Rant and Rave without Repercussions [S7 Leaks Edition]

Little Scribe of Naath

Brienne drops back to walk with the Hound and she like…yeah, so this awkward. Cuz…I really thought I killed your ass my guy. Brienne talkin’ about how she was just trying to protect Arya…even though Arya is the one that told her she didn’t want to go with her. Ok. Feels a bit aggressive for protection in retrospect, but ok. After saying she’s in Winterfell, Hound ask who’s protecting her and Brienne is like, yo…you don’t know the half son. Arya is a fuckin’ sociopath now bruh. Like empathy does not compute, T-1000 type shit. Half the North might be merked by the time I make it back.

And yo, the Hound looked fuckin’ proud man. As he he should. She got the game from the House of Black and White. She got that fuckin’ ruthlessness from dat boy with the dogs on his sigil...

So…can we talk about the conclusion of this fucking Sansa / Arya drama? Here’s the deal, if it was an elaborate ruse where both Sansa and Arya were setting up LRO, then who was the audience (besides us, the literal audience) that witnessed this discord? Who would then report this back to LRO, solidifying the theater of this tension between the sisters? That answer, as the show provided, was nobody. One scene on a balcony with no one around and another in an isolated room when Sansa found the faces.

So, essentially, the only people that were supposed to be fooled in those scenes…was us. Which makes that just shitty writing... Fam, Little Restraining Order in his place of power in a dark ass room giving council to Sansa. In the span of 90 seconds, he done thrown both Jon and Arya under the bus. This whole scene, everybody gotta be like…Sansa, you ain’t this dense girl. This whole possible plot by Arya revolves around her wanting to be Lady of Winterfell, which is literally, some shit she never wanted. Like…you know what, I’m tired of talking about this manufactured ass subplot until I have to…

http://blacknerdproblems.com/game-of-thrones-recap-the-dragon-and-the-wolf/

Lots more good stuff, I just picked a couple out!

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

That's a good point. For instance, this guy wrote a pretty compelling outline, but seeing as it was posted by some random guy on reddit without any sort of explanation, it's probably false: https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/6u4syx/season_8anybody_heard_about_this/dlpwxaj/?context=3

The problem with all these fake spoilers is that they do not account for the obvious (i.e., that Daenerys will birth a child). Benioff and Weiss are nothing if not consistently unsubtle. 

Gamespot Universe has an interesting idea on Tyrion. He made a deal with Cersei for their child to be Dany's heir. On the surface, Tyrion can argue that Cersei's child as Dany's heir could be healing if she can never have her own heirs, so no harm, no foul. But Tyrion hears Jon and Dany and begins to think about the deal he's made if Dany should conceive.

Also creates an interesting dynamic where Jaime the father leaves to join Jon/Dany, and Tyrion steps in to be the father-figure against Jon/Dany (should she conceive).

1 minute ago, Lollygag said:

Gamespot Universe has an interesting idea on Tyrion. He made a deal with Cersei for their child to be Dany's heir. On the surface, Tyrion can argue that Cersei's child as Dany's heir could be healing if she can never have her own heirs, so no harm, no foul. But Tyrion hears Jon and Dany and begins to think about the deal he's made if Dany should conceive.

Also creates an interesting dynamic where Jaime the father leaves to join Jon/Dany, and Tyrion steps in to be the father-figure against Jon/Dany (should she conceive).

I don't see it. Tyrion's entire point was moving away from dynastic succession. I think Tyrion's concern is more centered on how the relationship will play among their nominal allies, especially the North and the Vale. Whatever argument Jon had that the only reason he bent the knee to Daenerys was for the good of the North and because she proved her worth has now been thrown out the window. The lords of the North and Vale will now suspect that what gained Jon's allegiance has everything to do with what's between Dany's legs and nothing to do with anything else. 

Somebody on reddit made a great post on how easily with a few changes the Winterfell plot could have been compelling and believable:

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/6wqnmj/spoilers_extended_a_simple_proposed_fix_for_the/

I  think it's pretty good and compared to what we actually got it's downright brilliant. And proves that the main problem is not that D&D didn't have original material to adapt.  It's they either are horrible writers or don't care. Because the basic plot they had could have been executed to be a coherent and compelling story with just a modicum of effort in the writer's room to make it work. They just didn't put in the work.

