Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

4 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Despite how little sense it makes, we can pretty much conclude that Tormund and Beric somehow survived the attack on the Wall, right? 

Yup. The shot of Tormund watching the Wall fall behind, sloppy as it is edited, it's probably meant to show that they managed to run to the part that still stands. Beric wont survive much longer, he'll die saving Tormund i think, not much of a character to keep on a 6 episode final season.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I'm not even sure we can get to Dany being pregnant to a childbirth in just six episodes.

That is not difficult at all. We can get to that within one episode -- namely, the final episode -- all we need is time skips. 

24 minutes ago, Faint said:

That is not difficult at all. We can get to that within one episode -- namely, the final episode -- all we need is time skips. 

Well, I was going without any time jumps at the very end. The plot will be over by then, of course.

5 hours ago, Skills said:

I read through the desinerd "leaks," and I truly hope they are fake.  But the way S7 ended, a lot of it seems like it will line up.  And they are pretty detailed, if they are fake, somebody spent a LOT of time on it.  

not only are they detailed, they sound similarly horrendous to season 7 and like something the show runners would do. You saw the ridiculousness of season 7 where Cersei had no power to defend herself against Dany yet Dany ends up begging Cersei for a truce, BEGGING. A season where they had a ridiculous plan of going beyond the wall to catch a wight, why?, because Cersei needs to be convinced of i dont know what. She had no power to help and wouldnt help if she had and they knew it but she needs to be convinced and begged to for some reason. Oh the same ridiculous plan gave a dragon to the nights king so he could pass the wall. So basically if they had left the walkers alone, the walkers would have left them alone. Those season 8 spoilers follow the same crap of weakening  dany and the north and keeping Cersei in power and actually making her more powerful with the golden company. Having most of the heroes die and humiliating Dany's corpse at King's Landing all for the sake of Cersei falls in line with the show runners mentality.

15 hours ago, tormond said:

that would be logical, good writing and fans desires, but the show rubbers like Ccersei in power, damn logic.

There was enough tension between all the Southern characters (Greyjoys, Martells, Tyrells, Tarlys) & the Main Cast to fill a few episodes.  But nah they trashed 'em to keep Cersei around.

p.s. i say Tyrells cuz i think Mace&Loras could have been spared for S7 filler. S6's finale still had Kevan, Pycelle, High Sparrow, Tommen, and Marg dying. Hell, King and Queen dying aas enough.

33 minutes ago, tormond said:

not only are they detailed, they sound similarly horrendous to season 7 and like something the show runners would do. You saw the ridiculousness of season 7 where Cersei had no power to defend herself against Dany yet Dany ends up begging Cersei for a truce, BEGGING. A season where they had a ridiculous plan of going beyond the wall to catch a wight, why?, because Cersei needs to be convinced of i dont know what. She had no power to help and wouldnt help if she had and they knew it but she needs to be convinced and begged to for some reason. Oh the same ridiculous plan gave a dragon to the nights king so he could pass the wall. So basically if they had left the walkers alone, the walkers would have left them alone. Those season 8 spoilers follow the same crap of weakening  dany and the north and keeping Cersei in power and actually making her more powerful with the golden company. Having most of the heroes die and humiliating Dany's corpse at King's Landing all for the sake of Cersei falls in line with the show runners mentality.

These are my fears as well.

The worst thing is that if the Season 8 leaks are real they must significantly reflect GRRM'S intentions for the ultimate ending.

Which makes me feel nauseous and murderously angry in equal parts.

I only read the "Season 8 potential leaks" yesterday, after watching the finale ...They made a lot of sense to me re: the show and even the books.

It's true the Season 7 script leak ages ago means that how the "Season 8 potential leaks" fits with Season 7 isn't determinative, because Season 7 was already out there ....

But the ending and the writing just seems too detailed and D&D-ish to be discounted.

Spoiler

In particular:

1.  It makes sense that the battle against the dead will go way lower than Winterfell.

2.  It makes sense that the Eyrie will be involved -- all the stuff about the Eyrie being taken.

3.  Rhaegal v Viserion makes sense.

4.  Dany dying in childbirth makes sense

5.  Arya and the Hound meeting up and going for Cersei makes sense

6.  Making Riverrun a focus makes sense.

7.  Tyrion surviving as regent to J+D's child makes sense

8.  Bran getting turned into the next NK is pretty clever and makes sense - but I hate it

tl;dr -- I am extremely disturbed that the Season 8 leaks are real, and 

But if GRRM never knew exactly how the story ended, then there are all sorts of possibilities, but mainly:

1.  GRRM was 100% truthful and open in telling D&D the ending, as best he knew it at the time.

2.  (Consistent with 1) GRRM changed his mind in big ways and small ways in actually writing the books.

3.  (Also consistent with 1) GRRM changed his mind to intentionally diverge from the show.

4.  GRRM was never 100% open or truthful about the ending.

In other words: the show HAS changed the books .... if the show didn't exist, GRRM might have been much more straightforward but is now going to add even more twists than he otherwise would have.

In light of that, the only sure things are who dies and who survives of the main characters.

Spoiler

But I am most disturbed by the Bran turns in the NK thing.  Really, that means that all the shit with 3ER, greenseers etc is just another "jump the wight" moment, but it would be ultimately attributable to GRRM.

In other words - the Others are explained/justified only really by the fact that the CoTF created them as terminators ... that's it.  And the only rationale for Bran's whole plot line is that once raised by a WW he will become a new NK. Gah.

Dialogue cringeworthy and nonsensical as it has been all season.

