so I am sure the inevitable sex scene will be hot as well.  But idk, they are both coming off lackluster and whiny....and when did Dany get raped and despoiled? Does she mean Drogo?

She did say "I am the last Targaryen" so I assume that is why the subject of 'maybe another rider could get one of these dragons' has simply not come up at all.  The scenes from next week show her and jon walking down some stairs with a torch, and her talking about 'enough with the clever plans' so I guess she is saying 'I have to fly out on Dragonback' and really she does have to, her fleet is destroyed and Dorne is no more--she has no other choices on the show.

20 hours ago, Snormund said:

Agreed. Loved most of the first 4 seasons though!   Always wished commander Mormont had his raven in the show tho haha

Corn, corn, corn. 

Just don't go read the Corn Code, LOL 

Yeah, Mormont's Raven would have been great.  I love how it's still considered Mormont's even now, in the books. 

9 hours ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

I just rewatched the "Chaos is a ladder" scene and the scene where Rober and Cesei talk about their marriage. They still give me shivers. How brilliant it was! How could it come to this now? It's not about the books, both scenes aren't in the books. These scenes were just f**ing good written and acted.

Sorry but I really don't understand how is "Chaos is a ladder" scene in any way better than "Fight every battle with everyone everywhere". In fact, the first one is even more unrealistic, considering that at least him giving some advice to Sansa is not unimaginable, but him arguing with Varys about what is chaos just doesn't seem realistic in any universe.

22 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Some parts of the article are nice, but there is something I utterly disagree with:

I was puzzled but not surprised, therefore, by how quickly her loyalty to Jon Snow went out the window on Bran's return. All those nice sibling moments between her and Jon meant nothing. Her acknowledgment of him was 100 percent provisional, and the old conventions we thought she'd outgrown, having seen more of the world, reasserted themselves instantly. 

SHe is acknowledging the rightful heir because in theory (eyeroll) they didn't know he was alive. Nothing to do with Jon SNow. One of the few moments that I enjoyed from this episode, and this paragraph of the article had to mention this as a flaw. And what does it have to do with sibling moments? Can't she love both Bran and Jon as siblings?

I agree with that though:

I've seen some theories floating around that Bran has simply seen too much; he's lost track of normal human emotions. Maybe that's right, but it certainly hasn't been written into his arc. A single scene with a worried Meera trying to get him to converse normally could have done a lot to explain what's going on with him. Absent that, we're forced to accept that he's just different now. Maybe it's because the Night King touched him. Maybe he's traumatized by Hodor's time loop. Maybe Three-Eyed Ravens aren't supposed to emote. Who knows? The point is that his arc is no such thing, and his development is meaningless and not worth pondering

The amount of screentime for Bran, one of the main characters in the books and the horrible writing is responsible of what we have to see about him now, which makes no sense. Even Isaac who plays it perfectly can't save the fact we lack of understanding of the situation, and I think they did it on purpose bc they just don't care about the character because he is not one of the Super Four ones. How much time did Jonerys last in this episode in comparison...and the outcome of that was....I don't bend the knee, you want me to bend the knee....boring and stupid...only leading to boatsex, which is the only thing they planned for this season.

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 2:47 PM, StepStark said:

Sorry but I really don't understand how is "Chaos is a ladder" scene in any way better than "Fight every battle with everyone everywhere". In fact, the first one is even more unrealistic, considering that at least him giving some advice to Sansa is not unimaginable, but him arguing with Varys about what is chaos just doesn't seem realistic in any universe.

"Fight every battle with everyone everywhere always in your mind" is just a different level of bonkers. 

I think that map even under estimates the travels, shouldn't Euron start out in the Iron Islands?  Where he built those thousand ships in the time it took Stormborn to sail from Essos and hit Dragonstone, LOL. 

And, all of that plot hole navy unnecessary.  They could have just made it clear that "Yara" grabbed some of the ships and the rest were left to Euron, instead of taking ALL the ships, and having him rant about rebuilding the navy.  It would have been so so easy not to create the plot hole.  But, that isn't how the showrunners roll.  They have never met a plot hole they didn't like.