All Lannisters deserve to reap what they achieved and attempted to upon the other Houses... Extermination. I would like to start with the Imp.

Why would Dany or anyone agree to reward House Lannsiter with even the potential of yet another Cersei incest brat ruling over everyone?

22 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

ABOMINATION, kill the IMP Now.

I just loved how Cersei was the one to basically make this 'why anybody even wants to talk to Cersei' point by noticing that she can't make a difference in the war on ice zombies anyway.

And loved how LF basically got killed because he was given a trial in a kangaroo court and Sansa and Arya just wanted to kill him and nobody else simply gave a shit about whether he was actually guilty. Why did they even bother with a trial, if they didn't have anything to prove to him? They could've just killed him without explaining this to anyone, it's not like Royce would've complain and the Northern lords simply didn't care about those southern dramas, lol. The trial Cersei and Tyrin threw for Tyrion looks good now.

And Jaime's huff about Cersei keeping secrets from him. I mean bro, you like freed your brother from a cell once and he went up and killed your father. And she blew up half of the city which led to your son suicide. BUT NO, it's conspiring with Euron that is the real problem.

Also I loved how all the royalty politely waited for some Clegane guy to walk out make a rant to his obviously uninterested zombie brother. And how everybody was cool with Euron just walking away (well, sans Cersei, but if he was pretend-leaving her, it was doubly suspicious that she wasn't reacting).

Also, are we supposed now to root for incest or to see it as sick? Because I'm slightly confused by the romantic playing of Kit/Emilia hookup.

23 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

Just realized why they kept Jaime glued to Cerseir for so long... for the Jonerys parallel. Jaime finally walks away from Cersei. Jon does what Ygritte would call abomination. :bang:

EXACTLY!!!  Jaime was sacrificed for the incest parallel.  One couple ending, one starting.  It is beyond aggravating.  It even came up in one of Nik's interviews, passing the incest baton. 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  :tantrum:

So forgive me for writing something that many others have surely commented on, but I just have to get it out. I just can't get over how incredibly stupid (on a multitude of levels) the whole wight hunt/armistice "negotiations" plotlines were. Just to take one point. After Daenerys' crushing victory over the Lannister/Tarly forces close to King's Landing (which ends with the remaining Lannister/Tarly forces actually pledging to fight for her), Cersei is in a desperate military situation - she and Jaime themselves seem to aknowledge as much. This is the moment for Daenerys to deliver the final blow and attack KL. It's the only thing that makes sense - militarily, politically, even from a humanitarian perspective (try to end the war with Cersei now instead of having it drag on and on and on). And it would certainly make sense from the perspective of becoming able to deal more efficiently with the threat from beyond the wall - after delivering the final blow to Cersei, Dany and Jon could focus on that threat without having to worry about being stabbed in the back, as they, entireley precictable, will have to worry about now. But instead of at least TRYING to take KL, those characters who we are supposed to root for instead act in almost the dumbest and most incompetent manner which it is possible to imagine - namely, they apparently cease fighting the Lannisters while Jon and his merry company go on the wight hunt. Now, even if I buy the premise that this hunt makes any sense in itself (it does not), WHY NOT AT LEAST TRY TO TAKE, OR AT LEAST BESIEGE, KINGS'S LANDING WHILE THE HUNT IS CARRIED OUT (as a matter of fact, the whole wight hunt should have taken months to conduct), making Cersei's situation even more desperate. Why give her (without getting anything in return) the time to recuperate and plot a military comeback? Why? Why? Why?

The execution of the whole wight hunt plotline is, of course, as stupid as it gets. It is so stupid on so may levels - the whole idea of it, that it is the King in the North himself which goes on the hunt, Gendry's run, the conveniently placed island, Dany's rescue operation on her Boeing Dragons, the Benjen deux ex machina twist, that they don't wear any hats (I wish I could take D and D out trekking in the mountains on a cold winter day here in Norway, and they would have to be without hats) etc, etc etc.