So, the whole premise of Sansa getting on to LF is he basically tells her the real reason Arya could have for killing Sansa is that she wants to be Lady of Winterfell which Sansa knows is last thing Arya wants. Fine.

Then why the hell do they have Sansa ask Arya "Does that bother you?" at end when Arya says Sansa is Lady of Winterfell. That just makes Sansa seem stupid asking a question she by definition as explained earlier in episode, already knows the answer to.

The reply the writers hd Arya give "I knew Id never be as good a Lady as you so I had to be something else" essentially implies the only reason Arya took a different path than Lady is because Sansa was just too good at it for Arya to compete, which is just stupid.

Aryas whole arc is based on identity and her knowing who she is and a part of that is her never wanting to become a Lady. Sansa had nothing to do with it. Wouldnt have mattered if Sansa died at start of Season 1 leaving Arya as eldest female Stark, Arya would still have never wanted to be Lady of Winterfell. 

These show writers grrr

28 minutes ago, Aemon Targaryen said:

The worst thing is that if the Season 8 leaks are real they must significantly reflect GRRM'S intentions for the ultimate ending.

Sorry, but neither Nik nor Liam have had any scripts yet. So, the alleged S8 scripts are :bs:

And no it doesn't make sense for them to spend budget from location to location. Production and budget wise those alleged scripts are :bs:

They will be concentrating their resources as much as they can. Lots will have to go to CGI for dragons and wights, and there's nothign to spare for all those locations.

D&D already said that even their endgame may not be exactly the same as GRRMs, and they're doing nothing but plotzee with aFfC and aDwD arcs even in S7. Aegon's been plotzeed across Cersei, Dany and Jon. Other than that they used Jon's LC political plot of aDwD into S7 and likely even S8, except not as LC but as KitN: ignoring his advizors, Cersei demanding neutrality. Only now Jaime has done in S7 what he does in aDwD, but instead with a letter, he does it face to face with Cersei. Cersei is now totally dilusional as her aFfC part.

Are the leaks that everyone's talking about the ones that this guy posted on reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/user/Kylaspikkel

I'm actually curious to see if HBO's going to try some sort of elaborate scheme next season, like many of us suspected Lads was prior to the leaks being verified (i.e. having an employee "leak" a plot that lines up with the shooting schedule but contains mostly false information).

14 minutes ago, Gaz0680 said:

The reply the writers hd Arya give "I knew Id never be as good a Lady as you so I had to be something else" essentially implies the only reason Arya took a different path than Lady is because Sansa was just too good at it for Arya to compete, which is just stupid.

Aryas whole arc is based on identity and her knowing who she is and a part of that is her never wanting to become a Lady. Sansa had nothing to do with it. Wouldnt have mattered if Sansa died at start of Season 1 leaving Arya as eldest female Stark, Arya would still have never wanted to be Lady of Winterfell. 

Well, Arya's first chapter in aGoT does show that Arya chooses partly for her path, because Sansa's better at it all. So, it's not completely bullshit. There's ugly duckling worked into Arya's story, including several literary elements from Anderson's story. Arya would like to be a swan. A Swann tells her she's pretty and she remembers the woman favorably exactly for that reason. She's a fangirl of the courtesans of Braavos. She talks of them like idols. So, it's not incorrect that to a certain extent Arya wants to be pretty and a lady too. But one of her first thoughts is that "of course she gets to be paired with fat Tommen, while her pretty perfect sister gets paired with handsome Joffrey." That doesn't mean she dislikes the path she took, or that it doesn't suit her as a tomboy. Of course it does. But a part of her "that's not me" comes from insecurity about her looks and scolding of the septa how unladylike she is, and being sure her mother would reject her if her hair is tangled. It's not a black and white choice imo, 's all I'm saying.

I changed my mind of the leaks for season 8 by desinerd. I have read somewhere, that the show authors themselves have written some fake stuff. This could be it. The atmosphere of those leaks has a similar air of parody as the whole season 7, but if GoT team wrote them themselves, it explains it. So maybe we can expect a real version to be equally demented, but preserve e.g. the valonquar prophecy.

2 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Just realized why they kept Jaime glued to Cerseir for so long... for the Jonerys parallel. Jaime finally walks away from Cersei. Jon does what Ygritte would call abomination. :bang:

interesting parallel. Maybe it's a subtle way to tell the audience this is not gonna end well.

30 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Are the leaks that everyone's talking about the ones that this guy posted on reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/user/Kylaspikkel

I'm actually curious to see if HBO's going to try some sort of elaborate scheme next season, like many of us suspected Lads was prior to the leaks being verified (i.e. having an employee "leak" a plot that lines up with the shooting schedule but contains mostly false information).

That's what they should do if they care about the show!

I mean, the whole thing leaked eight months in advance....everything almost 100% true

Even the cast acknowledged it

2 hours ago, Zombies That Were Promised said:

There was enough tension between all the Southern characters (Greyjoys, Martells, Tyrells, Tarlys) & the Main Cast to fill a few episodes.  But nah they trashed 'em to keep Cersei around.

p.s. i say Tyrells cuz i think Mace&Loras could have been spared for S7 filler. S6's finale still had Kevan, Pycelle, High Sparrow, Tommen, and Marg dying. Hell, King and Queen dying aas enough.

Exactly, take Cersei out in the first 2-3 episodes then have all the politics and drama that would had come with Daenerys on the iron throne. You could have had the tarlys and daynes and other powerfull houses not being too happy. You could have introduced new characters to the mix and let them have their say. Then comes jon and his trouble from the north. The story would have been a lot richer without the lannisters. And it also would have fulfilled Dany's goal at least for a while.

Archived