On 7/23/2017 at 11:38 PM, sweetsunray said:

Dany is inconsistent: she never asked Yara to bend the knee to her, and she could be Queen of the Iron Islands. But hey the King in the North must come and bend the knee... Characters change attitude and mind on stuff without reason.

The St Tyrion line about having good insight into people's characters made me gag: yeah, that insight was what made him try to come to a cooperate relatinship with Cersei in S2, help a sadistic psychopath like Joffrey keep the throne, send his niece to evil sand snakes, and make peace with slavers who try to invade anyway. And with his type of invasion plans for this season he'll end up gaingin CR and Dany nothing. He's starting to look more and more like a moronic choice by Dany to make Hand, but I'm not sure whether that's actually what D&D are after, or whether that's a by-product of their writing that sacrifices characterisation for plot.

Probably because the North was one of the main realms that rebelled against the Iron Throne? The Greyjoys didn't do much during that time.

Tyrion didn't know that the Sand Snakes were going to go nuts like that though.

I personally think D&D missed a good opportunity. In Dragonstone, Jon says that all from 10 to 60 should be trained in arms. Sansa falls under that category and I would like to see Sansa being able to hold the line at Winterfell while Jon's in the South. 

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I think that map even under estimates the travels, shouldn't Euron start out in the Iron Islands?  Where he built those thousand ships in the time it took Stormborn to sail from Essos and hit Dragonstone, LOL. 

And, all of that plot hole navy unnecessary.  They could have just made it clear that "Yara" grabbed some of the ships and the rest were left to Euron, instead of taking ALL the ships, and having him rant about rebuilding the navy.  It would have been so so easy not to create the plot hole.  But, that isn't how the showrunners roll.  They have never met a plot hole they didn't like.

Yup Euron should go; Iron Islands>KL> Battle to take Yara's fleet>KL>Casterly Rock

5 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Probably because the North was one of the main realms that rebelled against the Iron Throne? The Greyjoys didn't do much during that time.

Tyrion didn't know that the Sand Snakes were going to go nuts like that though.

I personally think D&D missed a good opportunity. In Dragonstone, Jon says that all from 10 to 60 should be trained in arms. Sansa falls under that category and I would like to see Sansa being able to hold the line at Winterfell while Jon's in the South. 

Sansa is not a warrior. She's not going to be leading anyone on a battlefield and nothing in her arc even hints at her doing so. Sansa being trained in arms now and suddenly being a competent warrior makes zero sense.

Arya however, is a warrior. It would make a lot more sense for her to be able to "hold the line" or lead the defence at Winterfell than Sansa. 

1 hour ago, Gaz0680 said:

Sansa is not a warrior. She's not going to be leading anyone on a battlefield and nothing in her arc even hints at her doing so. Sansa being trained in arms now and suddenly being a competent warrior makes zero sense.

Arya however, is a warrior. It would make a lot more sense for her to be able to "hold the line" or lead the defence at Winterfell than Sansa. 

We never saw Sansa be taught how to prepare for winter and prudently hoard food either, but she still does that. We need to unshackle ourselves from what we think "would make zero sense" because the writers already have.

7 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

from reddit:

This just depresses me these days. Literally anything can happen,at any time and that's just the way it is.  

21 hours ago, Gaz0680 said:

Just look at the Battle of Castle Black. When the chips are down, everyone will have to fight, so she might as well learn how. Sansa doesn't have to be competent, just enough to survive. 

The impression I'm getting from non-book readers from other areas is that this show is essentially a soap opera to them. They don't think through the logistics because anything CAN happen and probably will. They cheer on certain characters regardless of whether or not actions or space and time make sense. 

Dragonball Z and pro wrestling make more sense than this show. (I enjoy both.)

I know we're getting plenty of non-book-reader criticism on the show now, but I can't wait for the inevitable deluge of "now that it's over, let's all call it overrated/not-as-good-as-you-remember-it-being for clickbait!" articles to come out. 

Archived