As a matter of fact, the whole plot is so stupid that it is hard not to assume that D and D has taken note of some of the criticism of earlier seasons, and actually decided to caricature their own show (this is not the case, of course, they probably still take their own story super-seriously or something). So I just have to conclude, as many have done in other threads, that all the main characters are so stupid and incompetent that the Night's King is the only one which it makes any sense to root for at this point.

2 hours ago, Wight nr 121 said:

So forgive me for writing something that many others have surely commented on, but I just have to get it out. I just can't get over how incredibly stupid (on a multitude of levels) the whole wight hunt/armistice "negotiations" plotlines were. (..) Now, even if I buy the premise that this hunt makes any sense in itself (it does not), WHY NOT AT LEAST TRY TO TAKE, OR AT LEAST BESIEGE, KINGS'S LANDING WHILE THE HUNT IS CARRIED OUT (as a matter of fact, the whole wight hunt should have taken months to conduct), making Cersei's situation even more desperate. Why give her (without getting anything in return) the time to recuperate and plot a military comeback? Why? Why? Why?

The execution of the whole wight hunt plotline is, of course, as stupid as it gets. It is so stupid on so may levels - the whole idea of it, that it is the King in the North himself which goes on the hunt, Gendry's run, the conveniently placed island, Dany's rescue operation on her Boeing Dragons, the Benjen deux ex machina twist, that they don't wear any hats (I wish I could take D and D out trekking in the mountains on a cold winter day here in Norway, and they would have to be without hats) etc, etc etc.

As a matter of fact, the whole plot is so stupid that it is hard not to assume that D and D has taken note of some of the criticism of earlier seasons, and actually decided to caricature their own show (this is not the case, of course, they probably still take their own story super-seriously or something). So I just have to conclude, as many have done in other threads, that all the main characters are so stupid and incompetent that the Night's King is the only one which it makes any sense to root for at this point.

That. Without the books as a backgroud source to ground the story, it all went dumber and dumber down the line, the only thing that could possibly be said about the storyline now is that it is as stupid as you can get within this particular setting. All the characters have become caricatures of their former selves. 

I took issues with the show since when they decided to change the reason for Robb's wedding (the wrong choiche for the wrong reasons versus the wrong choice for the right reasons), which IMHO was the beginning of the dumbing down of the show, but now it makes my brain bleed. 

Which is why, on the whole, even if I think improbable that the season 8 "leaks" are genuine, so far, I am still expecting something very, very similar from the showrunners. They just seem to repeatedly hit the bottom of the stupidity well, and still they dig for more. 

On 08/29/2017 at 6:58 AM, MarieAntoinette said:

I really hope those leaks are fake too. If they are real, and the books also end similarly I would be so disappointed.

If these leaks are true, I won't even bother to buy the last books. I won't be interested in that disaster  any longer…

1 hour ago, Nowy Tends said:

If these leaks are true, I won't even bother to buy the last books. I won't be interested in that disaster  any longer…

I used to think that the main events in the series would have mirrored the main events in the books, even if the road taken from event A to event B might have been different. Now I find it hard to believe even that. I cannot believe that GRRM would use such a stupid, nonsensical plot. I do not recognise any character in the current season. Littlefinger is stupid, useless, excessively coward. Arya is a psycho. Bran sounds like a comic show. Jon is a brave idiot who still knows nothing. Dany is alternatively depicted as some kind of social revolutionary and a pyromaniac. Tyrion plans always end up in unmitigated disaster. Jaime went down his book arc up to season 4, then he went back to be a nice Golden Retriever for Cercei, now suddenly he remembers his personality. Even NCW said that he does not know if this is finally the moment that Jaime leaves Cercei for good, or not. 

Maybe in the books LF will die, but I don't believe he will die in such a convoluted, useless plot. And maybe Jon, Dany, Jaime, Tormund, Brienne etc. will all die, but I think that, if it will be so, it will make sense, it will be for a reason, the end of a well developed story, not some BS trown at your face just for shock value.

I blame myself for deciding to watch the show because of my craving for more ASOIAF.

Archived